Read 1870 times

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
Construction woes
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:41:52 pm »
I'm not sure if I'm writing this for advice or just to complain.  I'm really not sure there is any advice out there.

I moved into my new apartment last September.  It's provided by my school, which is under SMOE.  When I moved in there was construction outside, about 100 feet from my only window.  Hammers and electric saws at 6am sharp every morning.  I went and investigated and it turned out they were almost done, so I lived with it (what choice did I have anyway).  After about a month-month and a half they were done and I could sleep in a bit on the weekends.

Then about 2 weeks later (end of October-ish) they knocked down the building right next to mine and started construction there.  At first it actually wasn't that bad, but it's gotten steadily worse since.  It's about 2 feet from my building and there are hallway windows that face them (I'm in a war with someone trying to keep them shut, but that's another story).  I'm 3 doors down from those windows, so not very far from the site.  I guess you could say these guys are a bit more considerate than the others because they start up at 7am and sometimes take a Sunday off.  However, this past month has gotten terrible and I now sleep with earplugs in the hopes that I can actually ignore it.  It's been in vain. 

Now this past Monday I was shook out of bed at 6am, earplugs and all, to the sound of doom.  I ran to my window to find a large machine demolishing the building directly outside my window.  Like 10 feet away.  I go down and several ajummas are already screaming at the guys, but to no avail.  This is a very tight space and I was sure they were going to hit either my building or the other one also 10 feet away.  Every morning this week they've been there, 6am sharp!, to do some mild work but the real construction hasn't even started yet.  If that other site is waking me up and giving me headaches from that distance, I can just imagine what this one is going to be like. 

I'm just at a loss.  No sleep or rest or quiet for the next 6 months, minimum?  I'm so frustrated with myself because I just agreed to stay here and my school signed a new lease starting this month.  I figured the other site would be finished soon enough (and when I agreed it hadn't gotten as bad as it is now).  I've been really unlucky with construction in Seoul.  I know it's a growing city, but every single place (5 places now) has become a construction zone.  I've been forced to move a couple of times because it became unlivable- and unsafe.   

Like I said, I know Seoul is modernizing and growing and this is all what we love about the place.  But aren't there noise laws?  6am, seriously?  Saturday and Sundays?  Seriously?!!  This is mostly rhetorical, by the way.  And some people will say it's good because then they're done faster.  Well, that place next door has been hammering away for over 4 months now and they just completed the basement. 

I would drink away my problems but I fear my hangover being woken up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to hammers and saws.   :'(
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:11:59 pm by orangeman »

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Construction woes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:31:14 pm »
Ahh, the pleasures of living in the countryside!

Gloating aside, I feel for you. I'm a fairly light sleeper. I sleep with earplugs anyway even though there's nothing that would wake up most people. The hourly click of the fridge would probably startle me awake on a bad night.

Hit up your friends and if they're ever away for a weekend, beg them to let you "house-sit."

Take your earplugs down to the jimjibang (for the snorers), get steamy, rest, unwind, and try to sleep there. Not necessarily overnight (sleeping in a strange place isn't great) but a nap in the morning might be possible and set you up for a nice Saturday/Sunday. Plus, it gets you away from the incessant noise.

Try to turn it to your advantage and become one of those morning people. You could cram in a run and a visit to the jimjibang before most people have wiped the sleep from their eyes on a Sunday morning.

Cover up any gaps in your windows with bits of fabric.

OK, that last one was lame but basically I think there's not much you can do. It's going to be about how you react to it rather than what you can strictly do about it. Good luck, mate.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
Excessive noise is a reasonable reason to break a lease on a place.

Tell your school you need to sleep.  If not, imagine how your school would react if you put some large speakers blaring at the school recorded construction noise for 8 hours a day on high volume.

They know it's not good, but it's a pain to move you.  But you'll either snap from exhaustion or quit and go home to literally get a nights sleep.

Get them to move you, or quit.  Either way, sleep deprivation does some horrific things to you physically and mentally.

MC

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:11:52 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if your school won't break your lease, especially since one solution is to go to bed earlier (6AM? 8 hours of sleep if you go to bed at 10PM).
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:43:13 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I doubt my school can do anything about it, though. 

As for the waking up early, that's only half the battle (although I've always been a night owl and literally can't even fall asleep before midnight at the earliest most nights).  And I'm really not a morning person.  I know that's treated as a joke in our culture, but people have to realize that different folks have different sleep patterns.  I hit my ultimate REM early in the morning.  I did wake up at 6am for years and I experienced some pretty crazy health effects from it.  It's pretty unnatural when you have to use drugs to get you to fall asleep and then other drugs to get you through the morning.  But fine, I'll get up at 6am for the next few months, but the noise is very intrusive and ruins any chance of having a pleasant morning.  That's what I've been doing all week and I leave the house with a headache and a chip on my shoulder.  I'm forced to just leave my apartment most of the weekend as well (I do stay at friends' places).  But then, what's the point of having this apartment?  I actually pay more on top of my school's allowance because there was nothing suitable in the area and the last teacher found this place.  Think of it like you bought a car, but now they're doing construction on you parking garage so you're only able to drive it a couple of hours a day, at a very inconvenient time.  That's not very fair, is it?  I pay for this apartment and a bit of inconvenience is inevitable in a big city like Seoul but it's getting to the breaking point.  Hey, they can knock themselves out from 9-5 during the week.  But is it really necessary to start drilling at 6am and go till 9pm 7 days a week?  Less soju lunch breaks, more common decency to your neighbours.

And don't get me started on the adjoshis who work in an office below me and stand in the open stairwell smoking and spitting all day while scream-talking. 

Told you I have a chip on my shoulder this week. >:(

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:10:31 am »
You're preaching to the choir about the sleeping drugs, mate :3

I have had to either take prescription drugs or OTC diphenhydramine compounds because I have insomnia. I know its quite hard to fall asleep, especially when you have a medical reason for it, but schools seem to be generally uncompromising about the issue (moving out due to sleep problems).

This barking dog and my watch probably compose 3/7 days a week of me being sleepless but I feel and have been told nothing could be done without me trying to find my own place + key money.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Suz-goose
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 07:33:45 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »
Yeah that really blows. I walked out of a job for a similar reason. I was only there for two months. I just couldn't bare the noise. I stayed at friend's houses every weekend and blew a ton of money sleeping in motels and jimjilbangs. Demand they move you. The difference it makes to your attitude and quality of life is unmeasurable. I can't stress it enough, move now!