Read 1211 times

Progressive Teaching
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »
I'm looking for ideas to make my classroom more progressive. Does anyone have advice on ways to better incorporate learning English to the lives of the students.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
Re: Progressive Teaching
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
follow them down the street and yell English phrases at them?

Serious post, what do you mean by 'progressive?'

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:14:49 pm »
Hahaha, yes I suppose that would work. Sorry that question is a little broad, but maybe I can narrow it down. This is my first time teaching in Korea and I've heard a lot of talk about using games with students to help them learn. I want to go past that though, and actually develop a longer term project that would relate to their lives, but also incorporate learning to speak English. So I am looking for ideas on something I could do with the students that would engage them in that manner. I know the structure of Korean classrooms is very teacher centered, but I want to try a more student centered approach. Do you think this will be possible? Or perhaps, will it be too difficult given that they are accustomed to a traditional teacher centered method?

• goldilox
  • Waygookin

• March 04, 2012, 02:57:46 pm
    • Anyang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:59 pm »
Just keep it relevant and roleplay as much as possible. If they are really young teach them colors and animal vocabulary then let them use their words in phrases like, "I like tigers." You'd be surprised how much children talk about animals, no matter what language it is. If you're teaching older students, for example how to order in a restaurant, have one student be the server and another the customer. If you really want them to have fun give them personalities out of ordinary for them. Give the quiet student the role of angry customer, and the rowdy student the role of compliant and understanding server etc. It puts them out of their heads and into the game. Hope that helps!

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:54:00 pm »
Yeah that is an awesome idea. I wanted to have them role play, and I really like the idea of giving them a specific personality to go with. Thanks for the tip!

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:07 pm »
http://www.anthonyteacher.com/ take a look at some of this guys stuff. He seems to be doing something along the lines what you are looking for.