Read 9155 times

• arcticfox
  • Explorer

• March 05, 2012, 07:05:48 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
Pets! In Korea
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:48:29 pm »
I'm looking for a pet, and I want to get a Ferret (maybe a hedgehog, but I'd prefer a ferret). What do you bguys think? A wise choice? Yay or nay?  :D

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
Re: Pets! In Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:38 pm »
If you make an actual effort to take the pet home with you, I say go for it.  My wife and I just got a dog and we're already preparing him for the journey home.  A lot of foreigners get sh*t for giving up their pets before leaving.  They've given us a bad wrap.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:41:25 pm by w4z »

• pjhow2000
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2011, 07:06:07 am
    • korea
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »
Why not foster some of the shelter animals in Korea.  The charities need foster homes - and its not just cats and dogs   http://koreananimals.or.kr/english/

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:19:32 pm »
I agree with both above posters.

You really need to find out if you can take a ferret/hedgehog to your home country and the costs/paperwork involved. Some countries/airlines won't allow exotics. Also, fostering is a great idea if you can't take a pet home.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:26:03 am »
Rodents don't travel by plane well. I had pet rats, but they have an average 2-4 year lifespan. I knew that they wouldn't be around by the time I was going to head home. Now, I've got a puppy, but he's going wherever I go.

Not sure if you were referring to the ferret or the hedgehog but to make sure no one is confused: ferrets are not rodents, in fact... they eat rodents.  :laugh: Traveling with them is still tough though, mostly because I think Delta might be the only airline that allows them.

They're awesome pets though, I miss mine terribly.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:39 am »
The ultimate extreme opposite for a burrowing animal is to put them up in the sky at 10,000 feet lol. 
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 07:54:31 am »
Ferrets are pretty awesome. I can understand wanting one. I don't think you shouldn't get a pet here in Korea, but if you do, make sure you're prepared to do right by the animal when it comes time to leave.

For the record, I don't think it's always in the animal's best interest to be brought home with its owner. Some animals, like my cats, get very attached to owners (and I'm attached to them :)). In those cases, the stress of re-homing would, I believe, be greater for them than the stress of travel, so I'm bringing them home with me. Some animals, though, care less about individual people than they do about having a safe, warm, friendly place to live. For those animals, it may be best to re-home them at the end of your time here, because moving an animal internationally via air travel is hugely stressful for the animal.

Basically, you should only get a pet here if a) it has a very short lifespan, and will almost assuredly die before it's time for you to go, b) you're planning on bringing the pet home with you, or c) it's an animals that doesn't really care either way about human owners, and you're willing to put a lot of time, effort, and maybe money into finding it a good new home that won't fall through a month after you've left. That means that if you're only planning on staying for a year and you want to responsibly leave the pet behind in Korea, you'll have the animal for maybe 8 months (10 max) of your time here. So you need to weigh whether what you have to offer is worth that kind of disruption in the animal's life. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't; only you know for sure.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:32 am »
These are really interesting stories!  I just moved to Korea, so I'm not ready to adopt a pet just yet, but I know from the constant barking a few doors down that my apartment allows pets.  ^^  I have decided that if I sign on for another year at my school, I will definitely consider getting either a small dog or a cat (I'm not sure if my apartment allows cats).  I would probably get a slightly older dog (out of puppy years) so he/she could stand being alone in the apartment during my work hours, but would enjoy romping and cuddling with me before and after work and on the weekends.  I am one of those people that needs animal companionship, but I do want to make absolute sure that I know my way around Korea first; where to get food, toys, etc. and know of good vet offices before I seriously delve into the world of animal parenthood. <3

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:30:43 am »
I too am considering adopting a bunny. Adopting a pet is a huge responsibility and seeing all the pets up for adoption because people didn't do proper research or give it proper thought is both depressing and infuriating. Being passed around from hand to hand is no way for an animal to live, especially animals prone towards bonding.

As such, I've been trying to do a little research and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I know some airlines allow pets in cabin and some don't, but what I'm wondering is if I have a connecting flight  will I have to pay the fee for flying with a pet twice? I've seen fees up to $150 dollars so if I had two different flights suddenly my rabbit will be running me up $300...

Also, has it been hard when arranging flights home or elsewhere to find flights in which each leg of the journey allow for pets?

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:15:36 am »
These are really interesting stories!  I just moved to Korea, so I'm not ready to adopt a pet just yet, but I know from the constant barking a few doors down that my apartment allows pets.  ^^  I have decided that if I sign on for another year at my school, I will definitely consider getting either a small dog or a cat (I'm not sure if my apartment allows cats).  I would probably get a slightly older dog (out of puppy years) so he/she could stand being alone in the apartment during my work hours, but would enjoy romping and cuddling with me before and after work and on the weekends.  I am one of those people that needs animal companionship, but I do want to make absolute sure that I know my way around Korea first; where to get food, toys, etc. and know of good vet offices before I seriously delve into the world of animal parenthood. <3

People please be aware about apartment building policies on pets.  It is usually not up to the apartment building whether pets are allowed or not.  They really only care about having people owning or living in the units. 

It is up to your specific unit's landlord whether you can have a pet or not.  There are many different owners of apartments in one apartment block.  The unit YOU reside in might have a landlord that allows pets, but your friend's apartment next door might have a completely different landlord who DOES NOT allow pets. 

Please be aware of this.  We see so many horror stories of people hearing about other tenants having pets, so they go out and get furry companion only to find out a month later, that they have the choice of getting rid of the pet or moving out because the landlord of their unit doesn't allow it.

That being said, please check with your specific landlord if they allow pets or not.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:10 am »
It so so great to see everyone's responsible views on pet ownership!

I volunteer at an animal shelter in Asan and foster dogs - both good options if you want to hang out with animals but aren't able to adopt.

If you want any more info on volunteering, fostering or adopting in Korea there is a website - animalrescuekorea.o rg - with a lot of info and some of the animals up for adoption/foster.

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »
If you want any more info on volunteering, fostering or adopting in Korea there is a website - animalrescuekorea.o rg - with a lot of info and some of the animals up for adoption/foster.
I tried to adopt a pet from there.  They are some shady folks.  My wife knows one of the founding members that left due to their weird office politics and adoption practices.

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 03:07:16 pm »
The actual founding member (Karen, the woman who made the website) left Korea years and years and years ago, now she just runs the website.

It's not an organization or anything like that, its more of a forum for people interested in animals - there is no office (or office policies? that I know of) and they don't have a shelter so you're not really adopting from them, but from a Korean shelter. The ARK people are meant to just help you out, offer advice, help with transport and whatnot. It sucks that you had a bad time with someone involved in ARK, I'm really sorry. Most if us are nice though! At least I am... If you ever want to adopt from any of the shelters ARK is involved with I'd be more than happy to help in a non-shady way :)

• arcticfox
  • Explorer

• March 05, 2012, 07:05:48 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:12 pm »
Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm still going to do a lot more of research before getting a pet, I want to be 100% sure. If I do decide to get one, I'm definitely taking it back with me once I leave, it will break my heart to leave it. :)

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:41:27 pm »
Why not foster some of the shelter animals in Korea.  The charities need foster homes - and its not just cats and dogs   http://koreananimals.or.kr/english/

I wholeheartedly support this suggestion.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »

I wholeheartedly support this suggestion.

2nd that! I have a cat from a shelter and she is the nicest thing ever. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:39 am »
We have a pretty detailed blog on how we got our pets here, a friend just went home and the information held up on returning too.  http://jeollanamdosalad.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/the-realities-of-bringing-3-pets-to-korea/
Good luck, I hope you find a pet that needs a home and you are able to care for it. 

My biggest concern in moving here was not being able to travel.  When we have wanted to travel we've always had great friends step up and pet sit for us for 10,000 won a day.  They get a short trem pet fix, the pets get friendly companionship, and we get to travel knowing they are cared for.  Also, many of the pet stores also function as pet motels.  While some are dreadful, others are exceptionally kind. 

• ovid
  • Veteran

• July 26, 2010, 11:42:52 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 08:52:25 am »
Please do a lot of research before getting a hedgehog... they are not cuddly like ferrets and don't prefer to be handled unless they were bred in captivity and even then, it's a hit or miss. 

Either way, please.. please, only get a pet if you're able to keep one, not because you feel sorry for one or want temporary companionship.  The amount of friends I've met who've left Korea, end up throwing their loved pets in shelters when it's time to go; some people just leave their animals in their apartments when they head out.

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:13 am »
I support the fostering of pets here. I would like to buy a dog myself but I know I will be leaving Korea in the next year or two. The native teachers get a bad image from buying a dog or cat and then just tossing it in a few years, usually less than two. They aren't the only ones though. Koreans, not every single Korean, have a very bad reputation with cats and dogs here. If you noticed there tends to be a great deal of stray cats and dogs roaming the streets. The Korean government actually stopped using a certain type of trash disposal unit because people were tossing pets in them. Some just let their dogs or cats go in a park or forest. I am not saying other countries don't do it, but the animal laws here are very lacking. Please, either foster or set up something for anything you buy/adopt.

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 01:25:48 pm »
If anyone has questions or concerns about caring for a rabbit in Korea or how to bring it back home with them (specifically to Canada or America) please feel free to message me. I adopted a bunny when I first came here two years ago and am currently preparing to bring it home with me in a few months.