Read 19913 times

• mikep85
  • Waygookin

• November 25, 2012, 07:07:34 pm
    • Incheon, Korea
Re: (천재교육 Cheonjae) Grade 5, Lesson 2 - "What Are You Doing?"
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 12:03:12 am »
I agree with other posters on this thread.  PLEASE DO NOT SHOW THE BUDWEISER COMMERCIAL to Korean elementary school kids!! 

A better video would be this one.  It'll make the kids laugh while answering the questions "What is he doing?" / "What is it doing?"

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4X8PIMs344

• janelle_j
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2013, 12:40:21 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:33 pm »
Here is a PPT activity that I did today. Instructions are on the slides.

I have very mixed ability levels in my classes, so it is difficult to cater to all of my student's needs.  I think this activity address all levels perfectly. It is easy enough for the lower levels to write one sentence, but still challenging for the higher level students as they can write as many as they can think of. 

...I admit, my student's had me laughing so hard. "He is washing my foots." "We are washing our eyes." "I am watching the pencil case." Some students even surprised me with how much they know with sentences like "He is watching an animation." and "He is reading a comic." So now I have a better understanding of who needs help where, and who I can challenge more.

Feel free to change words and example sentences as you need to. ( I showed the example sentence at the end of the round so they couldn't cheat.)

Also, I found a game online called "What are you doing?" I haven't played it yet, but if you want to give it a shot and tell me how it goes then that would be great. Details and instructions are in the .doc file. That file is my actual lesson plan for today and it worked great! Enjoy!

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 03:34:50 pm »
Here is a modified PPT taken from this thread. I am showing the Gogo's Adventures video in class so I added some slides that were used in the video. Also attached is a coin flip game (template from this site) and some flashcards.

• djroomba
  • Waygookin

• July 19, 2013, 01:28:48 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 01:40:24 pm »
Here is a PowerPoint containing the dialogues from Chapter 2. The format is taken from another Waygooker (thanks to him!).

• brentdws
  • Adventurer

• October 04, 2010, 01:59:48 pm
    • Changwon, Gyeongnam, Korea
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
Grade 5 Lesson 2 Period 4 - What are you doing?

Flick the Coin - Reading Game

1) Play this game with your partner.
2) Do R-S-P to decide who goes first.
3) Flick the coin. Read the sentences the coin lands on.
If it lands on positive number, read correctly and keep the points.
If it lands on a negative number, read correctly, your partner gets minus points.
4) If you read incorrectly, nothing happens and itís your partner turn.
The student with the most points at the end wins.

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2014, 10:48:33 am »
1. Practice and listening game. Have the students listen and repeat the expressions, then quiz them on what they heard with a review. Afterward, play a listening game similar to Simon Says. Have the students stand up and then flick through the powerpoint slides with the pictures. Say a sentence, and if the sentence corresponds to the picture, e.g. "I'm making kimbap" with the kimbap pic, the students should repeat. However, if you say the wrong sentence, they should not say anything. Students who slip up should sit down. It's fun to mix up the sentences, e.g. "I'm fixing the basketball game" or "I'm playing the spaghetti." Flick back and forth between slides for an extra challenge. Students have fun and it tests their listening.

2. Board game focused on practicing different expressions between "you" and "they", e.g. "What are they doing? - They are painting pictures"  vs.  "What are you doing? - I'm painting a picture." Students must ask and answer. Make it clear that if they don't speak, they will lose their next turn.  There are a few things to look out for on the board, such as move ahead 3 or go back 3, and a rock-scissors-paper with the teacher. If a student lands on the r-s-p square, he/she should call over the teacher to do a kai-bai-bo. If the student wins, he/she can have an extra turn and roll the dice again. If the teacher wins, however, the student should go back to the start. (Every time I explain this rule I receive a collective "헐!" from the students. My evil schemes at work, mwahaha!)

3. Reading game. Have students cut out the sentence cards in the back of their book and have them read them aloud, then play a game. Have students play in groups. They should mix up the cards on their desks, then put their hands on their heads. Teacher should read a couple of sentences as shown on the powerpoint, e.g. "They are painting pictures" and "I am making pizza." Then say 'ready, go!' and the students should find the two sentences and order them. After all students in a group get the order right, put their hands on their heads. The groups to finish can get points, if they read the sentences together correctly.  I gave 4 points to the 1st place, 3 points to the 2nd, 2 points to the 3rd and 1 point to the rest. Have them read the sentences together, then award the points and move on to the next. The number of sentences builds every time.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:59:57 am by AlivePoet »

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2014, 10:57:34 am »
Forgot to include the board game jpeg file. It's in the ppt, but for quick, convenient printing, I'll add it here. (I'd just add it into the previous post but I can't seem to edit for attachments--if a mod can simply transfer this file to the post, that would be ace.) Cheers.

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2014, 12:49:47 pm »
This is a very simple running dictation game I made for the third period of lesson two.

• Tamryn5
  • Adventurer

• April 02, 2013, 09:11:12 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:19 pm »
Blazing pens combined with a mission impossible game with countdown timer! Thanks for the templates. Great for review at the end of the lesson as an individual game. I allocate points according to difficulty/my mood ;) Or depending on how excited I want to get the class.

• cookiem
  • Waygookin

• June 04, 2012, 09:03:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:19 pm »
Race the bomb writing game:

I used this for the 6th class of Chapter 2, but you could easily use it for the writing class. The kids really enjoyed it. I made it using a "pass the bomb" game. The only problem is that the heartbeat/beeping sound files are too short and finish before the bomb explodes (because I extended the time), but it didn't seem to bother the kids.

Instructions are in the PowerPoint, but briefly, they work in groups of four with a small whiteboard (though you could use pieces of paper instead), and take turns writing sentences using a given word. In this case, it was a verb, and they had to write a sentence using present progressive. I also wouldn't let them repeat the subject and object in each round. You could easily amend it for other chapters.

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »
Any questions, please quote me.
Is this where the signature goes?