Read 1359 times

• livingkorean
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 05:44:33 pm
    • Gayaeup, Haman County, Gyeongnam, South Korea
Transferring from a foreign bank to a Korean one
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:35 pm »
So I've seen all the posts about transferring money to a foreign bank, but I need the opposite, to transfer money from a foreign bank to a Korean one. Does anyone have experience with that? I need to take out money from my American bank to 1) live on and 2) put into my Korean bank account. My bank account is through NH, but I've heard they are not as foreigner friendly. Should I just go the ATM withdrawal route and be done with it?

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
Re: Transferring from a foreign bank to a Korean one
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:36:40 am »
So I've seen all the posts about transferring money to a foreign bank, but I need the opposite, to transfer money from a foreign bank to a Korean one. Does anyone have experience with that? I need to take out money from my American bank to 1) live on and 2) put into my Korean bank account. My bank account is through NH, but I've heard they are not as foreigner friendly. Should I just go the ATM withdrawal route and be done with it?

If you have your American card on you, just withdraw the cash using a global ATM. You'll get KRW directly and the withdrawal fee (probably $5 at most) will likely be A LOT less than wiring the money from your home account to your Korean account.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• livingkorean
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 05:44:33 pm
    • Gayaeup, Haman County, Gyeongnam, South Korea
Re: Transferring from a foreign bank to a Korean one
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:23:02 am »

If you have your American card on you, just withdraw the cash using a global ATM. You'll get KRW directly and the withdrawal fee (probably $5 at most) will likely be A LOT less than wiring the money from your home account to your Korean account.

That's what I'm going to do. I just wanted to check all of my options first.