Read 1292 times

• bb
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2010, 08:19:17 am
    • korea
Post marraige visa status change
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:46:06 pm »
Three questions for a Korea lifer out there:

Once my new father-in-law puts down his shotgun and the marraige is official (having filed 결혼신고서...Korean marraige report), what steps do I need to take to change my visa status to reflect this?

And, once I have a family visa, can I work freely in Korea as would a citizen? Or do I still need to do certain E-2 visa-ish steps to get a job?

Last question: Looking at the U.S.  State Dept. site_ my spouse can get a green card via our marraige but still must endure quite a process before being naturalized. Is there anything one's spouse can do to aid the naturalization process while still living abroad? Or is that something that can only be addressed in-country?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Post marraige visa status change
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »
The first step is to call the Korean Immigration Office at 1345. Donít worry, the agent you will speak will be able to communicate with you in English. Please ask him or her to talk about how change your visa and request that they send you a list of required documents.

When I did this I had to submit an application, proof of employement, proof that my work place existed, marriage certificate in Korean and one in English (with US embassy seal attached), and proof that we are living together. You will need to get the marriage certification translated into English from an embassy approved place before they will attach a seal to it. Just check out the "getting married" section on the website to find out how to do this.

Check out the embassy website for more information about moving to America and what that will take. You can also call them and get some information over the phone.

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
Contact your embassy as well.  When I switched to an F2 there was all kinds of confusion.  Last I heard Korea was not accepting the documents from the embassies because embassies don't actually recognize marriages.  Everyone had to go back and report the marriage in their home country before applying for the visa.  They were trying to find a solution and may have by now.  As far as work, you don't need the E2.  You'll probably have the F6 like me.  Immigration doesn't care at all what you do for work and the schools usually prefer F holders.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:57:16 pm »
And, once I have a family visa, can I work freely in Korea as would a citizen?

For the most part yes, but there are some exceptions. There are some jobs that are only open to Korean citizens... some government jobs, military, etc... Likely nothing you would be interested in doing.

Or do I still need to do certain E-2 visa-ish steps to get a job?

Here is another big exception. If you are going to work as a teacher you need to submit an apostilled degree, apostilled criminal background check, and a medical/drug test to the local office of education. This is a brand new rule that just went into effect this year (2012). If you don't submit these documents your hagwon/school can be fined. Once again you only need to do this for teaching jobs. For any other type of job it is not necessary.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:58:51 pm by steveperry »