Read 3942 times

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
OMG- shakes head.
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:31 pm »
Hey,
Kind of a rant but I need to say this.  So I moved to a new place about a month ago.  Seems like a nice but older community of people who have way too much time on their hands. 

So I got a phone call about my dog and his poop.  My ex KT kindly told me that some people were upset that I didn't pick my dog's poo.  Fair enough but wait a minute:  Why don't those same people complain about the litter and trash all over the empty lot in front of my place?  Or the beer cans/soju bottles left out? 

2nd point:  I understand people are curious about me but why do you need to stare for 3 minutes?  You know what I look like and I'm not going to steal your stuff!  I'm not talking about kids but 45-90 year old people giving me the he has to be a "Murder" look.

3rd:  My dog is on a bright orange leash!  You don't need to freak out and make a huge scene when I'm walking him and we pass on the street.  Also, please don't make barking sounds then wonder why he tries to come and sniff you!  Also, my dog is on a leash but your dog isn't!  Who are you to yell at me for following your laws!

I'm trying to be nice to my neighbors but they are about to get a Homie don't play that very soon. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• L Waygook
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2010, 07:54:02 am
    • South Korea
Re: OMG- shakes head.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:27 pm »
So I am in the same situation. The streets are dirty and people litter everywhere and my dogs and I have to dodge trash and glass on a daily basis. I do however pick up their poop every time though. I have been yelled at so many times and take the blame for those that don't pick up the poop. A trick that make picking up the poop much easier is to buy the food service disposable gloves. They are cheap and easy. Just pick it up and then turn the glove inside out. Nothing transfers to your hands, not ever the smell and then just put it in one of the many trash bags on the street.
I think that stepping in dog poop is much worse than stepping in other stuff.

• darkshark08
  • Waygookin

• February 22, 2012, 02:05:56 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:36:30 am »
picking up your dog's poop is just plain common courtesy.  in the US you can get a hefty fine for not doing so.

people stare at you and your dog because you're and your dog are different and unusual.  it's what would happen to you anywhere in the world where you are a minority, it's what minorities in the US in the Southern and Northern states deal with everyday.  people might also be staring at you because you're so rude that you don't pick up your dog's poop.

• TheWB18
  • Expert Waygook

• October 27, 2011, 07:51:30 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:18 pm »
people stare at you and your dog because you're and your dog are different and unusual.  it's what would happen to you anywhere in the world where you are a minority, it's what minorities in the US in the Southern and Northern states deal with everyday.  people might also be staring at you because you're so rude that you don't pick up your dog's poop.

Bit of a generalization, saying "in the southern and northern states".  Be real, in NY or Boston or Atlanta or the Chi you'd have to really break some norms to be stared at; being a minority, except in the sense of being a minority of one dancing naked down the street throwing waffles at people, won't get you stared at.

I think this is a bit more specific to Korea because the bar for "different" and thus stareable is pretty low.  But then, I see Koreans stare at each other with the same look pretty often, so I don't think it's anything to get too offended about.  It's just part of living in a generally homogenous, norm-heavy place.

• cowboy7
  • Super Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 01:47:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:39 pm »
First off, that sucks dude.  I feel you, sometimes you just gotta rant. 

Trash and dog poop, both not great to see on the sidewalk.  Why do you get put on blast when others are arguably equally at fault?  Well, it could be that everyone is ganging up on the foreign dude.  I think a more likely explanation is that trash is just more commonplace on the ground than dog poop (I see both).  When in Rome...

About the staring, like some others are saying, I think you just gotta deal.  I get it too, sometimes I don't care, sometimes I'll do the stare down.  Whatever is clever.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:13:07 pm »
picking up your dog's poop is just plain common courtesy.  in the US you can get a hefty fine for not doing so.

I'm guessing you haven't been in Korea very long since I have NEVER seen a Korean person pick up dog poo and I've been here 5 years.  I've seen old men pee on playground equipment, people getting drunk at 9 am on Monday near a school, and other various things.
One thing I have never seen is anybody pick up their dogs poo at a park in Jeju!  Many of the light poles near my house have tons of turds from small dogs around my house.  My dog goes in a park about 10 meters away from the park.

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 02:17:57 pm »
I have been yelled at several times to pick up my dog's poop (despite already doing so!) and have been blamed for other dogs. Also, they act like my 3kg dog is going to eat them (after swerving to make sure they're in the dog's path). Yup, sounds about right ^^ We'll not go into the guy that followed me around Daiso yesterday inspecting everything i put in my basket.

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »

I'm guessing you haven't been in Korea very long since I have NEVER seen a Korean person pick up dog poo and I've been here 5 years.  I've seen old men pee on playground equipment, people getting drunk at 9 am on Monday near a school, and other various things.
One thing I have never seen is anybody pick up their dogs poo at a park in Jeju!  Many of the light poles near my house have tons of turds from small dogs around my house.  My dog goes in a park about 10 meters away from the park.

I cannot even imagine this situation happening here.  Your experience is going to make me reconsider things a bit on my walk home today.  I have also seen people and animals relieve themselves in public all over Korea, with no thought as to what happens to the waste when the person/animal walks away.  I won't rehash the feelings about the scattered trash.  I definitely can relate to noting that hypocrisy.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
i don't have a dog in korea, but i would feel weird if i didn't pick up my dog's poo back in canada. i can't believe people don't pick up after their pets here!  :(
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:27:57 pm »
i don't have a dog in korea, but i would feel weird if i didn't pick up my dog's poo back in canada. i can't believe people don't pick up after their pets here!  :(

Honestly, I don't care if it's not on the walk way or on a path.  Srsly, it's just poo.  I'm more upset seeing cans/bottles/bags or other things dropped since they won't decomposes.  Atleast poo is good for nature but plastic isn't.

Again, my dog poos in a grass park while others throw trash on peoples steps. 

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:23:59 pm »
We'll not go into the guy that followed me around Daiso yesterday inspecting everything i put in my basket.

I have friends that do that! its a lot more odd though when a stranger does it.
I think its the equivalent of .... say I'm in the US and I meet a friend at the market and s/he says hey, what are you doing? and the conversation drifts into why are you here? what are you getting? I mean, that seems so normal from your friend, doesn't it? and I might go, yeah look at these shoes I found on sale for x amount.... the problem is though, the we don't speak the same language so instead of saying what are you shopping for? they peek and see for themselves. also (like the stranger) I think people just want to know what a waygook will buy. many people will ask me if I cook korean? I hardly know how to cook american, much less Korean. Who is gonna teach me that!

This post is making me really glad I live out in the country!
and OP, I'm glad that is the most you have to complain about! it could be worse. :)

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 03:02:36 pm »
After 5 years I pretty much try and not care about what others are doing.  Just hate the hypocrisy from some people.

• OzzyOs
  • Waygookin

• November 28, 2011, 12:12:11 pm
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 03:13:35 am »

Fair enough but wait a minute:  Why don't those same people complain about the litter and trash all over the empty lot in front of my place?  Or the beer cans/soju bottles left out? 

Just hate the hypocrisy from some people.

How do you know if the people that are complaining about you not picking up your dog's poop aren't also complaining about the litter and trash to their family, friends, or neighbors?  Just how do you know this?  Or are you saying that any Korean is responsible for what other Koreans do or say?

My guess is that the same people (for the most part) who are complaining about the dog poop are the same people who complain about the litter and trash and just as frustrated about it as you.  Conversely, the same people who litter in the streets probably don't complain about the poop either.  But maybe to you all Koreans are monolithic and are given one identity and therefore guilty by association.

Similarly, some Koreans think all Waygookins are guilty (of whatever offense) by association also.  Just don't fall into that kind of thinking.  It's so narrow-minded.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:31:32 am by OzzyOs »

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 07:36:09 am »
We'll not go into the guy that followed me around Daiso yesterday inspecting everything i put in my basket.

I think its the equivalent of .... say I'm in the US and I meet a friend at the market and s/he says hey, what are you doing? and the conversation drifts into why are you here? what are you getting? I mean, that seems so normal from your friend, doesn't it? and I might go, yeah look at these shoes I found on sale for x amount.... the problem is though, the we don't speak the same language so instead of saying what are you shopping for? they peek and see for themselves. also (like the stranger) I think people just want to know what a waygook will buy. many people will ask me if I cook korean? I hardly know how to cook american, much less Korean. Who is gonna teach me that!

I've had people "peek" in my basket before, discreetly and non-discreetly. I've never had a guy follow me around for 15 minutes while I was trying to find everything on my list before O.o

Re: dog poop. Just because others don't pick it up, please pick yours up. Aside from the fact that its gross to step in, when it runs into the water supply it can become a health issue. Plus it's good practice for when you move to a place where it's required.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Interweb
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 10:37:26 am »

I've had people "peek" in my basket before, discreetly and non-discreetly. I've never had a guy follow me around for 15 minutes while I was trying to find everything on my list before O.o

Re: dog poop. Just because others don't pick it up, please pick yours up. Aside from the fact that its gross to step in, when it runs into the water supply it can become a health issue. Plus it's good practice for when you move to a place where it's required.

I laughed at contamenating the water supply.  lol I don't see many people drinking directly out of streams in Korea.  Taking what you said then I guess all Farms should stop using manure and human poo to feed the Famous Black pigs here on Jeju. 

Again, I don't let my Dog poo in high traffic areas.  We walk at least 10 meters into a wooded area and his does his thing.