Read 3454 times

• ytuque
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2011, 06:55:14 pm
    • Korea
Would you recommend any Korean unis for international students?
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:08:05 pm »
The question is whether you would recommend any Korean unis for international students for either Korean or English language instruction?

I have talked to some students from some highly ranked Korean universities: KAIST, Ajou, KU, SNU, and PNU, and the students had very negative comments.  Typical complaints are about Korean and Chinese students sleeping in class, widespread cheating, Korean professors speaking Korean to the Korean students during an English language lecture, favoritism for Korean students, and courses listed as being in English are switched by the Korean professors to Korean.  Even KAIST which declares itself to be all English language instruction has always had many courses taught in Korean.

Is there a university for international students in Korea which isn't a farce?  I think not, but I am hoping there's at least one.  I've worked at 2 unis here in Korea with international students, and they were both laughable.

• smippy
  • Adventurer

• October 15, 2011, 08:07:15 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Would you recommend any Korean unis for international students?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 07:58:31 am »
Have you looked into Yonsei? My university has an exchange program with them where international students can take certain major specific classes in English. You can probably do that if your university has a study abroad agreement with Yonsei. I think they also offer Korean language classes specifically for international students, too. My friend is a student there (he's Korean, in case you were wondering) and some of his classes use English textbooks, although the class is taught in Korean.

Hope this helps. ^^;
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:18:18 am by smippy »

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:12:31 am »
Korea university sejong campus' IT'S program is great for exchange students. There are over 100 classes a semester offered in English and the program itself is free of cost, you just have to pay tuition at your home university. The ITS program covers dormitory, 2 meals a day and airfare up to 1,200 dollars. Also students are given a 800,000 won stipend each month for spending. You have to be a sophomore, junior or senior with a 3.0 to apply and , of  course, your university has to have a study abroad agreement with KU. Students participating in the program are required to participate in mentoring and clubs. Really a great deal for students who don't have the funding to study abroad and are interested in Korea.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:02 am »
My friend is a linguistics student at Seoul University, he recently  told me how badly he was treated by one of the professors. He told me he would ever recommend studying here because they are still racist towards western students studying for a full degree at the university.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
Yonsei's School of International Studies does have a decent rep in that field especially in terms of their Asian Studies program. I've known several people who have graduated from there and have gone on to do some good PhD work at US universities.

• chelino
  • Waygookin

• October 06, 2010, 10:31:45 am
    • incheon
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:15 am »
My experience at Sogang University was pretty good except for the student affairs people (who almost never know how to speak English).  I'm not too sure about the undergrad program but there are about 140 (according to the campus magazine last year) foreign students (about half are from France for some reason).  Sogang is known for making students work hard (which is why it's often called Sogang high school).  Unfortunately I will admit that it has some faults.  I had a friend last year who was in his last semester of undergrad and his profs let him skip almost half the semester because he got a job at a company.  He came back for the tests and somehow passed and graduated.  That kinda stuff normally wouldn't happen back home.  But each prof here is different and I know the Spanish teacher is super-strict about attendance.  On the plus side, the Korean language program is respected here and we have one of the best English lit programs in Korea (or so I've been told). 

Also, if your friend is looking at grad school then you should know that all international students (provided they maintain a 3.5+ GPA) receive an 80% scholarship.  I don't know about the undergrad scholarships though.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:48:03 am by chelino »

• gayageum
  • Adventurer

• July 28, 2011, 04:14:15 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:59:14 am »
I would in a couple of situations. One, the student is seeking to study abroad for a semester or year before returning home to complete a program and has an interest in Asia and/or Korea. Two, the student has a specific goal which would be clearly furthered by studying in Korea.

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:19:13 am »
I did a summer program in Seoul at the University of Seoul, and I liked it. For one the classes were all in English. The Korean teacher I had actually had worked on a book for learning Korean and she was really nice and helpful. The school is kinda laid back and relaxed but they tended to focus on having you make friends, travel and experience some of Korea. Classes were enjoyable for me, though.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 09:37:15 am »
If you want to study a Korea-related topic (Korean history, Korean language, etc) or have a specific interest in Korea then go for it. If not then there is better value for money to be had at universities elsewhere in the world.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 10:06:17 am »
well if your going to work in Asia, a degree in SNU, Yonsei, Korea Univ, Seogang, SKK, and two univ especially- kaist and postech, will be helpful.
But outside Asia, i have doubts on a korean univ degree.

however exchange programs to the States, are in my opinon, very nice.

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:38:50 am »
I have friends at Korea University studying undergrad and masters programs and in general they are quite happy with the university.

Yonsei is the other one that is quite well received too for their undergrad programs.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:23 am »
I recently was introduced to Mannam, which is a volunteer group in Daejeon run mostly by international students from Kaist University.

From what they told me, all the classes are in English so I think it'd be a serious consideration for Int'l students.

• KimKim
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2010, 08:27:38 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:26:36 pm »
I am currently teaching English in Korea but am considering staying around and trying to get my MBA here at one of the Universities preferably in Seoul! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, but think Korea University or Yonsei University are probably the best options for me. Anyone have any exprience with graduate programs at either one of these schools?

• ytuque
  • Veteran

• November 21, 2011, 06:55:14 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 08:26:57 pm »
I have a former student who is attending Yonsei's Global MBA program.  This program is taught completely in English, and most of the professors received their PhDs at highly ranked US business schools.  Unfortunately, nearly all the professors are from Korea, so ironically you do not get a global perspective. The program is also quite inexpensive since foreign students can receive large tuition breaks.  The student I mentioned receives a 75% discount on tuition, and so her MBA will cost her less than $10k US out of pocket.

It's internationally ranked, but my student doesn't recommend the program.  Her impression is that the professors have little real business experience, and many are biased against foreign students.  For example, she had a professor state during a lecture that Europeans are lazy. 

I spoke with an Uzbek student in Korea University's MBA program.  He said it was quite common during a lecture for him to be surrounded by sleeping Korean students.  He didn't seem to mind since the most important thing for him was not having to return to Uzbekistan.