Read 1561 times

Rooftops in Korea
« on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:24 am »
I'm having one of those "did you notice" moments right now sorry.
Did you notice that so many houses in Korea have flat rooftops?  Usually you can go up on them for watever reason (smoke? sun tan? golf driving net? maybe dry foods out on the roof?).

It's very uncommon to see that in Canada/US unless you are a business.   Anyone know why flat rooftops are so common here?  Do Koreans just like the idea of climbing onto rooftops or is it a brilliant use of space?  Our typical north american rooftops are angled or look like triangles...so you can't go up there and do anything productive....it might be good for draining rainfall...whereas the flat rooftops might just flood.

But I do see the many advantages of flat rooftops...efficien t use of space, drying foods, laundry, golf cage, mabye summertime patio for bbq or parties?  Or you can plant a garden or have "green rooftops". 

What do you guys think?  Why no flat rooftops in N. America?  N. American homes use that angular space for an attic whereas u can't have an attic with a flat rooftop but u can install a shed up there so same thing i guess.

In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• Jeff619
  • Expert Waygook

• May 26, 2011, 08:12:52 am
Re: Rooftops in Korea
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
The rooftops in the US are probably better for weather.  I think it also depends where you live.  I'm from Southern California and you can see many Spanish style homes with the flat top roof, but the angled ones are more common.

Anyway, I told my wife I'd love to have one of those homes with the flat roof so I can do my sunbathing and bbq parties during the summer.  I guess there are drawbacks as well such as having to take care of all your maintenance on your own.  That's definitely one of the nice things about living in an apartment.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »
Most of Korea gets very little snow in winter, and since most buildings are made of concrete and rebar they can probably support more weight. In parts of NA flat roofs would be likely to collapse after a series of heavy snowfalls that didn't melt. Also, with such a dense population, they need whatever space they can get.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »
the reasons must be similar as to why they dont have balconies in most apts.....lack of space?
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:13:13 pm »
The most popular shape in Korea when they started to build up the infrastructure, was a square. 

Later, liberals stretched the perception toward rectangle. 

Triangles have always been considered communist here.

• BrittanyB
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2012, 06:53:31 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:49:09 pm »
Yes!...and most of them are green...I like the idea...already planning a little get together on the roof of my apartment!

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »
I am just speaking out my a$$ on this one but two things pop out in my head. First of all the way in which they are built means that probably easier to finish with a flat roof than it is to put on a peaked roof. Also the roof serves as a replacement for main of the things that you would find in a yard like (for Koreans) drying peppers, kimchi pots and whatnot. If you look on many roofs you with see that a lot are used for these things.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:51:10 pm by Janitor »

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:45:54 pm »
Usually rooftops are used for plant and equipment in apartment blocks/offices. Heating and cooling systems pretty much. It means that there's maximum room internally for living.