Read 2672 times

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
Bills from previous tenant
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »
I was not even in my apartment for all of 24 hours when a electricity bill was left at my door.  I asked my co-teacher about it and she spoke with the landlord but nothing really happened.  I don't mind paying it (it's only 11,000) but I don't know how to go about doing that as I don't have a bank account yet.  I cannot reach my co-teacher to ask her either.  I know that I can handle it at the bank, but is it possible to pay a bill in cash here or do I have to have an account with the bank to pay a bill there?

Thanks!
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

• Uhfotis
  • Veteran

• December 29, 2009, 12:19:38 pm
    • Wonju,
Re: Bills from previous tenant
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:26:00 pm »
Yes you can pay in cash. Just bring the bill to a teller and they'll do it for you. I did it every month and they never ask to see my bank card or alien card or anything else. All that said you shouldn't feel responsible to pay the bill.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:02 pm »
Do NOT pay it.  Just tell them, 'no.'
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:14:03 pm »
Don't pay it. I was in a similar situation last year.

• twisleder
  • Explorer

• February 29, 2012, 08:27:39 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:57 pm »
I found myself in the same situation.  My co-teacher took a quick look at the bill, said it was from the previous tenant, and threw it away.

• Leez
  • Adventurer

• May 11, 2011, 11:08:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »
I got an electricity bill and a gas bill shortly after I arrived. I took both to school. They paid for the entire electricity bill and I paid maybe a sixth of the gas bill as apparently it covered part of the time I had lived there.

It's not your bill so don't pay.

(On an aside about paying electricity bills: if you take your bill with you to the bank when your Korean co-teacher helps you set up a bank account you can get it automatically debited off your account each month._

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:46:33 pm »
Don't pay it. I've gotten many bills from the previous lady. She ran up a huge amount of debt and ran off, Korean woman. I gave them to my co-teacher and she took care of it.

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:01:56 am »
The problem is my co-teacher isn't doing anything about it.  I just keep getting a run around between her and the landlord.  I don't want to go over my co-teacher's head and go right to the administration though because we're only a couple of days into the school year and I don't want to tick her off...

Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:37 am »
Why pay it? It is not your responsibility. 11,000 won is 11,000 won. It is still money that you would be giving away. Just imagine taking 11,000 won out of your pocket and flushing it down the toilet because that is what you'd be doing. Take the bill to the school and let them figure it out.