Read 1577 times

Forced out, our responsibility to pay, or theirs?
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »
Here's my situation,
I have a family. (wife and daughter)
I was given the choice of free housing, or get a housing allowance when I was hired over a month ago. I chose free housing because uni salaries are typically low, but everything is free aside from doing laundry, and food. (electric, heating, cooling, internet, cable TV, water, waste, pretty much anything we pay bills for is free)The housing is a double occupancy dormitory, and we are fine with it. It's big, and open, so there is plenty of space for the 3 of us. It's actually, the largest place we have lived in, and are happy with it.

The dorm is apparently owned and operated by a private company, but is obviously located on campus. This past Monday, I moved our stuff into the dorm, and everything was cool. I just need to move our furniture in, and clean a little bit before my wife and daughter come back to Korea, March 10Th. They're visiting family in the Philippines.

Anyway, on Wednesday afternoon, I get a call stating that the university and the company had this huge meeting/argument Wednesday morning about my family living in the dorm. The uni claims they told the company I had a family, and have known for a month that I have a family. The uni also claims the company said it was OK, but now, it's not OK anymore. As a compromise, the company conceded to let my wife live with me, but I have to pay 100,000 a month, for them to overlook some apparent rule against families living in the dorm.

This rule is physically not present on the uni dorm website rules page, but whatever. So, they say I have to pay for my wife to live with me. I think it's stupid, but whatever. I'm then told my wife can live with me, but our daughter, who is 10months old, cannot live in the dorm, because of "the rule"

Obviously, our daughter will live with us, so alternative housing must be found. It has been found, but my question to my waygook.org friends is:

Since my family is being forced to move off campus, into an apartment, and not by choice, do you think we should have to pay for our bills, except for water(laundry), and food? We elected for free housing that includes everything except laundry, and food, but are being forced to move into housing that is not free. In my opinion, I think it's fair to request the uni, or company, whoever is at fault, to foot the bill, not my family. They've known I'm married, and have a child, since I was hired a month ago.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

Re: Forced out, our responsibility to pay, or theirs?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:18 am »
Yes, you should be responsible for bills that are accrued in housing that is not on campus, regardless of the circumstances that caused you to not live on-campus.
Until next time, I will speak to you next time.

• jrwhite82
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 04:29:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:23 am »
So their solution was to let your wife live there for 100,000 but your 10 month old daughter would have to live on the streets?!  What clown thought that was an appropriate thing to ask you to consider?!

You won't get a red hot ship won from former building manager.  I can almost guarantee that.  You could try asking your uni for a raise or some other kind of deal for your utilities.  Part of the condition of you agreeing to work there was knowing your bills were mostly paid for by the school.  Now you have to fork out 200-300 a month for water, heat, electricity, gas, internet, you might even get hit with maintenance fees at the new place, etc...

In my opinion, I don't think the Uni should be responsible, because it wasn't there fault either.  But they did promise you housing with those benefits.  So it's a tough call.  Plus, you don't want to sour your relationship with them right off the bat, but you also don't want to take a 300 a month hit to your income either....Yikes.  Tough call. 

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:26:07 am »
So their solution was to let your wife live there for 100,000 but your 10 month old daughter would have to live on the streets?!  What clown thought that was an appropriate thing to ask you to consider?!

I'm sure they thought if they excluded the daughter, the mother would go too and stay with the daughter. theoretically, this would solve the whole problem. 
also, I have many friends/acquaintances/coworkers who are married but don't live together with their spouse, so I get the impression that for them its not an unusual situation.   

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:13:58 am »

I'm sure they thought if they excluded the daughter, the mother would go too and stay with the daughter. theoretically, this would solve the whole problem. 
also, I have many friends/acquaintances/coworkers who are married but don't live together with their spouse, so I get the impression that for them its not an unusual situation.   

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you would consider an unusual situation to be, but I think wanting to live with your family is not unusual. But to clarify, my wife and daughter stay with me on dependent visas. If they don't live with me, where are they going to live? My wife is not legally allowed to work.

To jrwhite, haha. no doubt. I had to really contain myself on the phone. I'm positive that the person that made the suggestion, is not married, nor does he or she have a child. Common sense should set in anyway, but of course, where are we?
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• Merryone
  • Super Waygook

• June 19, 2010, 11:04:50 am
    • Namhae
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure what you would consider an unusual situation to be, but I think wanting to live with your family is not unusual. But to clarify, my wife and daughter stay with me on dependent visas. If they don't live with me, where are they going to live? My wife is not legally allowed to work.

I'm sorry that my post was unclear. I am not in any way, shape, or form suggesting that you should ever consider living apart. I'm merely saying that ...when they said the daughter cannot live with you, in my opinion, what they meant was: your family can't live with you. However, by conceding to your wife being in the house, well, compromise is always supposed to be a good thing, right? It gives them the appearance of having worked with you, met you halfway, never once for a second believing that your daughter would be left alone by her mother. And I'm sorry to say this, but the idea of how your family will survive is not something they have to consider. They hired you, not your family. There is nothing in the contract that stipulates that they must make a concern regarding your family too. I'm not saying its right, I'm just saying, in my opinion, I think this is where they are coming from. in my opinion, by appearing to concede, they were trying to make themselves look good while still prohibiting your family from living there.

I also thought I would share (in my first post) their perspective on marriage in the fact that they don't always live together. you are now living in a society who does not feel that this is an important part of marriage. We see marriage as an intimate union with two people in partnership working together to achieve a harmonious  union. We must live together to achieve this. The idea of living apart is incomprehensible to us. However, in this society living apart is often an accepted normal especially given the circumstances that are present in the family. one person has a great job in one town, another person has a great job in another town. whatever, it becomes expedient to live apart for a season and maybe come together on the weekends and/or holidays. I realize this makes things difficult for you. I just thought I would share my perspective on on where they might be coming from. I'm not sticking up for or defending anyone or saying they are right. I'm only trying to explain in the hope of helping create a better understanding.

however, (before the mods say it) I believe my contribution to the thread might be slightly off topic. the question is what anyone do in this situation? pay the extra bills or ask them to pay it. I suggest that your benefits have decreased and that you return to your contract and discover exactly what you have been promised and ask them to create a solution. If their solution is to change their contract so that it suits them a little better, this might  put you in a negotiating seat. You might politely tell them that since they are renegotiating the contract and it seems that your benefits are decreasing, perhaps you can renegotiate the pay too? Good luck. I hope all goes well.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »
Pay the money to make this problem go away. 

Your school hired you, not your family.  If you want to have your family here (which may include noise from children disturbing your neighbors) which is what problem raised complaints and this new 'problem', then you needed to have considered that.

Consider it part of the cost to have them here.  But this is on you, your school should not carry any expense for it.

MC

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:22:29 pm »
Thanks for the great responses. It didn't take me too long to figure the whole thing out. To figure out what the ACTUAL situation is. I've been in Korea for 5 years, and I can't believe I didn't see it before!

I'll gladly explain in a pm, as I prefer not to air someone's dirty laundry in public. I'll say this.... someone is trying to cover up their mistake, and there are some shady things going on behind the scenes.