Read 12253 times

• jgmenator
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2011, 01:49:56 pm
    • South Korea
Vacation got nerfed?
« on: March 02, 2012, 02:24:54 pm »
Hey everyone!

So, I don't know yet if this has happened in my particular school, but I've heard others schools have gotten cuts in the vacation time.

Something like only 22 days of vacation, total (throughout the year), to make up for no Saturdays?

Anyone hear about or have anything similar happen?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 03:05:27 pm by jgmenator »

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2010, 11:47:41 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
Re: Vacation got nerfed?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »
bump

Sorry, no information to give. 

I heard about the changes to my school calendar only in passing, without reference to how vacation time would change.  I have been wondering the same thing since.  If only the provincial offices of education would deal with this issue together, but I am afraid it will be up to each individual school (principal) to determine how the foreign teachers will "use their vacation time without conflicting with the school schedule."

• curds
  • Veteran

• May 25, 2011, 01:48:57 pm
    • south africa
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »
Hey,

Since my contract only gets renewed in August, my vacation is still the same, but a lot of EPIK teachers vacation might be cut due to the no Saturday thing, but as far I've been told RLP will still have its usual 32 days(plus whatever extra the school gives you) with some monetary increases.

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 03:32:12 pm »
You get 22?  I only get 18, unless you're including red days.

Anyway it's up to your contract.  I re-signed a couple months ago and the vacation was exactly the same.  I'm not going to allow them to change it, though I doubt my school would anyway.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:11:28 pm »
Vacation is still 20 days with GEPIK.

• Songwon
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2011, 03:16:36 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 03:15:37 pm »
Our school added extra classes on to the ends of all the other days, so I don't really see why they would also take days away from vacation.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:44 pm »
Vacation is still 20 days with GEPIK.

You get 22?  I only get 18, unless you're including red days.

Anyway it's up to your contract.  I re-signed a couple months ago and the vacation was exactly the same.  I'm not going to allow them to change it, though I doubt my school would anyway.

I think the OP means school vacation days, not our actual days off.  (meaning - the kids will only have 22 vacation days)   

Wondering how it will affect the camps.............. ................... .

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »
I'm on the Joallanam-d0  contract, not EPIK.  We got rid of Saturday classes at my school.  I picked up an extra vacation day this year.  We now have 8 in the summer, 24 in the winter + national holidays. 

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:56 am »
Looking at my school calendar, there is a 1 month break for summer and a 1 month break for winter.

If you're like me (3 week camps), you will get 5 days vacation for the summer and 5 days for the winter.  Therefore, I will make up my missed vacation days during spring break as well as midterm/finals days when there's no reason for me to be at school.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 11:43:16 am »
I just found out through the grape vine that spring break is also being taken away next year.

If you have 3-week camps, you will get 10 days total of vacation throughout the year.

That's not enough for you to use all of your days.

If you have 2-week camps, you will get 20 days

Either way, if you renewed your contract, that's not enough to fill up for vacation days.

I can't believe no one is upset over this...

EDIT: Perhaps the spring break elimination was just a rumour.  It says that Feb.2-28 is a break on the calendar so it should be okay.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:51:14 am by Qu'est-cequec'est »

• curds
  • Veteran

• south africa
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:12 am »
Well Qu'est-cequec'est, I suppose no one is upset about it because their holidays are fine? I know for me I have ample time for vacation we have a month break before winter camp and a lil more than a month break after winter camp which I can take a holiday.

I however do feel for any of you who will get the "cut", it sucks having vacation days but no time to take it in.

• p33k
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2010, 01:57:59 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »
I recently got the new schedule and see that with 3 week camps it will be impossible for me to use all of my vacation.  With re-signing in Epik we get 28 days total vacation for the year.  I am working in Busan and emailed BMCOE.  They replied that I will have to use my vacation during school time, there is no other way.  I gave the email to my co-teacher who said the VP will not be happy but guess what... I have vacation and I will be taking it!  If they want to $$$ compensate me for not taking vacation I might consider it...

I am kind of scared to see what our next contracts are going to look like, vacation cuts?

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »
Well Qu'est-cequec'est, I suppose no one is upset about it because their holidays are fine? I know for me I have ample time for vacation we have a month break before winter camp and a lil more than a month break after winter camp which I can take a holiday.

I however do feel for any of you who will get the "cut", it sucks having vacation days but no time to take it in.

I think this primarily concerns those who are planning to sign new contracts at their schools.  In most public school contracts (mine is EPIK but it was similiar when I was with GEPIK) it states that those who stay with their schools and sign new contracts are to be given two extra weeks of vacation time, on top of the regular vacation time given in the contract and the national holidays.

The situation that Qu'est-cequec'est is similar to mine - I have two weeks of camps each vacation period as well as an additional week of camps that my city adds to the school camps each vacation period.  Using my regular vacation days was fine last year - the vacations were still long enough to allow me to use my vacation time.  However, if I sign a new contract with my school this year, planning to take my additional two weeks of vacation along with the regular summer break vacation days given in my contract, I do not see how my school will be able to accommodate me given the shortened vacation periods.

I am giving my new coteacher some time to settle in before trying to figure this out.  I would suggest that all teachers who are planning to stay another year with their schools bring this issue up with their coteachers and post the outcomes here.

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »
I'm curious as to how this will work with my vacation time.  As it stands, I have 4 weeks vacation + 2 weeks re-sign bonus vacation.  Since this is my last year here, I want to take full advantage of my vacation.  However, with camps, and the shortened national vacation time, will this even be possible?

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:02 pm »

I am kind of scared to see what our next contracts are going to look like, vacation cuts?

i hope not... there's barely enough as it is, it seems.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• curds
  • Veteran

• south africa
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
Yep Teacher MC, it primarily affects EPIK teachers but I doubt it'll be long before others have the same problem. I already saw our new contract and it mostly seems to be a positive change. If you guys are going to kick up a fuss (understandable), I think another post about a teachers Union is not such a bad idea.

Also at least here by me they do pay you extra if you don't take all of your vacation days and sometimes they pay you extra anyway :)

• teachermc
  • Super Waygook

• Tongyeong, South Korea
    more
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 01:10:00 pm »
I recently got the new schedule and see that with 3 week camps it will be impossible for me to use all of my vacation.  With re-signing in Epik we get 28 days total vacation for the year.  I am working in Busan and emailed BMCOE.  They replied that I will have to use my vacation during school time, there is no other way.  I gave the email to my co-teacher who said the VP will not be happy but guess what... I have vacation and I will be taking it!  If they want to $$$ compensate me for not taking vacation I might consider it...

Thanks for posting their reply.  It is not my office of education, but it is still reassuring that they are honoring the contract.  The way it is worded in English in our contracts suggests that school calendar days are sacred and untouchable.

• p33k
  • Veteran

• April 28, 2010, 01:57:59 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:37:42 pm »
I don't see how they could get away with not giving it to us at some point in the year, it's in the contract. 

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:37 pm »
I just signed and commenced my new contract - 2nd one, same school - and it is identical to the first. 18 days paid vacation - 8 during summer break and 10 during winter. I get a 10 (2 week) paid vacation if I re-sign for a 3rd year plus the 2 million Won signing bonus.

On a side note, signing my new contract was a trip with my CT to the Immigration office where I filled out the form and my ARC was signed. Nothing else was needed: no other paperwork or medical.

Painless
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 02:53:18 pm »

That's interesting.

Did your MOE office say anything specifically about summer camps? Did they perhaps say you will still have to do 3 weeks of summer camp (and therefore take any remaining vacation days in school time). Or did they say that you would have to take remaining vacation in school time if your school wanted you for a 3 week camp (but your school could decide to have a shorter camp if they wanted.)?

Or perhaps it was neither and they didn't mention camp at all and just passed the buck onto the NETs and their schools to fight it out on their own  :(