Read 30987 times

Re: Grade 6 - Lesson 1 - Where are you from - 대교
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:23 pm »
Super simple game to practice spelling names. Starts off simple, with the characters from the book, but then then there's a bunch of movie characters and singers and whatnot. My students played in groups of 4, and at times it turned into hangman because they had a lot of trouble with a couple of them. They seemed to enjoy it nonetheless.

• smiyashi
  • Explorer

• March 29, 2011, 02:52:04 pm
    • Pocheon, Korea
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »
I used a treasure map drawing activity for my class.  Some of the students really enjoyed drawing the treasure map.  I brought one student treasure after I graded the maps.

• aukina
  • Adventurer

• September 20, 2011, 08:32:23 pm
    • Chilgok, Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2013, 02:24:45 pm »
Heres a speaking game I used for the 1st period. I had to printout the cards and laminate them. Then its just a matching game. The kids have to ask "Where are you from ____" and say someone's name. If its a match they get points.

I also have a PPT explaning it.  :wink:

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2014, 09:31:02 am »
Here's my first period for this lesson. Materials and lesson plan included.

Anyone else stuck with this book for another year?

• Goyangi
  • Waygookin

• February 26, 2014, 06:34:00 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »
Thanks everyone for sharing your materials! ^^ Here are my own materials for the whole 4-day lesson: Intro Powerpoint, word search, playing cards, and omok. Here are some notes about how we use these in our lessons:

Playing Cards: We use these to play a matching game or Go Fish. For matching, we play with 24 cards face down on the table and students take turns flipping over 2 at a time to try to find a match. Play until a student runs out of cards or there are no more cards in the "pond" (card pile). Whoever has the most matches at the end wins.

For Go Fish, we play in groups of 2 or 3 with 48 cards per group. One student shuffles and deals 5 cards to each student. Students take turns asking each other, "Do you have __(sentence on the card)__?" The student who was asked responds, "Yes, here you are!" and gives the card(s) or "No, go fish!" and picks up one card from the pile. The objective is to match 4 of the same cards. The student with the most matches at the end wins.

Omok: We play this as a connect-5 game. Students play in pairs and each chooses a different color pen or pencil. I usually laminate the papers so we can use whiteboard markers and erasers. Students take turns saying the phrase in the square where they want to play and circling it with their colour. Students win if they circle 5 in a row (up and down or diagonally).

~~~

Anyone else stuck with this book for another year?

I'm still stuck with these too. Our school switched out 3rd and 4th grade to YBM this semester but 5th and 6th grade are still using these until next year. HWAITING!  :cry:
10 minutes after the bell, the teacher will appear.
― Gautama Buddha

• Ebbe
  • Waygookin

• October 27, 2011, 02:19:02 am
    • Atlanta
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2014, 11:17:30 pm »

I made a basic PowerPoint Game to accompany the Let's Write section of the unit. It's a white board game. Divide the class into groups, give each group a marker, and an eraser.

They will be shown 4 phrases, they choose as group which one they want to write. Then, at the end of time I make sure they hold up their whiteboards. I click the screen and 3 phrases will disappear. The group(s) with the remaining sentence wins a point. Keep Score.

I tell them that each member of the group must either, write one letter of the chosen sentence, or one member writes it all on one turn making sure they pass the whiteboard clockwise to next person for the next turn.

Included also is the font I used from dafont.com

• Moonmegs22
  • Explorer

• August 23, 2013, 11:40:34 am
    • Ulsan, South Korea
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »
For the intro lesson, I included a PPT with country names (famous places with some pictures); when I reached a name harder to pronounce (like Cannes, France) my co teacher first asked the students how Koreans pronounce the name (konglish). Then we went through random city/country names. An example - the teacher asked the students to pronounce their English version of Vietnam, but to me it sounded like Betnam.

The students enjoyed my look of confusion when my teacher would ask if I knew of countries like Betnam; and then I would say OOOh you mean Vietnam... or Eppel Tower - Eiffel Tower; and Haiti - omy that's a good one.

• Ibehere
  • Waygookin

• March 29, 2013, 07:31:27 pm
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:29 pm »
Matt Harding's "Where the Hell is Matt?" videos are great for motivation.

• mrpopo
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2011, 11:18:13 pm
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2014, 09:29:14 am »
Hey all, I'm in these books this year, so here are my videos I'll be using :) Enjoy!

Where are you from?

"Where are you from?/I'm-he's-she's from __________.-America-Mexico-China-Crazyland/Is he-she ________?-American-Spanish-Chinese-French-Japanese-Canadian-Korean-Mexican-crazy. No, she's _______."

http://www.adamthomasphotography.com/Other/Videos/17145463_TnfwpG#!i=2362141063&k=jd8mbNj&lb=1&s=A

Subtitles:
http://www.adamthomasphotography.com/Other/Videos-with-Subtitles/22287332_SxwHPL#!i=2362141706&k=FkDXQm9&lb=1&s=A

Download: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1JijgkO5Jl7blc5cGUtN2xvbVU&usp=sharing

How do you spell it?

"How do you spell it?/House. H-O-U-S-E./Visit the website helpme.com./What's your emergency?/My house is on fire!/Help me!"

http://www.adamthomasphotography.com/Other/Videos/17145463_TnfwpG#!i=2371732072&k=pQPFhPV&lb=1&s=A

Subtitles:
http://www.adamthomasphotography.com/Other/Videos-with-Subtitles/22287332_SxwHPL#!i=2371732904&k=zs7fv5T&lb=1&s=A

Download: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1JijgkO5Jl7blc5cGUtN2xvbVU&usp=sharing

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:56 pm »
Here is a writing lesson. Includes a song alternative.

I played the song for the students and challenged them to write as many countries as they could while the song played (Korean or English). The student who wrote the most received a prize.

The writing activity is a modification of what is in the book. Attached is the worksheet. I also provided the map paper so they could search for what Flag went with which country.

For the game, a running dictation game. The rules are in the PPT.

• Weyird
  • Adventurer

• September 18, 2012, 01:51:06 am
    • South Africa
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2014, 09:42:36 am »
A bomb-game based format getting them to practice the "blabla is in the northern part of blabla" sentence structure.

Also has a bit of a geography/general knowledge focus.
It's meant to fill up the last 15 min or so of class.

I would have explained the terms northern, southern, eastern and western, as well as quickly going over the names of the continents, focusing on Africa, Asia and Europe.

Students then choose a letter and answer the question in typical bomb-game manner.  I'm from South Africa, and I currently teach in Pohang, that's why those places are in the slide.