Read 2832 times

• iago.davids
  • Waygookin

• February 29, 2012, 12:59:57 pm
    • Daegu - South Korea
What do you do if you have no aircon?
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
I moved in an i noticed that there was no aircon in my apartment.

Will they be installing one in summer? do they seasonally remove them?

Re: What do you do if you have no aircon?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:05 pm »
What does one do?

Suck it up and buy a fan  ;)

Seriously, though, they probably won't give you one.  They are not seasonally installed.  You can TRY asking your school nicely, though they will likely cite budget issues.  Also, since you have to go through a co-teacher, it may partly depend on if your co-teacher actually cares about you or if he/she hates you simply for existing.  If the co-teacher has some cajones and doesn't hate you, then he/she may gently push the administration to get you one.  However, if the co-teacher doesn't have cajones or just hates you, you're out of luck.

I spent last year without air-conditioning in my apartment while working for public school.  It will probably be the same this year.  Let's just say there wasn't room for any of that negotiation when re-signing.    The 2 years before I moved to a public school, I worked in a hagwon and had air-conditioning (as per the contract).  Public school contracts don't guarantee aircon.

Anyways, if you don't get the air-conditioning (75% chance you won't) you will probably be given a fan by the school (just don't leave it on at night, k? ;)). 

Summer in Korea sucks.  I say that as a New England boy, but I've known folks from hotter places also complain about it.  It's super-humid and the rain doesn't bring relief.  Just blast the fan on high.  Also, make sure you have good, thick, opaque curtains.  Keep them closed during the day to keep the sun and hot air away.  At night, open up the windows and let the relatively cooler air in (watch out for mosquitoes!).  Close the windows and curtains again first thing in the morning (or even late at night before you go to bed if you wake up late).  This makes a huge difference and helped me deal with the heat a lot better.  Even without aircon, my apartment would be cooler than outside when I walked in after work at 5:00pm.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »
What does your contract say? If it doesn't specify aircon, you can buy your own or enjoy sweating in your underwear by a fan.

• brdelis
  • Explorer

• March 01, 2012, 06:11:51 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »
If you're in Daegu-- the DMOE specifies in your contract that you are entitled to air conditioning--at least that's what I understand. So, your school should provide it. If not, you should contact the DMOE through e-mail-
Hope you get it!-- It gets hot in Daegu!

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »
I lived in Daegu for a year
My korean friends in kyeongki-do all laughed and said It was the hottest place in Korea
It was!
but my director got me a nice new shiney aircon the day i moved in, he didnt even blink, even to a money greabbing hagwon director it was necessary
you need aircon :)
A fan will not cut it down there and you will have no sleep and your matress will get all sweaty >:(

• iago.davids
  • Waygookin

• February 29, 2012, 12:59:57 pm
    • Daegu - South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:53:01 am »
Guess i'll become the contract waver if nothing gets done... or else i'll feel the full force of the Daegu'in heat

• tfung31
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 10:59:20 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:57 am »
i bought a used fan that has ice packs you can put in there. I have an AC as well but im too cheap to use it.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:43 pm »
If you are in Daegu, this is something that is guaranteed in your contract.  I would talk with both your co-teacher and your school's head administration about getting the air conditioning installed in your apartment.  I would definitely recommend getting this taken care of when it's cold rather than waiting and sweating it out in an non-air conditioned apartment.

• snorske
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2012, 01:49:36 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »
have the school install one - read your contract!

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »

talk to ur co-teacher or native coordinator, if they cannot deal with it. You have to live with a fan..........

• obnavox3
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 02:16:27 pm »
Be civil but determined when explaining to your school that having air conditioning is is paramount.  It's as important as getting your pay check on time.  Fans are purposeless, they blow hot, humid air in your face.  Seriously, the weather in Korea is awful.  6+ months of winter and 3 months of hot, humid summer.  Like another posted said, if they can't do anything about it and you wish to re-sign in a year, moving into an apartment with air conditioning would need to be your first priority.