Read 25032 times

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
What's with those sausage snacks in Korea?
« on: February 29, 2012, 10:58:12 am »
I've noticed almost everywhere I go, they sell those sausage-looking snacks.  There are so many brands, varieties and at first I thought they were cheese, but i think it's some kind of pork meat?
Actually, I have no idea what it is.  I just eat it and it tastes pretty good. 

Anyone know what it is?  Imitation pork meat? Cheese? Synthetic food? Bad for your health or good?  They are everywhere!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
Re: What's with those sausage snacks in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:03:03 am »
Not sure, but they usually have about 10g of protein in them (and not that much fat) so two are a quick "protein fix" if you need something to maintain in between meals.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
They have been around forever. I don't like. But most of the students seem to enjoy them.

Wish they had Hillshire here! ARGH!

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
Some are fish and cheese.  My girlfriend loves them (a nostalgic treat, I think).  I think they're vomitrocious.

C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
The meat-on-a-stick ones freak me out even more..

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »
they look like cheese but someone told me it was meat.   :o
When I started eating one called "Hamster Story" I thought it was hamster meat.

How is it meat?  I'm afraid to ask cuz by looking at it, I think it's been blended into liquid and then reformed into the shape of sausages.
But it does taste yummy...i have myself a few now and then.

• UknowsI
  • Adventurer

• October 21, 2011, 02:05:18 pm
    • Daejeon
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:26:39 pm »
It's a mixture of many things and may vary from brand to brand. The main ingredient is usually fish, similar to fish cakes, but may contain cheese and a wide range of other ingredients. It seems like the nutritional value of them is pretty good compared to other snacks, but I don't personally like them too much.

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:38:34 pm »
How is it meat?  I'm afraid to ask cuz by looking at it, I think it's been blended into liquid and then reformed into the shape of sausages.

Kinda like how sausage is made?   ;)

• twak24
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2011, 08:01:42 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 11:46:00 am »

I can't stop laughing at the "Hamster Story" thing! Hahahaha! Ah, Korea! WHY is everything a friggin' "story"????
But in a country were dog and cat are consumed with great gusto on a daily basis, I would not be so quick to assume you have assumed incorrectly there, Joseph. The question is, would it stop you from eating them...

I've also always wondered what in the heckfire they are. I always thought they were cheese. No matter what they are, I think at the point in time when you are consuming them, they have been so heavily steeped in chemicals and  processed randomness, I doubt it matters what the original ingredients were. Like justanother said, vomitrocious. But to each his own.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:47:36 am by twak24 »

• Lthoma22
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2012, 10:10:09 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 02:23:51 pm »
At first, I thought they were hotdogs.
I actually like them. It's quick meal on the go. Some of them are kind of interesting. I guess they
don't look appetizing but try one!

• pohangite
  • Newgookin

• March 02, 2012, 09:39:39 am
    • Pohang, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »
I'm a pretty adventurous eater (had raw horse and chicken in Japan) and these things scare me. I feel like we'll never know EXACTLY what's in them, but instead, how about Calorie Balance? They are a good meal replacement and the flavors aren't bad. I actually like them now and then. They are called Calorie Block in Japan I think.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 11:50:27 pm »
They are terrible. Putrid. I thought that they were cheese as well, boy, was I wrong!! Spit it back out on the street, which is probably where it originated anyway.

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »

I can't stop laughing at the "Hamster Story" thing! Hahahaha! Ah, Korea! WHY is everything a friggin' "story"????
But in a country were dog and cat are consumed with great gusto on a daily basis, I would not be so quick to assume you have assumed incorrectly there, Joseph. The question is, would it stop you from eating them...

I've also always wondered what in the heckfire they are. I always thought they were cheese. No matter what they are, I think at the point in time when you are consuming them, they have been so heavily steeped in chemicals and  processed randomness, I doubt it matters what the original ingredients were. Like justanother said, vomitrocious. But to each his own.

I agree.  They may taste good (to me anyways) and have some decent protein or whatnot, but the fact is it's processed foods and anything that is not natural/organic, is most likely not that healthy.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:37:25 am »
LOL, hamster story! So how did that story end? Did the hamster let himself willingly drop into the porcelain throne or did ya' have to put up a fight to get him out?

:)
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:49 pm »
Are you referring to soondae, or "blood sausages"? They kinda look like these extremely long brownish sausages.

They're actually made from pork blood with silvery glass noodle filling. They're wrapped into a sausage casing. I personally don't like them at all.. they taste like blood. surprise. However, I have had it with doeokbokkie and they don't taste half bad. I think if you flavor it with a lot of salt or eat it as a soup, it's not so bad. All koreans love this dish but a lot of foreigners I know are pretty grossed out by it.

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »
Are you referring to soondae, or "blood sausages"? They kinda look like these extremely long brownish sausages.

They're actually made from pork blood with silvery glass noodle filling. They're wrapped into a sausage casing. I personally don't like them at all.. they taste like blood. surprise. However, I have had it with doeokbokkie and they don't taste half bad. I think if you flavor it with a lot of salt or eat it as a soup, it's not so bad. All koreans love this dish but a lot of foreigners I know are pretty grossed out by it.

No, that's not what OP is referring to.  OP is referring to sausage snacks of varying brands, as he stated.

• Sticks
  • Veteran

• May 11, 2011, 03:27:45 pm
    • Cheonan/Ansan, Korea
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 06:57:15 pm »

No, that's not what OP is referring to.  OP is referring to sausage snacks of varying brands, as he stated.
As with all things it's an acquired taste. I find the fresh-ish ones still hot off the street stalls the best, throw in a few offal cuts for good measure.  :P

OP was referring to these:
http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/10/26/its-a-rubbery-sausage-made-of-fish-and-cheese/

Another brand:
http://i.imgur.com/11gM6.jpg