Read 43064 times

Re: Grade 6, Lesson 1, I'm in the Sixth Grade YBM Maria Oh
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:02 pm »
Action game!

This game has been done many times before, here is my version for chapter 1...

ēSplit class into 3 teams. Each team takes turns standing at the front of the class reading the paragraph for levels 1,2,3. Each student in the line must say one word and also do the required action (Clap, Jump, scream, spin, duck).
ēTeacher or one student times each team. The team with the fastest total time wins!

• kkiongozi
  • Veteran

• September 27, 2011, 02:48:07 pm
    • Taegu, South Korea
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2012, 01:13:53 pm »
Hey guys, I know you've all finished lesson 1 by now, but here are my materials! I hope someone finds this useful in the future. I try to do fun and interactive activities. Also, I try to do level-differentiated activities.

The school tour is a ppt of pics of rooms in my school. You can easily use your phone (or an actual camera...) take some pics of your own school and edit it.

• sinjadu
  • Explorer

• May 09, 2012, 12:27:38 pm
    • Incheon
Grade6, Lesson 1 - I'm in the sixth grade (YBM, O Maria)
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 04:02:42 pm »
O/X quiz for grade and floor

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2012, 02:36:14 pm »
For the 4th section, we had to go over fractions so I made this review PPT for Fractions.

We also did an activity where we split the class into 6 or 7 teams. They each got one of the pictures in the attached doc and had to come to the front of the class to give clues about which room they were in. The other teams guessed. If I had a video camera, I would have taped each group to make their own video like the one someone posted of the Japanese students in different rooms of their school.

• 재시카89
  • Explorer

• February 23, 2012, 09:18:49 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2012, 09:29:16 am »
Lesson 1 review bomb game.  :)

• jhr92
  • Explorer

• July 09, 2011, 11:43:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2012, 04:41:30 pm »
I think that it's a little bit hard for normal students. My students complain why they have to study math in English class.

[Mod edit - deleted duplicate attachment]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:45:26 am by complex303 »
Glad to meet this Waygook^^

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
Re: (YBM Maria Oh) Grade 6, Lesson 1 - "I'm in the Sixth Grade"
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 10:15:36 am »
My school is using the same book again this year so I added a super simple, no prep battleship reskin. Everything is set to go, explains the rules and everything.

Detective Conan: Tower Chase

• keirdre
  • Veteran

• November 27, 2011, 06:20:53 pm
    • Abingdon, UK
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 10:19:12 am »
While we're all on the same page, what tactics do people have for the appalling "Your Turn" videos, such as: http://youtu.be/Fgqr1HKanhQ

Do you use them?  Do you skip them?  I tend to use them with the sound off and give students a minute in pairs to guess what was said.  I then pick a couple of pairs at random to show the class, before watching the video again with sound.

Any other techniques or tactics?

• dallasb7
  • Adventurer

• May 17, 2010, 01:25:56 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 01:28:42 pm »
This is a simple walk and talk activity. Find your friends in the same grade and line up in your floor levels.
Key Language
What grade are you in?
where is your classroom?

• keirdre
  • Veteran

• November 27, 2011, 06:20:53 pm
    • Abingdon, UK
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:00 pm »
This is a simple walk and talk activity. Find your friends in the same grade and line up in your floor levels.
Key Language
What grade are you in?
where is your classroom?

I did something similar last year, but had the students design their own avatar, and make up a grade and apartment floor.   My version was a bingo game however.

They used the language "What grade are you in?" and "Where is your apartment?" to ask each other, responding as their avatar. 

Bingo 4x4 Print.pdf is a randomized bingo board, and Bingo Avatar.doc is the header.  I stuck those headers at the top of the bingo board, and copied it.  There are a total of four different bingo layouts.

• pbfconnor
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2011, 12:25:51 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 08:18:31 am »
Grade 6, Lesson 1 - "I'm in the Sixth Grade"

Hey,
Here are the materials I have prepared for unit 1. They are updates from the post I made last year. I have neatened up the slide shows and removed a few mistakes I spotted. Also added a few new activities here and there.

• Grade 6 - Unit 1 - I'm in the sixth grade - Grammar Pt1

This one focuses on the following:

a) ordinal numbers (introduction)
b) when to use ordinal numbers
c) listen and repeat practice

• Grade 6 - Unit 1 - I'm in the sixth grade - Grammar Pt2

This one focuses on the following:

a) Ordinal number review
b) prepositions

• Grade 6 - Unit 1 - Snakes & Ladders

This is a game template i made. I used the same formatting as popular games (such as Angry Birds) to make a simple to use Snakes and Ladders board game.

To move the counters (a soccer ball and a basketball) simply click once to 'pick' them up, and click again to 'drop' them.

Each square on the board has a link to another slide (the question slides). The link is situated along the top of each square (it is invisible). Click the top of a a square to go to the question slides (There are 20  different slides - they may come up several times during the game - so don't be surprised if the same questions come up 3 or so times)

On the question slides, click the question box to show the answers. The heart with snake icon that appears will link you back to the main board). On the slides with cartoon characters and conversations click the character on the right of the screen to reveal the conversation boxes one by one.

When you 'drop' the balls on the relevant squares (on the main game board) - make sure to drop them near the bottom of the square (if you drop them at the top of the box, the hyper link will activate).

• Grade 6 - Unit 1 -  Flick Race

I stole this idea / template from someone else and modified it for this unit (and tried to improve the appearance / functionality of it also). Rules can be found on the attached document.

• Grade 6 - Unit 1 -  Iím In The 6th Grade - Ordinal Numbers Game

An idea posted by someone a few posts up on this thread. Print the numbered balls from the slide show below. Hand them out to the students and get them to line up in the correct order (could be a team game or a whole class activity). Once they are lined up they should say the numbers out loud as practice.

• Grade 6 - Unit 1 -  Iím In The 6th Grade - Find Your Partner Game

A simple find your partner game, using all the main sentence structures from this unit. Cards and instructions are all on the ppt.

Hope these are of use to someone. ^^
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:43:10 pm by pbfconnor »

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 01:55:24 pm »
I notice there appears to be no song, bar the unhelpful 12 days of xmas. Anyone have any good quality videos that don't exceed 3 mins? I used this one as a warm up today and it worked a treat.

Just stop the video when all the bugs are on the screen, and tell the students the colour. Once the video ends you can ask them who was eaten first, second, etc... it actually worked a treat great motivator to start any lesson for this chapter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy0m0OQti4c

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »
This worksheet is to practice fractions and symbols for the Hello World on page 15. 

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 03:12:42 pm »
Sleeping elephant game, instructions included. Good for reading/writing or possibly review. Practices variations from the look and speak section i.e. the two key expressions:

What ____ are you in?
Im in _____.
Where is the______?
It's on the ____ floor.

Enjoy! PM me if you want any clarification of the rules!

• dizzl
  • Veteran

• September 14, 2010, 01:20:32 am
    • Jeju
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:29 pm »
Baskin Robbin's 31 (or 30 for the first slide)

The second slide has bombs.
Let the students play in groups of 4. If they read a bomb they are out if the read the last sentence they are the winner.

Use the first slide to practice giving all students a chance. Break the class into teams of three and let each group have a go a different student each time. The group that reads the last sentence is the loser.

sorry the PPT is really basic with no rules. I use it for the 2nd slide as the main activity printed out.

• Pin
  • Veteran

• March 30, 2011, 01:18:14 pm
    • Yongin, South Korea
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2013, 08:21:46 am »
A simple puzzle... most of my kids can do this one.  It's probably too easy for high-level students, but it's all right for medium-level students.
히라리 히라리

• jurassic82
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 12:30:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2013, 08:46:24 am »
Here are two Sesame Street videos I used as a warm up and review of first and last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHfEmIXkWfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oltFGbA0mZc

• tweety11226
  • Adventurer

• August 04, 2011, 12:41:12 am
    • South Korea, Daegu
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2013, 02:05:22 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I do not teach the YBM book but I am teaching the same lesson but in the Cheonjae Book (blue color), "What grade are you in?

I am attaching the updated Where is Waldo ppt and I added Myungsu in this as well. What's new about this ppt, is that they have to guess what number they are in because the screen will move very fast. The kids are going to LOVE it. TRUST ME!!

Also, I updated the Matching Powerpoint Game Edit pptx. I made it into a a bomb game and I added switch, more steals and of course a BOMB, where everyone will lose their points. I think it would be more excited, but I wanted to contribute to this thread because I got the original ppts from this thread.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers!

• andsku
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2013, 12:57:49 pm
    • Bucheon
I'm in the Sixth Grade - Ordinal Numbers game
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 02:11:47 pm »
Just a game idea for the end of the "I'm in the sixth grade" lesson.

Our class had 28 children so we wrote out '1st, 2nd, 3rd.....14th' on two sets of small pieces of paper.

We split the class in two and had half at the front and half at the back stand in a line.

We handed out the cards at random. Then on 'ready...set....go' the children had to rearrange themselves from beginning to end. Then they yelled out 'FIRST SECOND THIRD....etc.' and sat down. The first team all sitting down wins! We repeated this a couple times.

Then before they all sit down you let them race back to their desks, one ordinal number at a time. You can call out 'fifth!' and the two children with the card 'fifth' would run to their seat. First one there, wins. Repeat until all children are sitting.

It was a great way to get them up and excited about ordinal numbers.
 ;D

• jurassic82
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 12:30:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2013, 02:47:11 pm »
Here is a power point I made to talk about Ordinal numbers. I used the 2012 Korean Baseball rankings so students could talk about who was first, second, third and last.