Read 42736 times

• ESmith4
  • Veteran

• April 23, 2010, 03:54:25 pm
    • Korea
Re: Grade 6, Lesson 1, I'm in the Sixth Grade YBM Maria Oh
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »
I changed the Hotel Game to a school in order to include What grade are you in?  If you have any questions on how to play, please let me know.

The Ordinal Middle School works fine on my MS computer. But I want to use it at my elementary school. For some reason I get a message along the lines of "Some [things] in this ppt can't be activated, so they won't work." And the background photo for the school doesn't show up, and some other things as well (don't recall what, this was last week). Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? I'd love to use this Thursday in class to teach the ordinal and expressions part of the lesson. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Get Dropbox and 2 GB of free space online today! http://db.tt/QkqDoXC

• Fad9567
  • Waygookin

• December 05, 2011, 09:31:17 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:58 pm »
Hello again,

So another user asked me if I could post the Bingo game, but a .ppt version instead of .pptx.
Here we go (I think this will work...)

Edit: Righto. Didn't work. Not sure how to change it to a .ppt then... v_kcin, let me know if that worked or not!

Its in this thread : http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,21280.0.html

You can use this website to download a program that will change it for you. Problem Solved

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 11:02:40 am »
I just used this for a speed game, girls vs. boys. I will laminate and cut out each word and place them face down on the table. The kids have to turn them and put them in order. Fastest team wins. The months category is from last year, but I left it in because it's easy review and good confidence builder. I also recommend taping ordinals to something like chairs around the room (or hand each student an ordinal and have them arrange themselves) and have the kids arrange them in a line the fastest, always a hit.  I have more I'll try to post as the unit progresses!

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 01:48:55 pm »
Go fish game for joining clubs.

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 02:00:53 pm »
For this lesson, we did a quick review using THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A FLY...

I made a quick worksheet for the students to use while they listened to the clip.

We also played 3-6-9: first without ordinal numbers and then with ordinal numbers.
For those who don't know how to play, here are the directions:
The first student starts by saying "one" then two, three, etc.
Any number that has a 3, 6 or 9 the student must clap. If they don't clap, they are out. If they stutter they are out, etc. Hope that makes sense.

• rhaulian
  • Waygookin

• October 15, 2010, 09:55:20 am
    • Gunpo, Gyeonggi do, South Korea
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 02:19:55 pm »
Ok so I made this rank game.  I first printed all the countries in the docx file, cut them out, and gave each team a set of the 40 countries ( I laminated them so that they could be easily reused).  I then created this PPT, which to be honest is super basic (compared to the many talented people here).  This ppt shows the students the top 10 countries for the given categories.  I first taught them some Vocabulary and then showed them the lists.  The cutting and laminating was kind of time consuming, but it was worth it because the students really enjoyed it.

Ahhh and there are a few mistakes, one is the hint about the babies.  9 of them are in Africa and one is in ASIA... I forgot to change it everytime, and it seems I forgot here too.... I guess I could change it, but eh...  :P

Enjoy!
Nationalism is a disease.

Nicholas Negroponte

• marshapack
  • Explorer

• August 27, 2011, 10:15:32 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
This lesson is problematic because the definite article in front of "x Grade" sends shivers down my spine.  I really liked the bingo sheet from the previous post, and have yet to use it.

For mine, I borrowed the template from a fifth grade worksheet, and provided corrections by removing the definite article in the appropriate places.  Hope this helps.

I'm from the california and I would say "I'm in the 6th grade." Sounds like it's just a regional thing so I wouldn't worry about correcting the kids if they say it either way. 

People in California argue all the time about this regarding freeway names. People from southern cali say "take the 5 north" people from northern cali say "take 5 north." The second way sounds weird to me but oh well!

• eaglejam
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2010, 08:35:26 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »
fun introduction video, you can talk about who came 1st, 2nd etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X94Jpww8SzU

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
Similarly, in NY I rarely hear the full sentence used. And when I do it's inconsistent. Sometimes the x grade. sometimes just x grade. Another thing people from the NYC area do is say "stand on line" instead of "stand in line/cue" or "I live ON long island." We don't say on NY, but since it's an island(albeit a large one) we say "On".

I'd just teach in however the book has it. I never say glad to meet you ("nice to meet you", sure) but I've just been teaching that. They might use it somewhere and it's not technically wrong.

This lesson is problematic because the definite article in front of "x Grade" sends shivers down my spine.  I really liked the bingo sheet from the previous post, and have yet to use it.

For mine, I borrowed the template from a fifth grade worksheet, and provided corrections by removing the definite article in the appropriate places.  Hope this helps.

I'm from the california and I would say "I'm in the 6th grade." Sounds like it's just a regional thing so I wouldn't worry about correcting the kids if they say it either way. 

People in California argue all the time about this regarding freeway names. People from southern cali say "take the 5 north" people from northern cali say "take 5 north." The second way sounds weird to me but oh well!

• kmfsu32
  • Adventurer

• May 18, 2011, 01:05:15 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 03:29:42 pm »
Has anybody done the "Story Land" portion of the lesson?  Been looking for some different ideas aside from the  approach of "Answer some questions and repeat the sentences.  Thought about some role play but feel like that's been run into the ground.

• molany
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2012, 11:01:19 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »
hey all,
I want to share 2 activity/game that worked really well in my 6th grade classes this week. It focuses on practising the ordinal numbers that they learnt in this lesson. my students loved it and they got so excited. Also got them talking in English alot too!

1. Activity (Do it after teaching your class ordinal numbers)
 Print out a page of numbers 1~ 40, 50...100 etc. (I added even one millionth to make it more challenging for my students- See attachments)  I laminated it so I could use it over again and cut them up. Size should be small enough for students to hide it in their hands.
In the classroom, I lined up the students in a single row and told them to count off from 1 in ordinal numbers (To practice it and remind them) and then I gave out a number each and told them to look and hide it in their hands. They have fine out what others number are and line up in the order from the smallest number to the biggest number.

Rule: Only speak English (Can only ask question like "What number do you have?" "My number is eleventh")
        Can't show eachother the number they have, they have to say it.

To make it more interesting, I timed them. First I gave them 2 mins (Use a timer or phone to set up time so when it's up, it will make s noise) and from the second time around, I decreased it to 1min 30sec.
After the time is up, go to the student who has the smallest number(should be the first person on the line) and ask them to say their ordinal number out loud to check if they are standing in the right place and keep going till the last student. So that students can see if they lined up in the correct order and to get them practising ordinal numbers. And play again!
Also another good way is to start with small numbers like 1~30, then you can add higher numbers to make it challenging like 112 or 789 or to even 1000th! They really have to think how to say it in ordinal numbers.
Since you are giving out the numbers,for the higher level students it's a good way to challenge them so it's not too easy and for lower level, you can give easier numbers.

2. "3-6-9" Game
This game is really popular in Korea so I knew that the students would know it already. I just changed it from just saying numbers to saying ordinal numbers.
Only rule is, every time you get 3 or 6 or 9 in the number (EG- 13, 16, 19, 23, 33, 34, 35, 61,95 etc), you have to clap instead saying the number out loud.
Get your students to make a circle and one student start off counting from FIRST and the next person on the right said SECOND and the next person on the right has to CLAP their hand instead of saying THIRD. And they keep going around. It gets little crazy when they get to 30 cus they have to clap constantly till 39. It's easy to loss track of the number and the student who claps as the wrong time or says the wrong number is out.
You keep playing till one person remains.
It's really fun and because the students know the original Korean version of this game they pick it up real fast. Great thing is that you still get them to practise ordinal numbers and it gets harder to say it. My class loved it and it was alot of fun.

Hope this helps!

Molany

• Mufasa10
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2012, 12:21:00 pm
    • Yeongju
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2012, 06:40:37 pm »
Hey, just a 'simple' word scramble game. I think it's pretty hard actually, but that's ok  ;)

• Christa
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2011, 12:45:42 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 02:09:39 pm »
Here are the images for this Unit ... I find the them especially useful for the 'story land' sections.

Happy teaching
 :)

• Kramerized
  • Adventurer

• March 20, 2012, 09:47:54 am
    • Cheonan, South Korea
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 10:05:57 am »
Here is a Doraemon Bomb game to use as a review for chapter one. The First slide has all game point instructions. I've used it with all 6 of my sixth grade classes and they LOVED it.

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »
My coteachers are really big into motivational videos to show or talk about at the beginning of class. I did hte bug'srace. that went well. Is there another video out there? Im struggling to find something

• Christa
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 03:51:24 pm »
Here is a "story land" activity.
It's a 'basken robbins', each Ss must read part of the story but they choose whether they read 1, 2 or 3 word. This continues till the last word on the screen is read. The person who reads the word last then has to answer a question about the story.
Hope it helps.

• Christa
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »
Here is a "story land" activity.
It's a 'basken robbins', each Ss must read part of the story but they choose whether they read 1, 2 or 3 word. This continues till the last word on the screen is read. The person who reads the word last then has to answer a question about the story.
Hope it helps.

sorry guys, these a mistake on the last slide ... just fix it before you use it. It should read "Because Anne is an English teacher now.

• Christa
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2012, 01:26:33 pm »
Hi all.

Here is a Porroro bomb game that I found on another link and adapted to this lesson. I was afraid it would be to childish for 6th graders but my kids loved it.

happy teaching

• Christa
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 01:46:45 pm »
Activity for lesson 3 ' read and think'

1. I followed the book u to the 'read about us' part
2. I used a ppt to go through different classes. I just used science class, computer class, music class, art class and library.
3. I had made flash cards with the ordinal numbers written out (first - tenth). I also had picture cards of each 'class'. (one set of number and picture flash card for each group)
4. I then had the Ss play something similar to 'broken telephone':
 - have each group stand in one line with 1 desk in front of each group.
 - everyone in the group faces away from the screen except the last Ss in the line. (Ss closest to the screen)
 - Teacher will show a sentence on the screen, eg. "the library is on the 1st floor"
 - The ss closest to the screen has to read the sentence and relay it to the next Ss, who in turn has to relay it to the next person until the Ss in the front of the line (nearest to the flash cards) receives the sentence.
- That Ss then has to run to the flashcards, pic out the correct picture i.e. 'library', and the correct number i.e 'first'.
-  That Ss then has to raise his/her hand and say the correct sentence to the teacher.
- The first team to get the correct answers is allocated the highest score.
- The Ss who was in the front then has to change places and stand at the back, becoming the next person to read the sentence.

The flashcards are included on the ppt.

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »
Here's an activity called 'classroom race game'...

•Print out 2 copies of the classroom cards and laminate them. I used sticky-back magnets to attach them to the board, but you can just use regular ones.
•Draw a (4 floors x 7 rooms) grid on the board, designed to look like a school.
•Split the class in 2 teams, go over the different classroom cards with students, checking comprehension. Then place the cards face up on a table next to the board, 1 set for team A and 1 for team B.
•Each team 6-7 students at a time, form a single line at the back of the room. Teacher says for example – “The music room is on the 4th floor, 3rd room”. Students race to find the classroom and place it in the correct space on the board.
•Fastest team wins 1 point. Lose 1 point for noisy team or teammates helping in Korean.

Students really enjoyed this, just make sure you clear some space down the aisles for them to run along!