Read 41998 times

Re: Grade 6, Lesson 1, I'm in the Sixth Grade YBM Maria Oh
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:30 am »
Hey, y'all.

I made a reading worksheet for lesson 1-3 (p.12-13), but I suppose you can use it any time.

The worksheet has a map of a school (like the one on page 13), but some of the spaces are blank. Below is a word bank with the names of the missing rooms. Students will have to read a text similar to the one on page 12 to figure out where the missing rooms go.

HEADS UP: I am posting this so some people might get a chance to use it before they have to teach this class. I have not taught this lesson yet, so I do not know how well it will go over or how much time it will take. Also, make sure students know what 'next to' means. I'll probably chime in again after I've used this in a lesson.

As always, feel free to message me with any feedback, improvements, or ideas about this activity. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:04:30 am by menschmaschine »

• davidb
  • Adventurer

• September 12, 2010, 04:16:37 pm
    • Jeju
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:02:18 pm »
here is a car racing powerpoint game that can be used for the first lesson. Thanks to whoever posted the  original car race game. My students love it.

• mavsfan5
  • Adventurer

• March 07, 2011, 07:32:38 am
    • Tongyeong, South Korea
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 03:19:38 pm »
Just incase you don't have them already, here is the teacher's book and images for the vocabulary for this lesson!

• molany
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2012, 11:01:19 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
Re: Grade 6 Index.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 05:50:41 pm »
Does anyone have vocabulary list for 6th Grade Book3, YMB, by Maria Oh?

• molany
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, Korea
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:39:12 pm »
@menschmaschine: Thanks for your reading worksheet! I think it maybe little too simple for my class but I might make a advanced version so it's more challenging for higher level 6th graders! When I do, I'll make sure to post it here :)

• ichabod13
  • Adventurer

• December 01, 2010, 10:41:25 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »
Here is a handout for Unit 1. It contains the target expressions, vocabulary and a listening exercise for Your Turn.  It also includes a word search (the words to find are the key vocab words). Feel free to use this as an introduction or a review. I generally use it as an intro.

• HannahA
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 03:49:57 pm
    • ulsan, south korea
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
I changed the Hotel Game to a school in order to include What grade are you in?  If you have any questions on how to play, please let me know.

Really like the game and idea. I have changed some of the characters around, got Optimus Prime, Angry Bird etc. Just to make it a bit more fun. Thanks for the ppt! Great help. And it uses the target language very well.

I have decided the kids will write down the grade they think the character is in, and have them reveal it to me at the same time...just for a bit of drama! :)

• HannahA
  • Explorer

• August 31, 2011, 03:49:57 pm
    • ulsan, south korea
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »
Here is my modified PPT of the ordinal elementary school.

• v_kcin
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2011, 01:28:09 pm
    • Gangwon-do, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:20 pm »
Hi all,
I don't mean to be a killjoy, but please, please only post something if you are contributing material or ideas.

We're all stoked about how great Waygook is, but having to sift through endless pages to find useful material is a bummer, especially when there are 10,000 other people on the site at the same time and it takes 4 minutes to load each page.

If you want to give props or feedback to someone, use the Private Message tool. That's what it's there for.

That said, here's a Blazing Pens game I made for G6 - Lesson 1.3.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:18 pm »
No ppts, but I do have a simple game that I play a lot and is easily applicable to this lesson.  My CTs like to save the worksheets for their classes, and I don't like relying on ppts too much so I like playing simple games like this.  You can really adjust it for any lesson about sequence (months, days, etc.).  Plus it's a good filler. 

I'm sure everyone knows it, some teachers call it Baskin Robbins 31.  Basically, everyone stands up and they can say up to 3 numbers at once  The one stuck saying 31 has to sit down.  I adjust it to 13 instead of 31, though.  So, for this lesson we just change it to ordinal numbers.  It's certainly better than drilling the numbers into their heads, and each student practices the pronunciation much more. 

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »
This might be from an old thread, but my coteacher used this Where's Waldo game. It is good for a warm up, you can also ask about the other people in the picture: "Where is the tallest person?" "Where is the girl with the purple shoes?"

I am thinking about making a go fish game. Anyone have suggestions on how many card/pairs a deck should have for a good game with about 4-6 students?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:38:33 pm by complex303 »

• ichabod13
  • Adventurer

• December 01, 2010, 10:41:25 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:41 pm »
Here are ordinal worksheets for upper and lower levels.

Pretty self explanatory. Gives kids the ordinal number spelling and lets them practice writing and speaking (depending on time in class).

Great supplementary or homework activity!

• molany
  • Adventurer

• Seoul, Korea
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:19 pm »
@menschmaschine, here is an advanced version that I made for my class next week. I just added more boxes in the school and added more instructions.
Thanks for your idea!

Enjoy~

• slsd
  • Newgookin

• February 28, 2012, 01:47:57 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 12:22:25 pm »
I edited the match game that the guy from the EPIK orientation gave us, made it a points system. Kids today liked it once they'd got the hang of it.
Kids have to say the sentence for teacher to reveal (by pressing on the circle on the bottom right). Once they get a match click on the symbol and it will take you to the points screen. Click on the globe (bottom right) to go back to game screen. Hope that makes sense and is useful.

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »
Went looking through the When is your birthday thread for some ideas, they can easily be changed to fit this lesson.
Attached a Battle Ship game board.

Also some ideas:
Numbers game directions:
Ss are divided into groups, when the Ts says go Ss need to stand up one by one saying a number ie. first, second, third etc. If two Ss stand up at the same time and say the same number their teams are out that round.
Each team gets points for every member in their team that is standing and once there is a team with all it's members standing that team is the winner and gets x amount of points.
The point of the game is to have all the members in your team standing.

Split the room into two teams. One student from each team will stand up. Teacher will roll the dice and the students will say the ordinal number, the first to say it will get a point for their team.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:38:47 pm by complex303 »

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 01:32:02 pm »
use this video

• xbuff1118
  • Newgookin

• March 09, 2012, 11:55:40 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2012, 03:39:05 pm »

Thank you for sharing your good ideas. I have used your 2 PPT fies about unit 1 in my lesson.
They were easy, very organized and successful!!!. Thank you again.

Hey,
Here are the materials I have prepared for unit 1. There are two power points and 2 activities (Snakes and Ladders / Flick Race).

PPT 1: Grade 6 - Unit 1 - I'm in the sixth grade - Grammar Pt1
(Updated to remove a few errors - Mach 2nd 2012)

This one focuses on the following grammar points:

a) ordinal numbers (review / introduction)
b) when to use

PPT 1: Grade 6 - Unit 1 - I'm in the sixth grade - Grammar Pt2

This one focuses on the following grammar points:

a) Ordinal number review
b) prepositions

Grade 6 - Unit 1 - Snakes & Ladders

This is a game template i made. I used the same formatting as popular games (such as Angry Birds - Thanks to the maker of that) to make a simple to use Snakes and Ladders board game.

To move the counters (a soccer ball and a basketball) simply click once to 'pick' them up, and click again to 'drop' them.

Each square on the board has a link to another slide (the question slides). The link is situated along the top of each square (it is invisible). Click the top of a a square to go to the question slides (There are 20  different slides - they may come up several times during the game - so don't be surprised if the same questions come up 3 or so times)

On the question slides, click the question box to show the answers. The heart with snake icon that appears will link you back to the main board). On the slides with cartoon characters and conversations click the character on the right of the screen to reveal the conversation boxes one by one.

When you 'drop' the balls on the relevant squares (on the main game board) - make sure to drop them near the bottom of the square (if you drop them at the top of the box, the hyper link will activate).

Grade 6 - Unit 1 -  Flick Race

I stole this idea / template from someone else and modified it for this unit (and tried to improve the appearance / functionality of it also)
Rules can be found on the attached document.

Hope these are of use,

Any suggestions, drop me a message.

Patrick

• Mufasa10
  • Waygookin

• March 02, 2012, 12:21:00 pm
    • Yeongju
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 12:21:11 am »
Thank you so much guys, you're life savers! ;D

• gmoney47
  • Explorer

• August 28, 2011, 06:56:16 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 08:00:54 am »
A Spongebob game I made for this lesson. The kids go absolutely bat shit crazy for this, hopefully it will be of use to you guys :)

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 02:29:59 pm »
Here's a copy of the teacher's guide in English if anyone needs it. It covers lessons 1-8. They're all HWP files.
 ;D