Read 3375 times

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• June 14, 2010, 02:01:32 pm
    • Ulsan
Winter Camps: 1 or 2
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »
How many winter camps are we supposed to teach? I have to teach a 3 week winter camp for the MOE and my school wants me to teach a week long camp after that. This week long camp conflicts with my holiday time. They owe me an extra 3 days on top of the given 10. So I am just wondering if we have to teach both or just one.

• klorptar
  • Veteran

• September 15, 2010, 08:35:45 am
    • Ulsan, South Korea
Re: Winter Camps: 1 or 2
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »
I have to do the same thing at my school, but they gave me a few vacation days prior to the beginning of the MOE camp, and there will be an opportunity to take the rest in February...fortunat ely. Although this is Korea, so of course all of that is subject to change.

• summerthyme
  • Featured Contributor

• July 10, 2010, 05:02:32 am
    • Waegwan, Chilgok, Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:19:58 pm »
If my understanding is correct (and it may not be), we pretty much are required to teach whatever length and number of camps that our school / MOE / POE wants us to, provided they still give us our vacation days. 

Though I don't think there are anything in the contracts (or mine, at least) that specify when you can get your vacation, or even if they have to give it to you all at once?  In mine there's just something about 'provided it doesn't interfere with camps' etc.
Please click "Report to moderator" for posts that show harassment, fighting, rudeness, or which otherwise go against waygook's general terms and conditions.  Thanks for your assistance!

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:21:05 pm »
There are no hard and fast rules about how many days / weeks of camp you teach. Last Summer I taught four weeks of summer camp and my friends taught two, this winter I'm teaching two and half and some are only teaching one. It depends on your school. I'd try explaining how many days your contract says you can take (keep in mind it's days, they might not be altogether) and see how they can accommodate you.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Ulsan
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:25:53 pm »
Yes I am trying to be positive on this one. I tried in the summer to get time off to visit my home and they would accommodate the time, hence the 3 days that they owe me. I am hoping that they understand that and are a little more understanding. However, by bending over for them in the summer, it may make them believe that they can do this every time.

• Janitor
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Ulsan
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:54:36 pm »
I will be meeting with my co-teacher again today, any ideas on what I should say?

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »
My husband and I were in a similar situation after being given so much Summer camp we were hoping for less in Winter. They initially proposed four weeks and then I reminded them I can take 10 days for Winter vacation, not just five like in Summer. It was then suggested that I split these weeks so they could fit in more camp.

I wasn't nasty about it. I simply said I would 'like' to take ten days, is this possible? I think I'm supposed to take them DURING vacation...what do you think? After looking at the school calendar it turned out those were the only dates they could give me as the rest of my contract includes teaching / lunar new year and other classes. Good luck!

• AC_in_Korea
  • Super Waygook

• July 30, 2010, 11:25:33 am
    • Miryang, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »
What about putting it back in their court?  Tell your co teacher that you would love to teach as many camps as possible, but you have to take your vacation time too.

Suggest that he/she speak to the MOE to figure out a suitable schedule that allows you to teach both camps (or one) and allows you to take your vacation time too.  Then kindly remind her that you have three extra days from the shuffle you did in the summer, and you need to take those too.  Ask her/him for suggestions of what to do.

I think they will feel better if they are the ones that arrive at the decision of cancelling or cutting a camp short...

HOpe this helps!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 01:24:33 pm »
If my understanding is correct (and it may not be), we pretty much are required to teach whatever length and number of camps that our school / MOE / POE wants us to, provided they still give us our vacation days. 

Though I don't think there are anything in the contracts (or mine, at least) that specify when you can get your vacation, or even if they have to give it to you all at once?  In mine there's just something about 'provided it doesn't interfere with camps' etc.

+1 if you're with EPIK.  if your vacation (including the extra two weeks you receive for renewing) interferes with an English program, the school's supposed to "...negotiate alternative dates" with you.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 01:34:20 pm »

I think they will feel better if they are the ones that arrive at the decision of cancelling or cutting a camp short...

This is pretty big...at least when I deal with my co-teacher.  She doesn't like me presenting my own ideas about things (lesson plans, vacation, you name it).  Instead, I have to make suggestions (subtly most of the time) and steer her toward the conclusion I want.  As long as it appears she is the one in charge making the decisions, the "decision" she arrives at is usually the one I want.

Be firm when you have to, but tact and subtlety go a long way.

• jonpurdy
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2010, 01:42:50 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 02:15:46 pm »
As others have said, they'll have to negotiate alternate vacation days with you that may coincide with regular classes. This has happened almost every year I've been here and it's been fine. It's too bad I miss the easy classes where they just watch movies, though.

• joel
  • Waygookin

• September 13, 2010, 08:37:01 am
    • Gwangju, South korea
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »
In my experience, all you have to do is mention that you are going to talk to the MOE (not in a nsaty way) and they pretty much immediately change their mind. Hierarchies.