Read 73021 times

• lianney
  • Super Waygook

• April 05, 2012, 09:12:45 am
Used for period 5. First have students practice reading the sentences. Then lay them on the floor in a line (I used sheet protectors so they stay nice). Divide the class into two teams. One team starts at one end of the line and the other team starts at the other end. One student from each team will read the sentences while walking closer to the center. When the two students meet, they have to do rock paper scissors. The loser will go to the end of the line and the next student will begin reading. The winner will keep on going. The team to make it to the end wins or gets a point. My kids loved it and stayed after class to keep playing.
http://www.liasian.wordpress.com Accounts of a Korean American adoptee

$10 off of orders $40 or more on iHerb.com Code: LST616 http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=LST616

Earn $25 when you book $50 or more at Booking.com : https://www.booking.com/s/34_6/9545870b

• karien
  • Waygookin

• July 23, 2010, 12:08:13 pm
    • Korea
This is a very simple ppt I made to do instead of the "Around the World" activity on p35.  They just need to aks "Whose soccer uniform is this?" and then guess.

Minecraft wordsearch and make a sentence.  Also Minecraft font.

Here's my take on the Nunchi Game, with demonstrations for the students. You can substitute the sentences here for other lessons; I usually just take some from the  book's otherwise useless reading-period pages.

Most of my classes are about 25-30 kids, arranged in a 6x4 pattern with change. For the first round, I make each row of 6 into a team, with any remainder students tacked on as the seventh member as necessary. We read the all-black sentence together as a class, then I show the same sentence divided into 6 parts. The teams each try to read it correctly in turn: each student stands up and reads one part, in order, without speaking at the same time as others on the team (if there's an odd 7th member, I have them read the entire sentence). Any team that succeeds gets 10 points (or 1 point, but the Kobe Bryant gif shows 10... didn't want to confuse the kids).

For the second round, "Minus Points", we play with the same sentences as before, but by column instead of row. Teams remain the same. Rather than read pre-divided parts, the students must read one, two, or three words from the sentence (and therefore you must show the all-black version). If someone finishes the sentence, their team loses 10 points. If two people speak at the same time, both their teams lose 10 points. This last one's kind of hard to explain initially, but if a student reads his/her part such that the sentence can't be finished in 3 more words (by the next student), his/her team loses 10 points. It may not be immediately intuitive, since he/she's not the "last" person to speak, but by choosing too few words he/she is most "guilty". As with the first round, there are slides demonstrating this. Also, for any columns that are short a kid or two I just sub in my coteacher or someone else from the same team. The team with the least negative score wins (most will drop below zero after the 2nd round).

There's a photo of me in the last slide that links back to the first sentence. You may choose to remove this or replace it with some other personalized or funny picture.

There are two non-standard fonts partly embedded in the PPT; for editing I've attached the full Nanum font family. Have fun!

• CiaraF
  • Explorer

• March 05, 2013, 09:06:11 am
    • Daejean, South Korea
I made this powerpoint for the 'Around the World' section.
You'll probably want to modify it but the template is there.

Also I've attached a 'Spot the errors' task and a 'Correct the sentences' game  for the writing section.

I hope someone finds them useful :)

Decided it's time to contribute. I get so much from this site but never give back so here it is :) Most games have explanations included in the document.

I have gathered and created lots of materials for each lesson of the chapters in this book. Some of the stuff may be a repeat as I have downloaded many a PPT from Waygook. This stuff is not all originally my idea. Many times I have used other peopleís stuff and modified it, though some stuff I have done solo. So credit to other people whoíve posted before.
Since there are several files, I will give a brief explanation for how to use or play games for those that are not self explanatory. Here goes:

Speaking and Action Game: Students stand up and read one word at a time, moving along their rows. When a shape appears above a word, the student must say the word and do the action, such as clapping. When there is a triangle that takes over the original word, the student must say the new word associated with the triangle. If a student says the wrong word, does the wrong action or is too quiet, they are out and must sit down. Play until one student remains.
Go Fish Card Game: Play like Go Fish. Students use the dialog to ask for different cards. If the person they ask has the card, that person must give all of the cards of that particular variety. If the person they ask does not have a card, they take a card from the middle pile. A set of 4 is one point. Example play given in PPT.
Word Shark Hangman: Hangman.
Guessing Game: Students must try to guess the picture, using the key expression. They have three chances, seeing more of the picture with each chance. If they can get it in the first try, they get three points. Second try, two points. Third try, one point.
Reading Jigsaw Game: Split students into groups of 4. Each person gets one of the reading cards, A, B, C or D. Each student, in alphabetical order, reads one of their sentences for each number. The group must connect the clues to find the answer.
Speaking and Reading Board Race Game: Split students into partners. Each partner starts from one opposite end of the board. They must read the sentences as quickly as possible at the same time, moving in the direction of their partnerís starting point. When they read the same box, play rock, paper, scissors. Winner continues from that box, loser starts again from their beginning. Continue until one person reaches the opposite side of the board.
Stand, Read, Sit: Split students into partners. Two partners stand up. Teacher shows word, phrase or sentence on the screen. Students read quickly and sit down. First partner to read correctly and sit down is the winner.
Twisting Words: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups read moving words on the screen and form a sentence. Write sentence on the white board. Groups with the correct answer get one point.
Blazing Pens: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups unscramble words on the screen and form a sentence. Write sentence on the white board. First group with the correct answer gets a point.
Quick Pens: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups write as many sentences on the white board based on the picture on the screen. One point for each correct sentence.
Telepathy Game: Split students into groups and give each a small white board, marker and eraser. Groups write one of the four displayed sentences on the white board. If the sentence matches the remaining sentence on the screen, they get one point.
Writing Elimination Game: Students choose one word, phrase or sentence from each column. They should select a total of four boxes to make a sentence or short paragraph. Have all students stand up. Click on one box at a time from each column to make it disappear. Students who have written what is in the boxes that are clicked away must sit down. Last student standing is the winner.
Bomb Games: You know what to do!

Hope this material helps. Thanks to all the people who have posted stuff that Iíve been able to modify, use and get ideas from!

Simple ppt on Whose___ Korean explanation

MY ct gave me this Cinderlla ppt using :" Whose shoe______????

The grammer is incorrect in this Cinderella PPT. It should 'whose shoe is it?' or 'whose shoes are they?' Don't mean to be a pain and I understand your CT done it not you.
Stay hungry. Stay foolish. Jobs (2005)

• themoge
  • Adventurer

• August 24, 2013, 02:48:40 pm
Speaking game:
Give each student two small squares of paper.  Each student should choose 2 items from the vocabulary and draw them.  Then, group the students.  In each group, the students put their drawings face down in the middle.  Each student is trying to guess who drew each picture.  If they guess correctly, they take that picture out of the middle and keep it as a point.  The 1st student will choose a picture from the middle, and say "Whose ____ is it?  Is it yours?" as he/she indicates another student in the group.  The other student then says "Yes, it is" or "No, it isn't."  Students should be careful not to let other students see their drawings before the game begins.

I created an animated powerpoint to help explain izus' excellent game idea to my students, and I figured I should share it with everyone. The only difference between his original idea and what I'm doing with my students is that I made it into a team game instead of an individual's game.

This is my first share on waygook, hope you guys like it!  ;D

• Kingeudey
  • Veteran

• December 16, 2010, 08:57:02 am
    • Korea
This game is Jeopardy.  I would use it for earlier portions of lesson 2 because the main focus is asking "Whose ___ is this?" and answering  with "It's ____" blank being a name
Cool game and I love Jeopardy, but a list of the celebrities names would rock.

In response to izus's listening game which I played with my students yesterday here's a ppt I made to explain the game along with a word document of the cards I printed out for the game.  (You could also use the cards in the back of the book but my students often waste a lot of time pulling out the cards and I want to make sure they have those cards for the other games in this lesson).

A simple 4 corners listening game which students loved.

• Renzo1987
  • Adventurer

• August 27, 2013, 10:10:09 am
    • S. Korea, Seoul, Dobonggu, Changdong, Gain-Cho Elementary School
안녕하세요 여러분!  :P
This is for period 2 or 3 of this lesson.
The video at the beginning is "Donald Duck. Three for Breakfast."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcwI4AiPt8E
This is actually a collection of different PPTs from here, but adapted for my class.

• cgcc
  • Explorer

• March 10, 2014, 08:51:38 am
Here's a funny little story my CT passed on to me.
It 's the simplified English version that's going around - my kids are mostly lower than average..

I only had a small amount of time so just read once, with the kids reading the orange text that are the key expressions and repetitive.
There's a comprehension check bit at the end and vocab list if you want to introduce it before reading (just right click slide to unhide it).

Here's what I call "active reading". The Ss read the ppt then clap, jump, scream, spin, or duck depending on the symbol over the word. I borrowed the template from another user, thanks :)

• Zeeto
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2010, 03:37:04 pm
    • Korea
MY C-T made this ppt for K-POP:"Whose Song".

She used it for her 2nd period of her lesson.

My students liked this game last year, so I made an updated version (with a nicer-looking format and a few newer songs).
I may continue to edit it so that there are a few different difficulty levels for each song (so they can hear a little tiny bit first, then a little more, and then the chorus or something).  I'll upload it again if I do.

• barbbui
  • Veteran

• November 02, 2010, 02:15:54 pm
    • korea
Team vs Team Hammer Game. 

You will need  toy hammers or bell,or fly swatter... up to you..

Team face each other .. look at the tv . if they know the sentence  they have to be the first  hit the hammer on the desk.  correct answer = 1 pt for their team. Once finished , they sit down.

note: I used a ppt from this board as a template. 

Simpsons Memory Survival Game- Give 10 seconds to memorise each Simpson's items. In response to each question, everyone chooses a corner, then the people in each corner answer the question eg "Who's book is this?" "It's Lisa's". Reveal the answer and all the people who answered wrongly sit down.

• elleluca
  • Newgookin

• September 04, 2012, 11:49:55 pm
    • Jeju, South Korea
Here are 2 PPTs for Period 4, which focuses on reading. The first is a thorough explanation of "have" vs. "had." The second is a Baskin Robbins 31 reading game with the rules included. Hope these are helpful to someone!

Here's an introductory PPT for the words paintbrush, glue, cute, wonderful, textbook, notebook, gloves, umbrella, watch and shirt. I've been trying to improve my powerpoint skills, so some people might consider it a bit over-elaborate.

I made this PPT for period 5, but I won't get to use it. It's a writing game where students have to find the differences between the Read & Think text.