Read 72987 times

• prada_g
  • Waygookin

• December 20, 2010, 02:51:34 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
Grade 5: Lesson 2: Whose Umbrella Is This? (Frances Sohn)
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »
Hey you guys!

I'm not sure how many of you guys are using this textbook, but it seems quite a few elementary school in Daejeon is using this textbook. Rather than a lesson plan I am uploading a materials I used to compliment this lesson. The first one is a PPT story of a Korean children's story "Whose poo is this?" It gets the students riled up and is a fun way of learning this key expression! Also I will be attaching the song, whose puppy is it?

• prada_g
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon, South Korea
Re: Grade 5: Lesson 2: Whose Umbrella Is This? (Frances Sohn)
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »
This is the song for Whose Puppy Is This and attach is a worksheet for the students. The song link is on the worksheet. There is Korean directions on there to help you out in case your students are lower level students.

• prada_g
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2012, 02:32:57 pm »
This is PPT of some famous Korean celebs. You can ask the students the key expressions with this PPT. I hope this is useful for you.

• prada_g
  • Waygookin

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »
My co-teacher actually added this game to our lesson.  I didn't really get to use it as we were always pressed for time with other activities. But take a look at it and feel free to use it if you're looking for an extra activity on this lesson.

• rockiavelli
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2011, 09:24:35 am
    • Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnamdo, ROK
My students seemed to enjoy this game.  It's a tweak on the game that was in the book this year and the national book last year.

'Whose is it' Guessing game ~25 min

1.  Students are placed in groups of 4.  I numbered the groups.
2.  Each Group/Team will take turns coming to the front of class or standing at their desks.
3.  Each G/T will select one personal item from a member.  I had all the groups select an item at the same time so there was no peeking.
4.  The G/T who starts will prompt the class with “Whose _____ is this?”
5.  The groups seated will respond with  “It is/It's ______'s.”  I required them to have everyone in their group raise their hand before I would count them, and I picked the groups based on how fast they responded to the question.  Then I told them the order they would answer, ie: Group 2 First, Group 4 Second, Group 7 Third.
6.  Points scale
        First guess=3pts
        Second guess=2 pts.
        Third guess=1pt.
        No Correct guessing, the presenting team gets 3 pts.

A couple suggestions:  I have each group count "1,2,3" before they speak that way all of them no when, and that they should, speak.  The kids love these kinds of games, but we have to keep it English heavy to justify it, and getting everyone to speak in their groups is key.  Also, I added a brief explanation of possessive pronouns in the review at the beginning of the class in which we did this exercise, and I had the groups add "It's his/hers."  after they said the student's name.

• ale_cat
  • Newgookin

• March 11, 2012, 03:41:42 pm
    • Incheon
Whose Umbrella Is This? Memory Game!
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2012, 11:48:24 am »
I put this game together for the kids to practice saying:

1) "Whose __ is it"
2) "It's ___'s"

It's a basic memory game - but as you will see when you open it, instead of hiding the items behind a plain coloured card, I've hidden them behind a character.

How to play:

- Each character has an item.
- For the kids to reveal what's behind the character they must say "It's ___'s red glove".
- In order to get the point, the students must name the two characters hiding the same item.

IMPORTANT:
- To preview the item, you must click on the character.
- To remove the character permanently (once the kiddies have guessed correctly), click on the number beside it.

Some kids helped me with the characters, so I'm not familiar with all the character names. In case you don't know who they are talking about, ask them to tell you which number. If they don't know the character, they can also say "It's number 18's red glove".

Note: My co-teacher and I are also characters, in case you're wondering who the random people are...

Enjoy!

• divine
  • Adventurer

• November 19, 2010, 04:55:53 pm
    • Geumsung, Gyeonsanbukdo
Hey guys, 

Please see the attached Youtube video that specifically geared to Personal pronouns.

I believe this video is much better than what's is available in the text.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxrJI_Tna8&feature=related
                 (Video title) Whose puppy is it? ESL for kids Youtube.

Alright ! You have a nice day!

Ciao!

• omgitsmax
  • Adventurer

• April 04, 2011, 01:12:21 am
    • Young-in
Hey guys,

I made an updated version of the "Whose Song is This?" Kpop sound game using new song. I posted it over on the YBM thread but it seems like not as many people use that book. Anyways, here is a link to the post  :D

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,32508.msg235392/topicseen.html#msg235392

• Moerbeie
  • Explorer

• July 07, 2010, 10:51:08 am
    • Bundang, Gyeonggi-do Province
Intro ppt

YuGiOh Review Game - Instructions included  (PowerPoint triggers may not work on Macs)
Office 2010 users, save bomb games as .PPTM
More bomb games - http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,22140.0.html

:D

Thank you SOOOOOoo much for the YuGiOh game my kids are crazy about it!

• Arclight
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 01:01:10 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
Game finally done.  Please vote for me in the Game Competition, if you really like it.  I'm a PowerPoint novice so there was a steep learning curve and a lot of frustration working out the kinks, but I also had a lot of fun making it.  It's still not perfect (not as user-friendly as I would like) but I'll work on improving it and reupload when I do.

Introducing KPOP SQUARES!

This game is based on the popular game show Hollywood Squares.  However, it also incoporates other elements that are typically found in some bomb games.  Essentially, this is not a bomb games.  It's much different.

HOW TO PLAY

There are multiple ways you could play this game:

1. The easiest is to divide the class into 2 teams (i.e. boys vs. girls) and assign each team as either X or O.
2. A more complicated way would be to play the game similar to the game show Hollywood Squares.  Choose 9 students that will represent each of the KPop groups (hint: mix skill levels). Then, divide the rest of the class into 2 teams (X and O).  So, as in the game show, the student repesenting the music group in that square will have to answer the question first and then the X or O team could either agree or disagree.  Research the rules to Hollywood Squares, if you want to play this way.  It's probably easier to just play the first way I describe above.

How to win:

Again, there are multiple ways you could win.  It's really up to you.

1. 1 line of X or O in a row.
2. 2 lines of X or O in a row.
3. Four corners.
4. Four corners + middle square.
5. Full board.

I recommend 2 lines for easiest playability.  If all the squares are taken, and the game is in a stalemate, teams should then try to steal the other team's squares.

TEACHER INSTRUCTIONS

This game is a little complicated in its layout and slide transitions so please follow these instructions carefully.

The first slide has many layers.  I recommend not trying to edit it.  When you open the first slide, you can either begin playing the game right away or preferably, you should click on the left hand banner to begin the animations that will introduce the game rules and the players.

To get to the question slides, click on the picture of the music group in the square.  This will bring you to the main page for that group.  Click once to start the animation and then you can choose from 1 of the 6 questions available for that group by clicking on the number button.  There are 6 for each group because the same square will likely be chosen multiple times.  Once you get to a question slide, proceed with the animation to reveal the answer.  To return to the first slide (the main game board), you must click the title logo of the music group at the top of the slide.

How to place and remove X and O:

- To place an X or O in the square, you must click on the X or O triangle icon in that square.  Important: if you want to remove the X, for example, you must click the X triangle again before replacing it with an O.

Specials:

- On certain question slides, you may see an icon at the bottom of the page.  Once the answer has been revealed, click on the bottom icon to begin the animation and then, click on the music group's logo at the top to return to the main page.

1. Double Combo = Your team gets an extra turn and can choose another square. So, essentially, the other team misses a turn.
2. Big Bang Bomb = Bombs are good in this game.  If you get a bomb, you can remove 1 square from the opposing team (but NOT steal - just remove)
3. B2ST Shock = 1 square becomes under quarantine for 1 turn. The team that gets the B2ST Shock can choose which square.  This means neither team can choose this square for 1 turn.

To activate the quarantine, simply click on the yellow quarantine icon in that square.  To remove it, click on that icon again.

Known issues:

This game could be more user-friendly, I admit.  I'm working on resolutions.

1. 54 questions!  That's a lot of questions!  This is based on the number of times it is anticipated that single squares may be chosen multiple times.  You do not need to have so many questions if you do not want to.  I recommend that you have 3 available for each music group though (bringing the number down to 27 questions).

2. On the special question slides, there is a animated layer covering the question. Therefore, in order to edit the question, you must first move the layer and then move it back into position once you're done.  I am trying to solve this problem by moving this layer to a different slide but I'm running into problems because the game board seems to reset (all placed X and Os disappear) when I try it this way.  I'll keep working on it.

3. And probably the biggest problem right now is related to the 6 questions for each group.  The problem is that if you accidently choose the same question twice, and then return to the main page, the game board will reset (all previously placed X, Os, and Quarantines will disappear).  This is a major problem.  I'm working on a solution on how to make the number disappear after it's been chosen to eliminate this problem.  I'm having difficulty with it though.  For now, the best solution I have is for the teacher to keep a running tally of which questions have been chosen already.  I have included a tally sheet that you can use to keep track.  It might also be a good idea to keep a track of the positions of the X and Os as the game progresses, just in case the board resets.  This should only happen if you choose the same question twice, though.  I'm working on a solution for this.

So, the game still needs a little work to make it a little more user-friendly.  I'll keep trying to improve it.  I'm still a PowerPoint novice, but I'm studying on how to improve.  Thanks to Daejeon and Sprite, whose awesome games gave me the inspiration to start creating my own. 

I have more games under development so stay tuned for more from me.  Trying to find alternatives to bomb games.  Drawing a lot of inspiration from game shows and board games.  I think my next project will likely be RISK.   Comments and votes in this competition are very much appreciated. 

I hope your kids will enjoy this game as much as mine did.  If you have any questions or problems with the game, please PM me and I will try my best to solve them.  Cheers.

Sample screenshot:

• Sunnas
  • Adventurer

• May 10, 2010, 08:50:16 pm
    • South Korea
Here are some things I made for this Chapter.  Doing the Speak and Play activity in the textbook was confusing so I made a step by step ppt and changed some parts to make it more user friendly.  It worked pretty well.  If you have a time limit I suggest that you give the students the Bingo sheets with names already typed in and only make them add the objects.

• Sunnas
  • Adventurer

• May 10, 2010, 08:50:16 pm
    • South Korea
The kids love this song.  I used it for this chapter.  "Whose puppy is it? ESL for kids."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxrJI_Tna8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
This is a practice activity. It works best after presenting the target language in the lesson.

First ask the class as a whole who each character is (this is important because, as it turns out, a lot of Korean kids can't name Bart Simpson or Bugs Bunny). Then show the individual items and ask, "Whose frying pan is this?" etc. I find it works best if you get students to raise their hands if they want to answer.

You can award them for correctly answering if you want. I gave my students 'good job' stamps.

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
This is a bomb game I wrote for this lesson. It works well because each student is privy to information that nobody else is, which they tend to enjoy.

First of all, you need to copy and paste the images use for the answer slides to make flashcards (I didn't have time to do this). You need a different flash card for each student. If you have more students than answer images, just search for images of famous characters holding items and use this (yes, this is a little unfair as it means some students have flashcards that are not used in the game, but they don't need to know that).

Divide the class into two groups (I went by girls and boys). Each group takes it in turns to pick a letter. Show the linked question slide and loudly ask, "Whose...is this?". The student who has the corresponding answer flashcard raises their hand and says, "It's Jjangu's bottle," or whatever the correct answer is.

Please note, slide 28 is a personal picture I used because it gets a great reaction from my kids. Obviously you'll need to change this as your students don't know who I am.

Here is a review worksheet for the first two lessons.

• tweety11226
  • Adventurer

• August 04, 2011, 12:41:12 am
    • South Korea, Daegu
Here are some materials and videos  :P

• Roblee
  • Explorer

• May 29, 2012, 06:18:14 am
    • South Korea
Our class is divided into 6 teams and we had 6 little marker boards. We gave each team a marker board and a marker. Then I collected 2 items from each team and put it in a basket. Then we would have a team choose 1 item. They asked the class, "Whose ___ is this?" The rest of the class had to find out which team the item came from. Then I would ask the class, "Whose ____ is this?" and whoever it belonged to had to say, "It's mine."

• jds.27
  • Explorer

• May 25, 2011, 08:15:34 am
    • Geochang, South Korea
Just an introduction to a few useful expressions, hope it helps  :)

• Kate2627
  • Newgookin

• November 08, 2011, 01:19:44 pm
    • suwon
Hope it help

• sylv_sa
  • Adventurer

• March 30, 2011, 02:10:26 pm
    • Jeju Island
PPt is used for the 2nd period and also 3rd period as well as a snakes ad ladders game, enjoy!

MOD EDIT:
sylva_sa, this game was already posted in the national curriculum thread so I am removing your attachment. Also when you post materials that are not created by you, it's best to say, that you did not create it especially if you do not know who to give credit to.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:20:04 am by travelinpantsgirl »