Read 2194 times

• obnavox3
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm
    • South Korea
(GEPIK)Vacation after contract expires, special case
« on: February 27, 2012, 08:44:26 am »
So I am finishing up my 2nd year teaching in Korea.  I'm GEPIK.  When I had my VISA renewed last year, they gave me an extra month for whatever reason.  So although my contract finishes April 5th, my VISA expires May 5th.

I know that in the contract it says I have to leave Korea within 10 days so that the school would reimburse me for my flight.  Since my ViSA is good for another month, is there really any reason contractually that I couldn't fly off to Thailand from say, April 6th-14th, and then use a separate direct economy ticket, one way back to 'merica?

I couldn't find anything in the contract that says I couldn't do that.  It just stipulates that one must leave Korea within 10 days to be reimbursed for the flight.  What do you guys think?  My coteacher isn't here today but I might call her to make sure.

• annekat
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2011, 07:56:08 am
    • Osan, Gyeonggi-do
Re: (GEPIK)Vacation after contract expires, special case
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:34:37 am »
I'm no expert on the fine details of the contract.. But I believe that as long as your flight from Korea is within the 10 days you are OK and they should pay it.
__You can't make footprints in the sands of time by sitting on your butt__
and who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time???

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:18 am »
I'm pretty sure that falls under the category of "theoretically fine, but completely untested." As far as your school is concerned, it's not really any different than staying in Korea an extra ten days to get your affairs in order. Because what you're proposing is basically without (acknowledged) precedent, your school may need some convincing, or they may not care at all. Good luck!

• obnavox3
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2010, 01:48:52 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:01:05 am »
Yeah thanks that's what I figured as well.  I have a friend that's doing the same thing.  They gave him an extra month on his VISA when he renewed as well.  Perhaps the Suwon Immigration Office got tired of having waygooken coming to get 1 week extensions on their VISAs just to match their flights home. 

• jrwhite82
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 04:29:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
A word to the wise.  DO NOT tell your school you are going to Thailand.  Tell them you will be leaving Korea 9 or 10 days after contract completion.  (Not a lie because you will be returning to Korea from Thailand before moving on to your home country)  Provide them with the receipt and boarding pass from your one way ticket when you use it and get your money back. 

Don't risk opening up a can of worms with this.  Although, you should be fine, you never know what kind of nonsense can happen here with sudden rule changes and all the red tape and bureaucracy our coteachers and pay administrators have to wade through.  Keep it simple for everyone involved.  The only worry is getting yourself quarantined in Incheon when you land.  Don't visit any farms while you are there. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:03:56 pm by jrwhite82 »

• Leez
  • Adventurer

• May 11, 2011, 11:08:58 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:49 am »
When I was at a GEPIK conference someone asked about doing something like that. The then head of GEPIK said that the flight money would only be reimbursed for a flight from South Korea back to your home country.

So not sure, maybe you can still find someone who has managed to do it?   

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:19 am »
When I was at a GEPIK conference someone asked about doing something like that. The then head of GEPIK said that the flight money would only be reimbursed for a flight from South Korea back to your home country.

From that answer, it sounds like obnavox will be just fine.

• jrwhite82
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 04:29:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:38 am »

Right.  The OP cannot ask the school to pay for his ticket to Thailand.  He can ask that they pay for his ticket from Korea to his home country only.  So if his contract ends on April 6th and he goes to Thailand on the 7th.  Then returns to Korea on the 14th and moves on to his home country with a one way ticket reimbursed by the school on the 14th or 15th, that is only 9 days since contract completion.  So you SHOULD be fine.  Unless you miss your flight or there is some unforseen delay which prevents you from flying out of Korea less than 10 days after contract completion.