Read 2893 times

• busangaz
  • Adventurer

• August 28, 2010, 06:29:32 pm
    • Busan
Fun and exciting lesson for unmotivated 3rd Graders?
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:13:21 am »
Hey,

I need to come up wit a lesson that is gonna keep my 3rd graders awake. Something exciting, something dynamite! As they are finished exams, my head teacher has giving me creative freedom on topics. I have recently done 'Animation' , 'Optical Illusions' and 'Konglish'. These kept them interested and awake.

Is there any other lesson plan ideas out there I should try?

Re: Fun and exciting lesson for unmotivated 3rd Graders?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
Zombies went over pretty well for me. My students are really enjoying snowflakes this week... but they take a long time (more like 55 mins for some students) and require a lot of paper, tape and scissors. I also teach only girls.

My students are always up for a game of Taboo :D.

• Kaypea
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 10:02:54 am
    • Goyang, Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »
Hmm... there's a game I do that we just call "speed quiz"

You just make a PPT with a different picture each slide, and the English word of what it is.  Make sure both are BIG.

Put students into teams of about 4-6.  Let 1 or 2 students stand and face the screen.  The other teammates must sit in chairs with their backs to the screen.  The students who can see the screen give clues, in English.  The students who can't see must guess.

Let each team do one round of 2 minutes, then have another round or two of one minutes, plus tiebreakers if you need to.

The rules:

No Korean
The other kids not playing can't give clues (I mean, they would be stupid to give the other teams clues, but in some classes they will anyway and it kind of ruins the game, so it's a rule)
Gestures, sounds, and singing are ok, but not pointing (eg if there's a picture of a window, they can't point at the window... but if it's a picture of the Wondergirls, they can sing "Nobody")

I've attached a PPT, but you're going to wanna add at least twice as many slides (I prepared this for a lunchtime game thingie, but for a real class it should be twice as long)

Have fun!

• busangaz
  • Adventurer

• August 28, 2010, 06:29:32 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:09:20 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.

I regularly do the "Speed Quiz", but wouldn't want to knock more than 10 mins out of it.
I just noticed a lesson plan on "Extreme sports" and that could be just up my alley. Something exciting and interesting like this is just what my 3rd graders need...

• Kaypea
  • Veteran

• September 13, 2010, 10:02:54 am
    • Goyang, Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 08:57:33 am »
Wow, we've done whole periods of "speed quiz" (well, only once... several months ago, so I can probably do another round)... I dunno, I think our students could do it for hours.  It's good for entertainment only classes.