Read 2706 times

• mtaylor
  • Newgookin

• February 05, 2012, 06:40:13 pm
    • Ulsan
Quick Survey for Foreign Teachers
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:37:04 pm »
Hey folks,
I had already posted this last week, but I am still trying to gather a few more results. I am currently taking a social research methods course, and I thought I would look at some cultural experiences common to English teachers in Korea (specifically regarding footwear and Korean customs surrounding footwear).
I have created a very short survey, and would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to help me out and answer a few questions about your experiences as a foreign teacher in Korea.

Here's the link to the survey:

http://app.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/matthew-9/sosc-366-survey/   

All responses will remain strictly anonymous.

Thanks.

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2011, 02:09:18 pm
    • Jinju, Gyeongsamnam-do South Korea
Re: Quick Survey for Foreign Teachers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:25:18 am »
Quick, easy, and completed in 90 seconds.
Now posting to make a bump for ya, buddy. :D
"Our doubts are traitors,
And makes us lose the good we oft might win,
By fearing to attempt." - Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

• Ben-Ja-Meen
  • Veteran

• December 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm
    • Seoul (Dongdaemun Area)
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:00:28 pm »
I can think of dozens of other cultural experiences foreign English teachers have in Korea that are far more interesting than footwear.  I'm not trying to be critical (I completed your survey).  I'm just curious why you're interested in footwear of all things? :) 

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:34:07 am »
Well, I did have a fascination with the footwear phenomena here. In comparison to the US and Australia, Korea is very particular in footwear. I think what's more fascinating are when there are odd exceptions to the shower shoe rule.

For example, one is expected to wear shower shoes in one's own wet room/bathroom as well as a motel/hotel's wet room. Yet, there are no (shower*) shoes provided at the gyms to use to shower. Nor have I ever seen any ajushis wearing footwear at the saunas. It is the gym and sauna, however, where I think one is most likely to accidentally pick up athlete's foot or another fungal variant.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:42:37 pm »
Hmm that is pretty interesting. But then ajushis  get to do what they like so I guess no-one questions them over it.

I'll admit the shoe thing doesn't bother me, but I desperately need to buy my own 'slippers' for school because the other ones are very open and my feet are getting cold in school.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »
Very interesting survey. I come from a part of the USA where it's pretty obligatory to take off your shoes when entering a house, so that never fazed me. As for the bathroom shoes, I always assumed it was purely practical, in order to keep from slipping on the wet shower floor? Now I want to know the real background!
"Don't Panic"

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:37:01 pm »
Very interesting survey. I come from a part of the USA where it's pretty obligatory to take off your shoes when entering a house, so that never fazed me. As for the bathroom shoes, I always assumed it was purely practical, in order to keep from slipping on the wet shower floor? Now I want to know the real background!

So your socks don't get wet.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:40:23 pm »
Hmm that is pretty interesting. But then ajushis  get to do what they like so I guess no-one questions them over it.

I'll admit the shoe thing doesn't bother me, but I desperately need to buy my own 'slippers' for school because the other ones are very open and my feet are getting cold in school.

Go all out and get moccasins.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:08 am »
The survey is no longer available, but I tried!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:48 am »

Me too Kaylynn
Hope all is well at your school :)

Karina

• jessicateacher
  • Adventurer

• September 08, 2010, 10:51:50 am
    • Busan, South Korea
    more
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 01:04:01 pm »
 . . . .just so you know. You're not supposed to shower With the bathroom slippers on. . . . .it's just so your feet/ socks dont get wet cause the bathroom is usually wet.

Maybe I mis-read the survey takers post.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 02:22:21 pm »

Haha, I've just done exactly the same.

• wtoddm
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:29 am »
. . . .just so you know. You're not supposed to shower With the bathroom slippers on. . . . .it's just so your feet/ socks dont get wet cause the bathroom is usually wet.

:o

But the tiles are so cold!! I LOATHE the cold... so... it just seemed like a no-brainer to me to use the shower shoes in the shower. lol. Just learned a bit about myself.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:43:07 am »

:o

But the tiles are so cold!! I LOATHE the cold... so... it just seemed like a no-brainer to me to use the shower shoes in the shower. lol. Just learned a bit about myself.

Spray the floor with extra-hot water before you shower.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.