Read 5361 times

• Jugazza
  • Waygookin

• March 28, 2011, 07:00:19 pm
    • Seoul
DSLR shopping in Yongsan. Advice please.
« on: February 10, 2012, 08:36:08 am »
I've decided to splash out on a DSLR this Saturday. With the research I've done to date I've more or less settled on a:

Canon EOS 450D - which appears to be a competent, no frills body that comes at a reasonable price
EF-S 18-135mm lens - which I understand to be a decent if unspectacular zoom lens, and seems ideal for my purposes and experience to date

Yongsan being Yongsan I should go in with the attitude to get the best deal possible. What price do you think I should push for?

500 - 700k with a memory card and the usual assortment of extras thrown in?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: DSLR shopping in Yongsan. Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:41:18 am »
Way less than that. The 450D is on 'old' model now and they are already on the 600D. If you want to spend that amount, I am sure you can get a 550D which is a far superior camera retaining the user friendliness of the 450D.

Good luck.

PS, there is nothing wrong with the 450D, but the 550D is great and it has liveview in all modes, unlike the 450D which only has it in some.  Liveview is not essential, but sometimes it is handy to have.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:05 am »
You would probably get a better deal on all of those in Namdaemun.  There's a row of camera stores on the road that leads up past Namdaemun from Myeongdong.  I would try there first.  I recommend Hyosung camera (효성 카메라).

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 08:46:57 am »
take a korean friend with you.
getting a good price in yongsan will be hard if you can't speak korean.
Even the koreans have hard time bartering the price.
if you cant take any koreans with you,
my best advice would be to print out all the prices shown in the internet just so that you can make them aware that you know what the lowest price in the internet is (and the price in yongsan should be cheaper than the internet).

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:01 am »
Sent you a PM

• Jugazza
  • Waygookin

• March 28, 2011, 07:00:19 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:07 am »
Thanks for the advice.

I've had a look on a few Korean websites to check prices. It appears as though the 450D body is priced at around 300k, and the 18-135mm lens goes for around 330k. Do these prices seem competitive?

With that in mind is the hope of getting both for 500k too optimistic?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:56:59 am »
330,000 is a good price for that lens. Just make sure it has an IS function as well as the AF and not a model that just has AF.  The ones that just have AF function are usually el cheapos unless of course you are buying a prime lens.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:49:24 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

I've had a look on a few Korean websites to check prices. It appears as though the 450D body is priced at around 300k, and the 18-135mm lens goes for around 330k. Do these prices seem competitive?

With that in mind is the hope of getting both for 500k too optimistic?

not to discourage you op,
but with that price, the best value is the samsung nx series.. just fyi.
but of course its Canon which you want to get ;)

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 06:26:10 pm »
I'm not sure why, but Nikons here are much cheaper than Canons. But contrary to another poster, you better to stick to one of these brands if you want to invest in/borrow from a friend really cool lenses later on the road.

I second Namdaemun suggestion. I think they're overhead charge is less so they're more willing to give you a better deal. Just make sure you bring cash.

Avoid Yongsan kiosks at all costs!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:32:11 pm »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this kind of experience.
see http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,9250.msg228475.html#msg228475

Maybe I'm one of the few to have courage to talk about it, as it is extremely embarrassing for someone with sales experience in electronics to have been taken this badly!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:45:00 pm »
My advice is to not shop at Yongsan.

Go to Namdaemun.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 02:48:06 pm »
I go my 550D from this place: http://www.yesdica.co.kr/ in Namdaemoon (I think? - that place that's like one big crazy market?) for 700,000ish a year ago. It came with the kit lens and bag and some other extras.

Like someone else said, If you have 700,000 to spend then def go for a newer model. The 550D is good because it takes SD cards and a battery that lasts forever, whereas the 450 has those old school memory cards and a much older style of battery. Also liveview! and, HD filming abilities!

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »
I go my 550D from this place: http://www.yesdica.co.kr/ in Namdaemoon (I think? - that place that's like one big crazy market?) for 700,000ish a year ago. It came with the kit lens and bag and some other extras.

Like someone else said, If you have 700,000 to spend then def go for a newer model. The 550D is good because it takes SD cards and a battery that lasts forever, whereas the 450 has those old school memory cards and a much older style of battery. Also liveview! and, HD filming abilities!

450 uses SD.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:46 pm »

I used this store too. Best price on the street. Kinda annoyed me because all the prices were the same almost. They don't budge because they seemed to know that the other stores wouldn't budge. Maybe I just have to be more direct in future.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Wigfield
  • Adventurer

• September 26, 2010, 03:23:00 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:17 am »
You would probably get a better deal on all of those in Namdaemun.  There's a row of camera stores on the road that leads up past Namdaemun from Myeongdong.  I would try there first.  I recommend Hyosung camera (효성 카메라).

Yeah, my wife and I went to that area for our camera and we took a photographer friend with us to advise us on our purchase. I can't remember the exact shop we went into, however.

Yongsan is a bit too mad for my liking. I prefer not to be hassled when I'm shopping.

• CellarDoor
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• February 22, 2011, 04:25:08 pm
    • Tennessee, USA or Korea
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:16:22 am »

Yeah, my wife and I went to that area for our camera and we took a photographer friend with us to advise us on our purchase. I can't remember the exact shop we went into, however.

Yongsan is a bit too mad for my liking. I prefer not to be hassled when I'm shopping.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Namdaenmun sounds way better than Yongsan (I've been there with friends who bought cameras...).  Were you glad you had your camera expert friend along when you got to Namdaemun?  I'm trying to figure out if I should try to bring someone along with me or just try to do the research myself and then go shopping... I'm a photography novice though. ;)