Read 1605 times

• Jugazza
  • Waygookin

• March 28, 2011, 07:00:19 pm
    • Seoul
Airfare quandary.
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »
With my contract now within 4 weeks of completion I'm now looking into booking my flight home to Ireland. I had hoped to stop over for a week in Dubai to visit family en route.

My school have informed me that the cost of airfare must be to your home country only, as I'm sure many of you are aware. And I totally understand why such a policy is in place. It's not within the public school board's interests to be funding the adventures of native speaking teachers around the globe, etc.

What I want to know is if there are any way to manipulate the system here? I've called a few ticket websites trying to find an angle on this but to no avail. I've considered booking the ticket, getting reimbursed for it, and then canceling the said ticket in order to make an alternative route home. This isn't possible either apparently. Cancellation of a ticket is rarely refunded by an airline as far as I can tell.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions here? Or should I just accept that being flown home is a hugely generous offer and one I should be grateful of?

As ever, any help would just about make my day.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Airfare quandary.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »
Are you EPIK, GEPIK, or what?  What does your contract say?

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:27:21 pm »
Book a ticket that is easy to cancel, re-arrange. Print off ticket. Give printout to school. Cancel/rearrange ticket. You have the appropriate amount of money in the bank to get home and the school has a copy of "you ticket home" for its books. Win win?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• jrwhite82
  • Super Waygook

• September 09, 2010, 04:29:15 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 07:32:08 pm »
For GEPIK it has been a policy for at least the last two years to only reimburse a ticket from Korea to your home airport. 

My coteacher also said that according to the almighty handbook, I had to scan and email a copy of my boarding pass too.  And we got along famously, so it had nothing to do with them not trusting me or anything. 

• Jugazza
  • Waygookin

• March 28, 2011, 07:00:19 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 07:35:12 pm »
Sorry, I should have mentioned. GEPIK.

And the contract states reimbursement of a ticket must be your home country only. But I have heard of school's making exceptions to policies of a similar nature.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:34:22 am »
Why don't you ask your school? I've never heard of a school changing, but you could ask them. You could also ask them if they would reimburse you for the cost of a ticket directly home, and you pay the difference to stop elsewhere.

• JABU NXAU
  • Veteran

• June 03, 2011, 06:20:35 pm
    • KOREA
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:21 am »
if there is no direct flight to Ireland then you can travel with emirates and have a stopover in Dubai on your way to Ireland this is possible because that is what I did on my way to South Africa.
do your best always!

• gmdietrich
  • Explorer

• May 18, 2011, 03:09:37 pm
    • Uijengbu, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 10:48:25 am »
Did you ever find a way to trick the system??