Read 3363 times

• nicki77
  • Waygookin

• October 25, 2010, 12:11:08 pm
    • Gumi, South Korea
Special six month contract situation: need help!
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:47:18 pm »
Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if this question has been asked and I haven't found it but I think I'm in a pretty unique situation. I was hired by the Gumi Office of Education for a special, one-off, 6 month contract. Essentially, I have the exact same contract as EPIKers do, only it's 6 months in duration. I am confused about a few things. First, is severance pay. When I applied for this position, my recruiter had told me specifically that upon completion of our 6 month contracts, we would receive severance pay equivalent to approximately one months' salary. In my contract, is has the same line as EPIK "the employee shall be entitled to severance pay according to the standard formula set out by the Ministry of Labour (equivalent to approximately one month's salary), upon successful completion of the duties for the entire Term of Employment set out after the Renewal Contract." --> How does that apply to me? I've tried to ask other people in the know, including my co-teacher and recruiter, but they just think it's an oversight and I'm not entitled to anything. It is a lot of money if I am entitled to it, or even a portion of it and I'm very unclear of my rights. Could anyone help me out? Thanks.

• fmlaugust
  • Adventurer

• September 01, 2009, 08:36:17 am
    • pohang
Re: Special six month contract situation: need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 07:58:05 pm »
I don't think you are entitled to the severance for the 6 month contract. Every contract I've signed is for a 1 year and the severance at the end.  Now if you renew for another 6 months then you would have been here for a year, and you will receive the severance.  That could be it. I've never hear of anyone working for 6 months on an EPIK contract and getting the 1 month severance.  Sorry I couldn't be of better help.

• nicki77
  • Waygookin

• October 25, 2010, 12:11:08 pm
    • Gumi, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 12:20:04 pm »
Thanks for the input, so does that mean that severance in Korea is all or nothing? You must complete one year of employment with one employer before you're entitled to it?

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:18:44 am »
You should get a severance...only it'll be pro-rated :( I extended my contract back in August for only 4 months and I was told that I'll still get a full exit allowance, pension, and a severance pay.  Hope this helps!

• negacoca
  • Veteran

• October 04, 2010, 12:10:33 pm
    • Hwaseong, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:38 pm »
I have a question for people who have renewed their contract for less than a year.  I want to my contract for sixth months.  I started teaching last August with a plan to either stay 1 or 2 years, but now I find that I really don't want to leave in the middle of the school year.  I want to finish out this school year, then leave.  When I first proposed this to my co-teacher, she said that GEPIK contracts are for one year, and so I cannot renew for half a year.  I told her that I would need a special contract, and that other native teachers have gotten special contracts to renew half a year.  She asked me to find out about that.  Does anyone have information on how your school can make a special contract?

• tfuller
  • Super Waygook

• September 13, 2010, 10:24:46 am
    • Yongsan, Chungbuk
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »
Thanks for the input, so does that mean that severance in Korea is all or nothing? You must complete one year of employment with one employer before you're entitled to it?

I thought that was the case, but when i asked for severance pay this month they gave me an extra 1.5mil... that being for the 8 month contract i had before i finished this one in Feb.
They said Koreans on contract get a pro-rated pay, and they were kind enough to do the same for me even though it wasn't in the contract!  :)

• andygarth
  • Adventurer

• September 20, 2010, 11:07:26 am
    • Seocheon
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »
I have a question for people who have renewed their contract for less than a year.  I want to my contract for sixth months.  I started teaching last August with a plan to either stay 1 or 2 years, but now I find that I really don't want to leave in the middle of the school year.  I want to finish out this school year, then leave.  When I first proposed this to my co-teacher, she said that GEPIK contracts are for one year, and so I cannot renew for half a year.  I told her that I would need a special contract, and that other native teachers have gotten special contracts to renew half a year.  She asked me to find out about that.  Does anyone have information on how your school can make a special contract?

I asked my coordinator about doing the same thing, a 6 month contract to finish the year (my school and I both want it). She said EPIK doesnt do those, and that if i wanted a 6 month contract, that was completely between me in the principal. That being said, she didnt sound too hopeful about it all.

Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 12:10:45 am »
I have been in this situation when I renewed a contract for an additional 3 months, you get the severance pro rata.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:27:52 am »
I would suggest you ask your school or recruiter to verify that instead of asking us.  All we can do is speculate.  Ask the school or coordinator because as I understand if, you get severance after a year  But again, none of us are experts, ask the recruiter or whoever you have the contract with to be sure.

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry if this question has been asked and I haven't found it but I think I'm in a pretty unique situation. I was hired by the Gumi Office of Education for a special, one-off, 6 month contract. Essentially, I have the exact same contract as EPIKers do, only it's 6 months in duration. I am confused about a few things. First, is severance pay. When I applied for this position, my recruiter had told me specifically that upon completion of our 6 month contracts, we would receive severance pay equivalent to approximately one months' salary. In my contract, is has the same line as EPIK "the employee shall be entitled to severance pay according to the standard formula set out by the Ministry of Labour (equivalent to approximately one month's salary), upon successful completion of the duties for the entire Term of Employment set out after the Renewal Contract." --> How does that apply to me? I've tried to ask other people in the know, including my co-teacher and recruiter, but they just think it's an oversight and I'm not entitled to anything. It is a lot of money if I am entitled to it, or even a portion of it and I'm very unclear of my rights. Could anyone help me out? Thanks.