Read 1820 times

Driving in Korea
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »
I have a driver's license back in Canada but I'm not sure if I want to get a driver's license in Korea, how to go about this process?

Does my license in Canada allow me to simply transfer / convert it to Korean driver's license or do I basically have to start from scratch and take all the tests here?

Also, where do I go to get this done?  I mean, what is "Ministry of Transportation" in Korean called?  I'm guessing that's where I need to go.
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
Re: Driving in Korea
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 03:05:12 pm »
I'm American and had to take the best konglish test ever! If you don't have an international license then you need to take a test.  I don't think you have to road test.  It wasn't hard expect trying to figured out what they were asking. 
Find out when they offer it and go take it.  I never got a book but you might want too.  GL
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »
I have a driver's license back in Canada but I'm not sure if I want to get a driver's license in Korea, how to go about this process?

Does my license in Canada allow me to simply transfer / convert it to Korean driver's license or do I basically have to start from scratch and take all the tests here?

Also, where do I go to get this done?  I mean, what is "Ministry of Transportation" in Korean called?  I'm guessing that's where I need to go.

There are some threads on here about this subject.  I am from America so my process is different.  I am pretty sure you do need to do a lot of the same things though.  For Americans we have to have a valid and current driver's license.  Next you need to get said license notarized at the US Embassy.  After getting a notarized license you take the paperwork to a drivers license center.  There is a nice one in Gangnam not far from COEX.  Once there they'll scrutinize your documents for awhile then make you do an eye test.  Then an exam on the computer.  It's a little difficult, but not too bad.  After that you'll have your license and the added stress of driving in a country that doesn't give a flying eff about rules and laws.

Have fun.  Driving here is always an adventure.

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:12 pm »
If you have a British Licence all you have to do is go to the driving test centre, pay about W10000 to W12000 do an eye test and have a coffee while they make your nice shiny korean driving licence, you might be able to squeeze in a cigarette in this time if you smoke but will have to do it out side the building with the rest of the men :)
well thats what I did anyway

• yeti08
  • Super Waygook

• July 03, 2011, 12:58:29 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:08 pm »
I'm American and had to take the best konglish test ever! If you don't have an international license then you need to take a test.  I don't think you have to road test.  It wasn't hard expect trying to figured out what they were asking. 
Find out when they offer it and go take it.  I never got a book but you might want too.  GL

They don't give you a book, it's a DVD with A TON of information.  My wife bought it for me and hovered over me as I "studied".  The test is a bit confusing, but it's passable without studying if you have common sense.  I am pretty sure I remember a Canadian saying they don't need their license notarized because Canada doesn't make Koreans jump through as many hoops as America does.  Because America, the land of red tape, Korea makes Americans do the rat race.... ::)

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:37:15 pm »
Because America, the land of red tape, Korea makes Americans do the rat race
lol!

If that were the case I (British) would be allowed to walk into Korea and they would give me a license at the entrance; as we let anyone into the Great Britain! In reality the hoops you have to jump through are bonkers!
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• Danihel
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:40:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:51 am »
I've heard a lot of people can just get away without a license (inability of cops to speak English + hassle of pulling over a foreigner), especially with motorcycles.  Was considering getting a bike here, but seeing how people drive, it's even more of a death sentence than it is back home. To counter the non license statement, I've heard high "crime rates" for foreigners comes from driving without a license, but I feel tons of people easily pull it off. Depends what country you're from, but from what I've heard acquiring an international drivers license (from your home country)  is not a big deal to get.