Read 1298 times

• relj
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 12:09:11 pm
    • Seoul
SMOE Renewal Question
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:51:06 am »
Hey all,

I would like to renew my contract with SMOE (Middle School), but would like to stay on for only six months, not the full year. My current contract ends in August, so a hypothetical six-month renewal would take me to the end of February next year (I guess I would end with the end of the upcoming school year). I am on fairly good terms with everyone at my school, but there is nothing in our contracts that seems to cover resigning for less than a full year.
I'd like to talk to my co-teachers about this when they get back from vacation, but am afraid that it's...rude or something to not want to stay the full 12 months. I also don't like the idea of breaking my contract and leaving the school high and dry come next March.
Any advice on how I should go about this / what I can expect would be greatly appreciated!

• iggyb
  • Super Waygook

• November 12, 2010, 10:17:07 am
    • Gapyeong
Re: SMOE Renewal Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:15:51 am »
I knew a few FTs who renewed for only 6 months under SMOE, but that was at a special institute they have for teaching Korean teachers. 

I don't think the school will feel it is rude to ask.  There seems to be two big hiring periods in the public schools - each near the start of a new semester.  So, bringing in a new teacher in the middle of a school year doesn't seem to be unusual.  I'd just ask.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:04:42 am »
Smoe has been quite clear on thier 6 month contracts position, the will not under ANY circumstances grant one any longer.

Yor only recourse is to talk to your school and say that you will sign a one year contract, but that you will be quitting it after 6 month, and that you will let smoe know on the 5th month ( as you are legally supposed to do) so they can find your replacement.

Of course this way you do forfeit a back some of your 2 million won resiging bonus, and I think its part of your airfare as well, not sure, check your contract.

But there is no harm no foul on your severance because if you work longer than 12 month they owe you pro rated for the portions of additional years that you work ( thats in Korean Immigration law)

• amoonbot
  • Veteran

• November 15, 2010, 08:59:54 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 02:34:00 am »
It won't be that big of a deal. You'll still get severance, pension, and all that good stuff. You do have to give back 700,000 WON of the original 2,000,000 WON renewal money. If you're on good terms with the school, I think they'll be understanding. SMOE is cutting back on a lot of their NETs, so it won't be that big of a deal. Just make sure you give them enough notice before your departure date.