Read 2945 times

• Lala07
  • Waygookin

• October 13, 2011, 11:36:05 am
    • Korea
10 month contract?
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »
Hi! I will be complete my first year teaching here at a public elementary school by mid October and will renew for another year. I have heard of schools letting their teachers sign a six month contract but I was wondering if anyone has ever done or heard of a ten month contract? Since my contract ends at a weird time, after the second semester already starts, I would like to leave by mid August instead so that way my school would be able to find a new teacher before the new semester starts and I would be able to leave a little earlier. =) Does anybody know about resigning with less than a full 12-month contract? Would I still get the benefits of renewing such as extra vacation and the bonus? If anybody knows anything I would really appreciate the info! Thank you!!!

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
Re: 10 month contract?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:19:54 pm »
If this was hagwon it would be doable.  If six months I can see with public school.  Public school operate on a sort of six month cycle.  Your 10 month plan will not really work out.  Plus asking for the extras makes you more of a loss.  If you where willing to give up you could negotiate. 
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »
The school works on 6 month intervals but your CONTRACT does not.  Personally, I have never heard of public school, 6 month contracts.  Correct me if I am wrong, but they only way that could happen is if you sign the new contract from the MOE and that it says 10 moths.  Otherwise, you can put in the two-months or stick out the contract for the benefits. 

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 06:17:44 pm »
Re-sign with your school on a year's contract and quit after 10 months. That's what I just did with their agreement. No flight money but I'm getting my severance pro-rated so I'm happy with that.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• jrod86
  • Waygookin

• June 07, 2010, 01:24:49 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 01:18:36 am »
I was in a similar situation to yours. I started in December. When I renewed my contract I wasn't even given the option of a full year and signed an 8 month contract  that would have me finish at the end of August ( as did the other 4 teachers who started at the same time) . Vacation and severance were both pro-rated for 8 months. You should be able to as it is easier to have a new teacher start at the beginning of the semester.

• Deesh
  • Super Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 02:22:10 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:13 am »
Try talking to your school about it, and if they don't agree then maybe contact your district co-ordinator. It makes things easier for the education offices to have all NET contracts uniformed and starting at the same time, so they might support your idea and mediate with the school on your behalf.

I just renewed in June, it was actually written into my contract that the school can terminate my contract in February should new NET funds not be available then. So it is definitely possible to leave after less than 12 months without it getting complicated.

Just be very careful with your wording of any dialogue you have with either your school or the education office - you don't want to give the impression you'd walk out on them if you don't get your way.

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »
To my knowledge, an E2 Visa contract can legally only be 12 months. If it's less than 12, then my first assumption is someone is cutting corners to not pay the severance or airfare. However, if your school really likes you and they will still pay the severance even though you only complete 10 months, then go for it, but I've never heard of or read of a legal contract less than 12 months, and I've been in Korea for 5 years.
If you teach a class that has all special needs kids with only the physical ability to move their hands up and down, then you'll be fired because they all gave you checks instead of circles.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:44:29 pm »
If he is renewing with a school then a contract of 10 months is legally doable.    People have signed contracts for a couple of weeks to keep legal when extending with a school for a short time.

If starting from scratch,  as to 12 months, do not know.  Yet I have heard of people who have signed 11 month contract and have got E-2 visas.

Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• Lala07
  • Waygookin

• Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 09:10:06 am »
Thank you guys! I have an  F4 visa so my school and my contract don't have anything to do with my visa situation. After ten months, my contract would end on August 14th so how would summer vacation and camp work out? Should I just give up my eight days of summer vacation to go home? What would be a good negotiation on the resigning bonuses, vacation, summer camp, severance, etc.?  I want to ask my coteacher and the education office but am trying to figure out the best wording when I ask to end two months earlier...Again thank you for the info!!

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 10:48:49 am »
I am also curious on this topic.  My contract ends on Halloween, and I'd like to stay until at least the start of the new semester, maybe longer, but at this point I'm not sure about committing to another 15 months from now. 

I had heard that some schools were starting to move contracts, so they would begin and end with the semesters.  So, I'm hoping I can play into that mentality. 

My question is, similar to the original post, is would it be better to try and negotiate a shorter contract, or sign for another year and give notice.  Has anyone had problems giving notice with EPIK in the past.  I'm worried it will hurt future job prospects, etc.

• Lala07
  • Waygookin

• Korea
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:33 pm »
I was also wondering how to give notice of leaving early. Has anyone had experience or heard of someone saying they will be leaving early? Does it make the last two months really awkward?  Thank you!

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 02:09:24 pm »
Lala07, I've heard stories on here about it being awkward and it makes sense with such a long period of "saying that you are bailing".  I think it depends on your school as you can give a fake excuse.  I know that if I said I had something come up (ex. family sickness), my co-teachers wouldn't give me a hard time. 

as for quiting early with EPIK, I think there are no issues with quitting mid-contract as long as you put in the 60 days.  Worst case scenario, you would get flaged and can't work in the MOE of your school.

I'm still new and it's always on the back of my mind if I want to leave :/

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 02:28:25 pm »
My friend just signed a six month contract and got her visa extended, not renewed. It might be possible. They are doing it so that the timing lines up right for the March hire so they were more than willing to work with her request. She has a modified contract with her school that fits her situation and has a pro-rated severance with a flight home.  I'm sure if you discuss it with them thoroughly, they will be understanding and flexible if possible.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com