Read 242436 times

• ToilingAjumma
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • Anyang
    more
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #1480 on: January 13, 2023, 03:06:50 am »
I had a couple of free passes and I saw Puss in Boots and I saw 3,000 Years of Longing.

It's kind of funny, both movies were about the wishes that you once had and how you never know the unintended consequences of those wishes.

Puss 8
3000 7
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 03:08:31 am by ToilingAjumma »
World Famous Youtuber and Beer Expert. Friends with people in high places. If you need help, just ask me. I probably know someone very influential who can help.
Humble as hell and a hurricane in the sheets.
- Kevin C Grabb

« Reply #1481 on: January 13, 2023, 08:48:44 am »
I saw Puss in Boots the other day. Great family fun. Highly recommended.
Recipient of VanIslander’s Post of the Week January 8-14 2023

• ToilingAjumma
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • Anyang
    more
« Reply #1482 on: January 13, 2023, 02:24:38 pm »
This movie looks insane

https://youtu.be/PuiWDn976Ek
World Famous Youtuber and Beer Expert. Friends with people in high places. If you need help, just ask me. I probably know someone very influential who can help.
Humble as hell and a hurricane in the sheets.
- Kevin C Grabb

• VanIslander
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #1483 on: January 13, 2023, 08:27:27 pm »
This movie looks insane

https://youtu.be/PuiWDn976Ek
Wild, indeed. Very Guillermo del Toro like.
Help others, especially animals. Say what you think, being considerate of others. Appreciate more than deprecate. Teach well and jump on teachable moments. Enjoy Korea as it is, without changing it. Yet, at times, change your life for the better. "The most important [thing] is to have a good day."

• Billy Herrington
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 30, 2022, 12:02:07 am
    • China
    more
« Reply #1484 on: January 13, 2023, 11:59:44 pm »
Recently watched House of Detention. Decent flick
Blocked: Billy Herrington, Van Darkholme, The Cat's Meow, Sock Puppet

• gogators!
  • Waygook Lord

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #1485 on: January 14, 2023, 10:57:21 am »
My favorite thing about Bullet Train is the idea that it's a westerners view on  High-Speed Rail. This EMPTY, non-important, anything-goes and "nothing that happens on this rail trip will have any effect on anything"
Everyone's murdering each other and there is innocent people on this train and there's blood and there's murder and no one moves between trains. No one moves between trains, the bar train is empty, people fight. And then, at the best part,  Kyoto? Guess where the conductor is? Not here! And then the train continues on under the power of the main characters.
I liked the movie! But it seems catered to those who have never, EVER taken a train.

that's a weird take considering it's based on a Japanese novel.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #1486 on: January 14, 2023, 11:19:29 am »
I don’t think TA really got Bullet Train. It was not a movie to be taken seriously. I think it was planned out to be that kind of movie but they ultimately went with the more humorous direction. Still a good but not great movie 7/10

« Reply #1487 on: January 14, 2023, 03:49:37 pm »
A new Western is out. Called 'The Old Way' and stars Nicholas Cage as an aging tough guy gunfighter, who has settled down and now has a wife and child. The usual story...the past catches up with him.

I got a third of the way through last night. It's good enough for me to keep watching tonight. It's a little dry, a bit of humour, and I love the musical references and scenery of Westerns from yesteryear. So far I'd say 6/10 but that could change.

Update...just finished it. Turned out to be kind of fun The daughter played a great part, and Nicolas Cage's character was also kind of cool. 6.5/10 by the end.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:45:48 pm by Jethro Bodine »

• VanIslander
  • Fanatical Supporter!

more
« Reply #1488 on: January 14, 2023, 11:44:18 pm »
I don’t think TA really got Bullet Train. It was not a movie to be taken seriously. I think it was planned out to be that kind of movie but they ultimately went with the more humorous direction. Still a good but not great movie 7/10
My Korean bud called it "silly" and shook his head, saying it was okay. I reminded him of the laughs and moments we enjoyed. I called the film "fun".

It ain't food. It ain't gum.
It's bubble gum. The chew is good and there are pops.
Help others, especially animals. Say what you think, being considerate of others. Appreciate more than deprecate. Teach well and jump on teachable moments. Enjoy Korea as it is, without changing it. Yet, at times, change your life for the better. "The most important [thing] is to have a good day."

• chimp
  • Super Waygook

• April 19, 2015, 05:16:31 am
    • Zoo
« Reply #1489 on: January 15, 2023, 09:24:52 am »
My Korean bud called it "silly" and shook his head, saying it was okay. I reminded him of the laughs and moments we enjoyed. I called the film "fun".

It ain't food. It ain't gum.
It's bubble gum. The chew is good and there are pops.

You had to remind him of the laughs? Sounds like a belabored friendship. Are you sure he isn't bored of you? If your conversational style is anything like your posts on here, you must be a pretty tiresome and dull person to be around.

Also that gum analogy is just shite. Deserves whatever the opposite of a chef's kiss is.
oo oo ahh ahh

• VanIslander
  • Fanatical Supporter!

more
« Reply #1490 on: January 15, 2023, 09:35:18 am »
You had to remind him of the laughs? Sounds like a belabored friendship. Are you sure he isn't bored of you?
Dang. You might be right.

Thanks for that chimp.
I won't forget this.
I owe you one.

• VanIslander
  • Fanatical Supporter!

more
« Reply #1491 on: January 20, 2023, 11:17:48 pm »
https://youtu.be/CrPDTalA1Lc

This 10-minute ONE SHOT we saw, but we were chatting and chomping down on din and hadn't realized it was ALL ONE CAMERA, ONE TAKE!! DANG TECHNICALLY/LOGISTICALLY IMPRESSIVE. (That one single cameraperson should be interviewed about what it took to get all that in one continuos camera take - in the age of CGI we tend to underappreciate the hard stuff like that).

Two notable war films had been better, but we were pimped endlessly beforehand, whereas this algorithm popped up years after release.

This scene should be watched a half century from now, cuz ALL IN ONE TAKE?! Top-7 or so such, all time. Commitment, even if the overall film didn't impress.

Tom Hanks & Tom Cruise have of course had stunning crews who staged epic ONE TAKES!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:56:23 pm by VanIslander »

• VanIslander
  • Fanatical Supporter!

more
« Reply #1492 on: January 22, 2023, 04:33:34 am »
Captain America (loathed the comic book back in the 1970s and 1980s).

Love the cinema version: I could do this all day!

https://youtu.be/SZ2A1biUzUk

Edit: the above compilation of "best" scenes is very good but lacks my fav three, including the HILARIOUS: "I know, I know" :)
https://youtu.be/uBv5pSv0x0k
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:05:25 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #1493 on: January 25, 2023, 04:16:13 pm »
M3GAN (2022)

M3GAN was pretty much what I'd expected, no better or worse. I think it's a good movie but I felt like some of the acting was a little stilted here and there, and that a lot of the characters' behaviors and reactions were not all that realistic. I also found a lot of the doll's behaviors a little confounding because there was a lot going on there and not enough to justify it. I mean, they tried in a half-assed sort of way, but there are huge holes, and I feel like they were more concerned with jamming all of the pieces into the plot's overall theme rather than actually trying to make them *fit* so that it felt like a natural part of the doll's development. But sure, why not, it does make the doll more menacing, lol.

Overall, the movie is very entertaining, and the effects are good. Plenty of LOL moments, both intentional and not so intentional. Fun, either way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:40:05 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #1494 on: January 26, 2023, 02:33:36 pm »
Candyland (2022)

What a ****** depressing ass movie. For the life of me I can't see the point of it at all. The characters and premise of the movie had a lot of potential, but nothing was fully explored. It just felt like the guys in charge wanted something egregious, and they kind of hoped that people would attach their own interpretations to it to make it seem like it was something more than it was.

Obviously, I didn't like it, but it's nowhere near the worst film I've seen. The acting is decent, and the characters are interesting albeit kept shallow despite the groundwork that had been laid out. Watch it if you're bored, but make sure it's in private.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #1495 on: January 27, 2023, 09:09:11 am »
Rescue Dawn (2006).   Christian Bale.   A great war movie.  Here is my favourite scene from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMHmLy9C2hU

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #1496 on: January 27, 2023, 09:22:33 am »
M3GAN. Some online commenter called it a “Woke Chucky”. Not sure how accurate that is, as anything these days with a female lead is “woke”.

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #1497 on: January 27, 2023, 02:28:03 pm »
M3GAN. Some online commenter called it a “Woke Chucky”. Not sure how accurate that is, as anything these days with a female lead is “woke”.

took a brief glimpse at the plot synopsis (not planning on watching it anyways). doesn't look like it.

« Reply #1498 on: January 27, 2023, 03:11:56 pm »
Yeah, the anti-woke crowd is just as obnoxious as the woke crowd, imo.

M3GAN's plot centers around developing emotional awareness and intelligence. Acknowledging feelings instead of ignoring them, processing trauma instead of trying to distract from it, and "showing" you how things can go wrong when you try to get around that. The doll is a campy amalgamation of all of that. **SLIGHT SPOILER** It's obsessive and tries to make the girl dependent on it, basically attempts to isolate her and hurt/kills anyone that might get in the way.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 05:13:57 pm by Chinguetti »

• Savant
  • The Legend

« Reply #1499 on: January 28, 2023, 09:53:49 am »
All Quiet on the Western Front

An accurate depiction of the horrors of trench warfare during WW1. It shows how quickly fervor and nationalism to serve your country can change to just a battle to survive each day. The elite who push the young men into war eat course meals whilst the soldiers on the front are starving. It is a grim movie with plenty of unnerving scenes with a little levity sprinkled in between the horror. The acting is superb, cinematography highlights the true hell of the Front and the music adds to the suspense and sense of incoming trepidation.

9/10