Read 226567 times

• SPQR
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Sierra Leone
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #1340 on: August 29, 2022, 07:37:22 pm »
Nope.

Worst movie I have seen in a while. WTF were the horses, child actors
and CCTV guy all about. WTF was the rabid bedsheet at the end of the movie
trying to do?

Nothing was explained.

« Reply #1341 on: August 30, 2022, 10:26:36 am »
I just watched it.

Everything you said! Some of it was so unexpected and at times a little WTF. I also found myself thinking "what am I watching this for", but they were only fleeting thoughts. A little unique and strangely compelling.

Yeah, Peele really hit all of the right spots for me this time. It has a lot of layers, but we're talking Shrek onion layers.

Worst movie I have seen in a while. WTF were the horses, child actors
and CCTV guy all about. WTF was the rabid bedsheet at the end of the movie
trying to do?

Nothing was explained.

That's fair.  :laugh:

At face value, it's a creature feature about an alien predator and a bunch of people who just happened to be in the right place at the right time to try to capitalize on it. Everything else is meant to cast a critical eye on that decision and on all what led up to that decision, and every character is someone or something being drawn in by their own involvement, or as collateral damage by those who got involved.

This is one of those films that has multiple meanings and is meant to be analyzed to death. But my very simple take on the whole thing is that it's about people trying to control things not meant to be controlled, and suffering major consequences as a result, often continuing the cycle of abuse and trauma and making the same mistakes over and over again. A lot of the ideas making up this film follow this train of thought, and it uses animals and their behaviorisms to give physical representations of these abstract concepts.

The horses were there to help establish this idea initially, and to give purpose for having an animal wrangler in the film in the first place, (someone who could spell things out for us), while the animals represent big concepts that can be dangerous and wild and will never be fully tamed by anyone. The child actors represent those who fall victim to others' ambitions and who often go on to follow in their footsteps (arguments are for any marginalized groups in general), Gordy the chimp represents just how ugly that wild nature can be when we lack the right respect and boundaries and try to capitalize on what we shouldn't, CCTV guy was there to help them set up the camera work and to serve as an outside person looking in (the audience), and the rabid bedsheet was the ultimate beast that'll consume you if you're not careful. What we saw at the end of the film was the alien creature's fully expanded form after the protagonists managed to seriously hurt it (I suspect the creature was made to look similar to predators of the sea and that its "final form" may have been a reference to a weather balloon as a nod towards the Roswell incident). Many animals in the wild try to appear much larger whenever they feel threatened, and this is what the alien bedsheet was doing -- it was literally acting swole to try to intimidate and dominate its prey. Making eye contact with it is a challenge -- literally looking into the eye of the beast -- which has consequences if you're not prepared for it (lots of interpretations for this, but commonly accepted that at least one of those intended interpretations is to look into the eye of the camera or at a problematic industry).

There is a ton of other takes on this, some of which really dive deep into that rabbit hole, but on the whole a lot of people just see the film as a criticism against the movie industry and capitalism (also based on comments from the director who is leaving the film largely open to interpretation, but he does drop hints about what he was trying to do here and there). I'm not gonna get into all that as I don't find it all that interesting, but there are a lot of blog entries about it, lol.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 12:17:48 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #1342 on: August 30, 2022, 10:34:37 am »
I can't believe it took me this long to get to Blade Runner 2049...wtf was I thinking in missing it in theaters and waiting so long? Then again, that was right when ST:D came out and maybe I was just embittered towards sci-fi and franchises...

• 745sticky
  • The Legend

• March 26, 2020, 01:52:57 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #1343 on: August 30, 2022, 10:42:22 am »
great movie, watched it on the plane ride back over. nice to get a sequel that does the original justice

« Reply #1344 on: August 31, 2022, 09:53:33 am »
The Black Phone (2021)

I really liked it. I thought they did a great job with the killer (Ethan Hawke was fantastic), I thought the kids were pretty funny, although tbf some of the dialogue coming from the kids was a little unrealistic -- not because kids aren't capable of having these types of discussions and whatnot, but because the kids portraying them really don't match the image they were going for. They weren't really able to carry themselves in the way that kids with those backgrounds WOULD carry themselves, so they came off as being edgelords rather than kids from the wrong side of the tracks, lol.  I was able to ignore this because 1) these are child actors, and 2) the movie's setting isn't modern. So a little bit of cheese and cringe is forgivable. Plus, those little tidbits here and there are small and don't dominate the movie.

« Reply #1345 on: September 02, 2022, 02:50:28 pm »
I half watched 'Fall' last night. It's about a couple of young climbers stuck up the top of a 2000 foot tower. It made the inside of my stomach and my testicles do strange things. I had to keep closing my legs and squeezing. Not fun...! Hence, I did a lot of FF and didn't finish.  :-[

The movie was not great but the view and situation was horrifying. Heights I have no problem with, but sheer drops and edges, I freak out and go all funny...On the screen or in real life.

Have a watch! Better heart-stopping moments than a horror movie.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about this one because it looks anxiety-inducing. Just watching the trailer had my stomach in knots.  :laugh:

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2022, 12:15:38 am
    • Jeolla
« Reply #1346 on: September 03, 2022, 08:55:07 am »
...just finished up "Mr. Jones".   

It revolves around the starving Ukrainians during Stalin's reign, WW II circa.  Interestingly enough, the New York Times lied about the story by withholding what was really going on (IMAGINE THAT). 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #1347 on: September 03, 2022, 09:09:30 pm »
"Why would you get into a fight, with someone who isn't part of your life, who could take your life?"

Says Sylvester Stalone's character in "Samaritan" (2022), regarding running away when faced with a fight-or-flight response; this advice to a teenager.

The film is like the lesser cousin of Bruce Willis' "Unbreakable".

An enjoyable 7.4 out of 10. A few moments are choice. It's on par with Clint Eastwood's "Gran Torino".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:12:26 pm by VanIslander »
Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• ToilingAjumma
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
« Reply #1348 on: September 08, 2022, 10:53:12 am »
Nope (2022)

I liked it too! Lots of thoughts to digest.

Ew. Digest. lol

« Reply #1349 on: September 08, 2022, 10:57:51 am »
Anyone watched 'Where the Crawdads Sing' yet? I haven't read the book because I wasn't sure about it. I'm kind of hoping that the movie is worth watching, and it might spark a little more enthusiasm for the novel.

Edit;

I just watched it. What a despairing movie. I felt so sad sitting here by myself trying to get my head around all the loneliness that was seeping out of this story. Wish my wife had of watched it with me.
It's not really a movie for men - not a movie for those who love Kung Fu and car chases. it's just a moving story...not much more. I loved it for some reason, though. Recommended for sensitive souls.

I watched this the other day. I'd lump it in with movies like Steel Magnolias and Fried Green Tomatoes, the purpose of which is to watch how characters persevere in the face of great tragedy, persecution, or disparity.

It's a good and extremely sincere coming-of-age tale, definitely not something for anyone looking for action or laughs.  :laugh: I really liked how the movie started off but it kind of piddled near the end for me. Still a really good movie, though.

Had no idea it was a book, might give it a read. I tend to like stories like this better as books than as movies.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #1350 on: September 08, 2022, 11:18:05 am »
...recently finished watching The Prestige. 

Still my favorite C. Nolan movie. 

« Reply #1351 on: September 08, 2022, 11:52:10 am »
Best movies-

Falling Down- Kirk Douglas does an awesome job as the hero.
Taxi Driver- All time classic
Fight Club- A bit cerebral, but what a twist!
Bad Ass- Inspired by a true story. Makes it grea.
Cobra- Not a big Stallone fan, but he blows it out of the water.
Award-winning English Teacher and 1%er. Self-published author. Tournament-winning Poker Pro.

Member of the Winner's Circle with the likes of Jordan Peterson, Donald Trump, Candace Owens, Hong Joon-Pyo and Mark Dice.

100% Soy-Free diet. Not a Cuckgookin.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #1352 on: September 08, 2022, 12:03:45 pm »
Best movies-

Falling Down- Kirk Douglas does an awesome job as the hero.
Taxi Driver- All time classic
Fight Club- A bit cerebral, but what a twist!
Bad Ass- Inspired by a true story. Makes it grea.
Cobra- Not a big Stallone fan, but he blows it out of the water.

All angry movies.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #1353 on: September 08, 2022, 02:05:29 pm »
...recently finished watching The Prestige. 

Still my favorite C. Nolan movie. 

The Prestige is good but I still love Inception.

• ToilingAjumma
  • Adventurer

• September 06, 2022, 09:12:01 pm
    • LargeKoreanCitizenCountry
« Reply #1354 on: September 08, 2022, 02:10:08 pm »
Memento will always be Nolan's true masterpiece.

Inception? Prestige? You all have it................. backwards. lol

« Reply #1355 on: September 08, 2022, 02:17:21 pm »
All angry movies.
Falling down wasn't angry. I thought it was pretty funny.
Award-winning English Teacher and 1%er. Self-published author. Tournament-winning Poker Pro.

Member of the Winner's Circle with the likes of Jordan Peterson, Donald Trump, Candace Owens, Hong Joon-Pyo and Mark Dice.

100% Soy-Free diet. Not a Cuckgookin.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #1356 on: September 09, 2022, 11:00:42 am »
The Prestige is good but I still love Inception.

I forgot about that one.  I think, probably one of the most original movies ever made....and well done. 

The difference I saw between the two, is that The Prestige is more likely to happen. However, I'll give Inception its due credit.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #1357 on: September 17, 2022, 10:40:46 pm »
Fall

It's just breasts and survival, really. 4/10.

Guess some mod edited “t!tt!es and survival”.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:51:35 am by Savant »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • South Gyeongsang province for 13 years (with a 7-year Jeju interlude)
    more
« Reply #1358 on: September 18, 2022, 05:49:38 am »
John Wick has nothing on her:

https://youtu.be/9FF_EWcEMxw

Life's to live! Live! Breathe. Relax. Enjoy. Animals teach us to focus on family, friends and avoid danger. Get what you need and get along with others. That said, some rock the boat, but they know capsizin' it means they're sunk. Some sink, let's swim! The sea's big, great, but has undercurrents.

• Spliced
  • Veteran

• Jeolla
« Reply #1359 on: September 24, 2022, 09:18:31 am »
When Trumpets Fade....

I always see it on HBOMax as an option but never pressed "play". 

While I"m not a big fan of seeing Joes being killed...it's not a bad movie.