Read 167225 times

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #1040 on: October 01, 2020, 08:48:32 pm »
Will watch "There Will Be Blood" tomorrow. Have no idea weather it's good or  not, but my wife has been hanging out to watch it for some reason. It's not on Netflix, so being Chuseok, my son-in-law downloaded it for 1,500 won. Nice and cheap.

Acting and Cinematography masterpiece.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #1041 on: October 01, 2020, 10:16:14 pm »
Will watch "There Will Be Blood" tomorrow. Have no idea weather it's good or  not, but my wife has been hanging out to watch it for some reason. It's not on Netflix, so being Chuseok, my son-in-law downloaded it for 1,500 won. Nice and cheap.

My wife was none too impressed with “The Master” despite its accolades. If I might generalize all Korean people based on my experience with one of them, while also lumping all P.T. Anderson films into a single cinematic experience, your wife (whom I assume is Korean) may not find “There Will Be Blood” to be very palatable.

That said, it’s your milkshake.

« Reply #1042 on: October 01, 2020, 10:32:26 pm »
Thank you Don Hobak. May she fall on her own sword while I sit back and glance while sipping, or probably guzzling on beer, or maybe baeksaju. while listening to what ever songs shall sideline me. Whatever, it should be a great  day tomorrow. I hope you also have a great one!

« Reply #1043 on: October 01, 2020, 10:38:51 pm »
C02, sounds like you enjoyed it. Maybe we should leave it to Saturday. The kids will be gone, and ice cream will be the choice of the day.
Seriously though, Give me a rundown. I have no idea of the story.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:44:27 pm by Kurt Sorensen »

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #1044 on: October 20, 2020, 04:16:53 pm »
I watched Fatima and Greyhound recently. Both good movies but not worth a 2nd watch in the future.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #1045 on: October 21, 2020, 08:28:55 am »
am i out of touch or are movies on naver super cheap?

« Reply #1046 on: November 17, 2020, 05:41:34 pm »
Haven't watched it yet, but Jiu Jitsu (2020).

Seems kind of like a Mortal Kombat rip-off with Nicolas Cage playing knock-off Raiden. So of course I need to watch it.

« Reply #1047 on: November 17, 2020, 08:07:37 pm »

Seems kind of like a Mortal Kombat rip-off with Nicolas Cage playing knock-off Raiden. So of course I need to watch it.

I’m sorry, but Nick Cage doesn’t play “knock-off” anything. Nick Cage is the man whom the character Raiden is based off.

I watched Frozen the other day and don’t really get why the trolls had to erase Anna’s memory of Elsa’s powers. Actually don’t understand why trolls at all, though I’m guessing it was a weak attempt to incorporate Scandinavian folklore. I think it would have been a more compelling film had Anna’s memory remained intact.

« Reply #1048 on: November 19, 2020, 11:37:08 am »
I’m sorry, but Nick Cage doesn’t play “knock-off” anything. Nick Cage is the man whom the character Raiden is based off.

That's true, only one person can play Nick Cage the way Nick Cage can, and that's Nick Cage.

I watched Frozen the other day and don’t really get why the trolls had to erase Anna’s memory of Elsa’s powers. Actually don’t understand why trolls at all, though I’m guessing it was a weak attempt to incorporate Scandinavian folklore. I think it would have been a more compelling film had Anna’s memory remained intact.

Yeah, the trolls weren't really necessary, they just kind of used them to help give the story's plot a purpose and a direction. They needed someone to explain the how and why, and I guess they figured the trolls were a cute choice.

I actually really hate them, lol. Absolutely the worst things in the whole film.

As for why they erased Anna's memory of Elsa's powers, I think it was because Anna's trauma had been caused by Elsa's powers, and, by magic rules, this meant they needed to use Anna's memory of Elsa's powers to ease that trauma. Because magic. Haha.

Plus, it gave a convenient reason for making both girls feel isolated and alone, which is one of the themes for the Snow Queen fairy tale.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:47:50 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #1049 on: November 19, 2020, 12:16:15 pm »
Yeah, Anna’s not knowing about Elsa’s powers does hold a lot together in the story while also making both characters plausibly likable, which is probably important of your heroines in a kid’s movie. Anna would have been a real jerk for pulling off Elsa’s glove and provoking her at the ball if she had known about her sister’s powers. I guess I’m just searching for a way to erase the trolls from the movie and still make it work. There’s a way to do it, but it would have made the story and emotions much heavier. Plus, kids probably like trolls a lot more than I do, at least the kind love-troll variety.

• starryella
  • Adventurer

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #1050 on: November 19, 2020, 12:23:58 pm »
Yeah, Anna’s not knowing about Elsa’s powers does hold a lot together in the story while also making both characters plausibly likable, which is probably important of your heroines in a kid’s movie. Anna would have been a real jerk for pulling off Elsa’s glove and provoking her at the ball if she had known about her sister’s powers. I guess I’m just searching for a way to erase the trolls from the movie and still make it work. There’s a way to do it, but it would have made the story and emotions much heavier. Plus, kids probably like trolls a lot more than I do, at least the kind love-troll variety.
I don't think it would be that difficult, actually.

Elsa had a lot of guilt for what she (accidentally) did to Anna. I could see her just holing herself up in her room and cutting herself off from Anna like she did in canon, Anna protesting and becoming resentful and bitter towards Elsa for abandoning her and refusing to believe that she didn't blame Elsa for what happened, and then the two having an icy (pun not intended) reunion at the coronation ball. Tensions are high with Anna feeling ultimate resentment for Elsa being willing to come out of her own world for this but not for her own family, they bicker, Anna accidentally grabs Elsa's glove instead of her hand, movie goes on.

I mean, you'd have to write another plotline where Anna finds something else out about Elsa that shows her Elsa truly cared for her or else why would she go after her in this story. Maybe she finds her diary or something magical that Elsa made for her in Elsa's chamber, etc.

But yeah, I mean I do think it could be done. I think the trolls are there for comic relief, personally. They come at moments in the movie that feel heavy. My guess is they were meant to lighten the mood for little kids and make the movie less scary.

Side note, it always made me very uncomfortable that before they died Anna and Elsa's parents just let their daughters live in basic isolation, particularly Elsa. It came across as making her feel guilty and wrong about something fundamentally a part of her. I guess it's essential that Elsa never finds acceptance for herself prior to the beginning of the story, but yeah, I always just wondered what kind of parents would let their kid hide in a room for ten years out of guilt.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 12:29:28 pm by starryella »

« Reply #1051 on: November 19, 2020, 12:54:34 pm »
Yeah, it could work, but the alternative you described does sound a bit darker. Although I’m sure Disney has a lot of talented writers who could have taken the edge off... with friendly trolls, perhaps? :shocked:

Re: neglectful parenting. That all happens during a musical montage. You’re not supposed to think about it!

• starryella
  • Adventurer

• November 07, 2019, 04:29:39 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #1052 on: November 19, 2020, 01:10:14 pm »
Yeah, it could work, but the alternative you described does sound a bit darker. Although I’m sure Disney has a lot of talented writers who could have taken the edge off... with friendly trolls, perhaps? :shocked:

Re: neglectful parenting. That all happens during a musical montage. You’re not supposed to think about it!

LOL.

I agree that it is a too dark for kids. I think the Frozen story actually has a lot of potential for an older audience though. Like, sans trolls and with with more introspection and character development. I would actually really like to see a play or reprise of the story written that way.

« Reply #1053 on: November 19, 2020, 01:46:32 pm »
LOL.

I agree that it is a too dark for kids. I think the Frozen story actually has a lot of potential for an older audience though. Like, sans trolls and with with more introspection and character development. I would actually really like to see a play or reprise of the story written that way.

I’m sure once “Frozen” fans come of age you’ll get plenty of “Wicked”-esque reimaginings.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #1054 on: November 19, 2020, 01:47:36 pm »
Last night, I watched A Man with a Movie Camera - Russia (1929) 65 mins

I loved this. Its basically about a guy with a film camera running around Russia and filming everyday life. That's the story. Which is to say, there really isn't one. It's a slice of life movie.

The shots they got. Man, there's split screen and weird angles and focus. Really inventive stuff.

I love the intro. Setting up the projector, threading the film. It's easy to say we know how it works, but keep in mind it's the 20s in Russia. Most people would not have seen how one works. Or how it's threaded. They may have heard HOW it works but the vast majority of people would never have seen one, let alone how it operated.

And the part with the editor was great. Looking at some still images of people in Russia and then cutting to 4 or 5 seconds of the shot she was looking at.

The editing is frenetic, too. Very rhythmic and quick. I imagine this pissed off a lot of people watching it back then. This is groundbreaking stuff.

Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-2RgK3WwA&feature=emb_logo
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:49:46 pm by CO2 »
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #1055 on: November 19, 2020, 04:03:34 pm »
The movie would have been just fine without the trolls. Their roles in the film could have been easily replaced by other characters or even artifacts, and it still would have been good for kids, but it feels like the writers or whoever was in charge of their creation was just looking for an easy way out. Maybe they needed an extra musical number and thought that this would be a great piece of folklore to toss in, I don't know, but the way the trolls were depicted comes off as incredibly incomplete and out-of-nowhere to me. They just didn't fit, and they were just so unnecessary and so, so stupid.

It's like the Ewoks in Star Wars all over again. Really sloppy writing, imo.

Don't even get me started on the Ewoks. I hate them all.

« Reply #1056 on: November 19, 2020, 04:38:44 pm »
Like, for example, if I was being hard-pressed to keep the story and plot as close to the way it is but without the trolls, I would have just had Elsa be the reason why Anna's memories of her powers disappeared.

They're both very young girls, yeah? Elsa accidentally hurting Anna would have been an incredibly traumatizing event for her, which they did depict in the movie as it is. They also show that Elsa herself has the power to reverse her own magic, she just doesn't know or understand that part of herself, yet, so it would only make sense that all of Elsa's guilt and trauma over hurting Anna would manifest itself in this way as well, especially when they made such a deal about her powers being a manifestation of her own emotions. A sliver of sweat, a tear, whatever, could have made its way to Anna in the form of a snowflake or something, and "cured" her, but with the side effect of removing all of Anna's memories of Elsa's powers because Elsa wants to protect Anna from her powers and this is how her powers interpret that desire.

Then with Elsa and her parents both fearing her powers and wanting to keep it hush hush until they can figure them out -- if they can figure them out -- it would still make sense that they would keep them secret from Anna.

If I were being hard-pressed about keeping the trolls in, I'd only have them in the capacity of having Anna and Kristoff seek them out for answers without them having any direct ties with the main characters. You know, as part of actual folklore that the main characters hope is real but don't know for sure if it is. Or, hell, have the trolls seek THEM out because they sense a shift in the magic, and they're partly responsible for trying to keep it stable and balanced, or something. If I had my way, the adults would have been more like the Mystics from The Dark Crystal, while their babies would have been ****** adorable to help take the edge off. The contrast would have been great.

Anyway.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:47:44 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #1057 on: November 19, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
Don't even get me started on the Ewoks. I hate them all.

I think if you hate one eWok, you gotta hate em all as they are basically indistinguishable from each other. Same with Wookies, though that’s because there only seems to be one.*

*My apologies if later/“earlier” episodes beyond the original trilogy added complexity to the eWok tribe or members to the Wookie clan. I didn’t get beyond “Phantom Menace”.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #1058 on: November 22, 2020, 10:22:56 am »
"Love and Monsters"

Initially thought it would be a cheesy teen rom-com-zom movie with a less known cast than similarly themed "Zombieland" but it impressed me a lot.  Loved the intro and background story narration, characters that you actually cared for, a cracking script and pretty neat action sequences.

Would love to see a sequel, at least.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #1059 on: November 23, 2020, 10:28:13 am »
i watched "nocturnal animals" yesterday and holy shit i was not ready for how dark that movie was going to be. one review i read accurately described it as misanthropic. im really not sure how i feel about it, but it's been on my mind since it finished