Read 111886 times

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #700 on: December 02, 2019, 10:55:30 am »
Yeah, The Irishman was a great film to watch.

But, like, once, unless you're the type who likes to watch drawn out scenes with a lot of hidden foreshadowing.

I got bored with the back and forth of it. I just don't have the attention span for this type of movie anymore. I appreciate it, though. And, honestly, while people felt like the store owner's beating should have been left out of the film because of how awkward it looked to them, it was a fairly pivotal scene. It illustrated the beginning of the rift between Deniro's character and his family, which was a very important main plot point of the whole film. I wouldn't have left it out. I might have tried to film it at different angles, though, to help hide Deniro's age a bit better, but Scorsese has a particular style and he likes to frame certain scenes a certain way.

So I get it.

I'm looking forward to Knives Out.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #701 on: December 02, 2019, 11:28:54 am »

Seeing it on Wednesday (Korean Premiere) on the YDP big screen!
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #702 on: December 03, 2019, 12:40:19 pm »

Seeing it on Wednesday (Korean Premiere) on the YDP big screen!

Wow. I'm surprised it's playing on the big screen. Actually I'm surprised it's even coming here.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #703 on: December 03, 2019, 12:44:43 pm »
Wow. I'm surprised it's playing on the big screen. Actually I'm surprised it's even coming here.

Why? It has Daniel Craig and Chris Evans.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #704 on: December 03, 2019, 12:46:35 pm »

Why? It has Daniel Craig and Chris Evans.

True. But like, it's an original, non-franchise film and it's not a huge blockbuster type, nor like, Oscar-bait. That's cool it's getting a wide release here.

« Reply #705 on: December 09, 2019, 12:42:07 pm »
Doctor Sleep
Knives Out

Warning, light spoilers.

Doctor Sleep is a decent movie, but they spent a lot of time on certain scenes that would have been better made shorter or cut out altogether. These scenes ended up making the movie feel super drawn out, as if they were only being used to fill in empty space. Maybe I'm just missing something there, but gawd, it was weird how they chose to connect the dots in between all of that empty space. As another result, less time was spent on scenes that do a much better job at illustrating the story's plot and atmosphere. I also think the bad guys are super ****** lame. Their concept is fine, but the movie folks tried really hard to push the idea that these people weren't human anymore (and, in that sense, to make them more scary and malevolent). But they did this by having the other characters say so repeatedly throughout the film rather than actually showing us (I mean, c'mon, breathing in "steam" and watching them kill a couple of kids for this steam isn't really going to cut it). They felt more like a ragtag bunch of failed gypsies. Disney villains are more intimidating and scary. The Shadow Man (aka Dr. Facilier) was a better bad guy.

So I think it's a good film, but I personally have a lot of issues with it, and doing a poor job with the antagonists is always a major peeve of mine.

Anyway, I loved Knives Out. There were a couple of things about it that I thought were kind of lame, but nothing that ruins the film for me. Daniel Craig is hilarious, I love that man. Overall, my kind of movie.