Read 151846 times

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #920 on: May 05, 2020, 03:42:36 am »
I recently saw the mercenaries, I love that movie

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #921 on: May 05, 2020, 10:53:38 am »
Extraction...

The first action scene was decent but typical.

The 2nd scene in the car chase had some original camera angles.

The 3rd action scene was great, but the movie didn't develop the characters or have gripping acting so it was EASY to stop watching the movie after about an hour. I dunno how the movie ends, and i don't care. That is an indictment. Too many action films are like this.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #922 on: May 06, 2020, 02:04:08 am »
...just finished up 'Waco', on Netflix.

« Reply #923 on: May 29, 2020, 10:32:35 am »
Now, my students are back, I have a bit of free time in the evenings.  So had time for three films this week...

The Baader Meinhof Complex from 2009, which was very watchable.  Not sure how historically accurate it was.  But very good all the same.

Die Brucke (The Bridge) (1959) - Now this was good.  About seven school boys who get called up towards the end of the war and are in charge of a bridge in their town.  Brilliantly done, although I won't give too much away.  Doesn't glorify war and showed the nonsense hierarchy within the army. 

Last night, I went for 'Knives Out' and was just kind of 'meh'.  Oh there is a sequel!!  Really, oh right!  Fine to pass a bit of time.  Story okay.  I found it a bit difficult to get past Daniel Craig with an American accent.  Not saying he was crap, just a bit weird.  Was trying to work out where the nurse was from and realised she was in Bladerunner 2049.  So, yeh, okay. 

edit* couldn't post the proper German name with the proper vowel  :sad:

• Colburnnn
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #924 on: May 29, 2020, 10:45:30 am »
Say Knives Out at the movies, no idea if it is based on a book or what, but one of the most random 'Meh' films I've ever seen. Both of us walked out thinking, 'what the f*ck was that?'
Haven't you got some pictures of birds to be jacking off to, son?

Colburnnn: Complains a lot, very sassy. Has a loudmouth.

« Reply #925 on: May 29, 2020, 10:52:26 am »
Say Knives Out at the movies, no idea if it is based on a book or what, but one of the most random 'Meh' films I've ever seen. Both of us walked out thinking, 'what the f*ck was that?'

Yep.  I found myself thinking more about what a nice house it was, than the story.  Or Daniel Craig with an American accent.  Or the woman from Bladerunner 2049.  Not the story.  I even started playing Candy Crush during it.  Then you know a film is not going well. 

« Reply #926 on: May 29, 2020, 10:57:37 am »
I loved Knives Out, definitely one of my favorite films last year. I think it's hilarious that they not only had Craig speaking with an American accent, but that they had him speaking with the_most_stereotypi cal southern drawl.

His donut analogy killed me.

All of the word play and barbs are my kind of sense of humor, though.

Looking forward to its sequel, and also to Death on the Nile (big fan of the new Poirot, I think Branagh does an excellent job playing him).

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:00:39 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #927 on: June 09, 2020, 06:46:09 am »
Watched a few films in the evenings. 

'El Espíritu de la colmena' - Spirit of the Beehive

Nice Spanish film from 1973.  Didn't realise about the hidden meaning behind it watching it but nice watch and very interesting and influenced Guillermo Del Toro and his recurring theme of children believing in and acting on imaginary worlds.  Good stuff.

Re-watched 'Oh Brother Where art Thou' and 'The Big Lebowski' and realised why I love them so much!!

'Pelíšky' - Cosy Dens

A Czech Republic comedy drama from 1999 set in 1967 that follows three families in Prague leading up to the 1968 Prague Spring.  I actually laughed out loud quite a few times during this film.  Good stuff. 

« Reply #928 on: June 09, 2020, 07:00:46 am »
Is there a movie you've seen more than 10 times?

Aliens
Muppets Christmas Carol
The Big Lebowski
Predator and Commando (If it's on, I'll watch it and enjoy it again and again)
Polar Express
You can probably add most of Miyazaki's animations because I watch them with my students as well as when I saw them before.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #929 on: June 09, 2020, 07:09:02 am »
More than 10 times?

Scrooged (Bill Murray made Xmas better many a year)

The original Star Wars movie (saw it three times on opening weekend in 1977)

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #930 on: June 09, 2020, 07:30:31 am »
I watched "Home" like a dozen times because whenever I visited some friends, they'd put that on for their kids, and I somehow always ended up with them, eating their popcorn and watching their movie.

Also The Princes Bride. Just as awesome film that I've seen often over the years.
And Inception. Also because it's awesome.

Movie recommendations?
Try "Tusk"! It's about a walrus who thinks it's something more.

:smiley:

« Reply #931 on: June 12, 2020, 11:03:19 am »
So with the end of Rick and Morty's season 4, I've been hunting around for similar adult animated series to watch.

This led me to Solar Opposites. It's similar for all of the obvious reasons, but it's not as good, and, I dunno, it's also a little more horrifying in a way. I like it enough to keep watching it, though, because I'm totally invested in Jesse. All of the other characters can go to hell.

I also discovered Final Space during this search, and I love the goofy cuteness of it. It might be one of my new favorite things right now. I imagine that a lot of members on this forum might find some of the characters super annoying, and you all can go to hell, too, I love them.

As for movies, there's been quite a few, but I can't think of any of them right now because none of them had an impact on me. Boring shite.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:17:39 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #932 on: June 15, 2020, 09:41:39 am »
So with the end of Rick and Morty's season 4, I've been hunting around for similar adult animated series to watch.

What did you think of the last five episodes? The last one was kind of 'shrug'.  I liked the 'Promortyus' one though.  And the 'Planets Only' advert at the end of the 9th one had me in tears. 

Watched 天気の子 - 'Weathering with You' on Saturday and thought it was really nicely done.  It was from the same bloke who did 'Your Name' in 2016.  Nice music, and I loved the Tokyo backdrop, beautifully done.  Story was nicey nicey as you'd expect.  Good stuff.

• dippedinblush
  • Super Waygook

• November 21, 2013, 11:15:05 am
    • Yangpyeong, South Korea
« Reply #933 on: June 15, 2020, 09:48:06 am »
Ronnie thank you for the recommendation!  I was in the mood for a lighthearted Japanese anime movie, and I absolutely love Your Name!   ;D

« Reply #934 on: June 15, 2020, 09:52:59 am »
Ronnie thank you for the recommendation!  I was in the mood for a lighthearted Japanese anime movie, and I absolutely love Your Name!   ;D

:-*

Definitely worth it.  I was in that 'lighthearted' mode on Saturday and it was the perfect tonic. Lovely soundtrack, beautiful animation, story was lovely too.  I'd say it was better than 'Your Name' but films are all relative.  There's a decent torrent on piratebay which is quick downloading with hard-coded dutch subs, but you can add the English over the top of them. 

« Reply #935 on: June 15, 2020, 10:13:57 am »
What did you think of the last five episodes? The last one was kind of 'shrug'.  I liked the 'Promortyus' one though.  And the 'Planets Only' advert at the end of the 9th one had me in tears. 

I thought they were alright. They're not really what I'd been hoping for, but I understand that they're trying to bring the series back around to have more focus on the adventures rather than on the heavier, drama-filled plot, so I give it a pass. I just really want them to go somewhere with Evil Morty.

I actually liked the final episode more than 'Promortyus' because of the way it poked fun at a bunch of tropes and also because they used it for bridging the adventures in with the longer running plot without deviating away from the adventures. But you're right, it was also meh because it felt like a second thought. Like they were just, "Okay, let's toss this stuff in there and say that we tried, can't make everyone happy," but all that did was take away from everything that they were trying to do. It lacked focus. Which kind of annoyed me but it's whatever, they're trying to do this thing while also keeping up with demands, and hopefully the process is smoother later down the line. I'm pretty sure that they were pressed for time and just needed to get shit done.

Overall, I still enjoyed this season, including the final five, but they were lacking.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:16:58 pm by Chinguetti »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #936 on: June 15, 2020, 11:36:42 am »
Dave Gorman has been uploading series 2 of Modern Life is Goodish on YT.  He is truly a cut above, and is the genius of the callback.
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #937 on: June 15, 2020, 02:57:42 pm »
Dave Gorman has been uploading series 2 of Modern Life is Goodish on YT.  He is truly a cut above, and is the genius of the callback.

Will give it a watch.

Loved “Are You Dave Gorman/The Dave Gorman Collection” and “How to start your own Country” by Danny Wallace from years ago.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #938 on: June 15, 2020, 03:11:04 pm »
Watched The Aeronauts at Starium Yeongdeungpo. Really great to watch on a massive screen. The special effects are not flashy, but they're seamless and they look really real. The sentimentality of the stories is a bit much, and the dialogue is a bit cheesy but the actors are good and again, watch this on a huge screen and it looks great. Got a lot of those stomach churning vertigo feelings that I haven't had since The Walk (JGL/WTC tightrope movie), which is good!

Some people don't like to be uncomfortable during movies, or be angry during movies, and yeah, sure, everyone has their tastes.

But when a movie can make me feel vertigo (not for minutes on end, obv) but genuinely spin my head around and confuse me, or make me pissed off (very rare), that's a sign of great film making. 

The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2020, 12:41:28 pm »
Watched 'The Visitor' yesterday and really liked it.  It was written and directed by Tom McCarthy who debuted with 'The Station Agent' in 2004 with Peter Dinklage, which I still absolutely love, and he did 'Spotlight' in 2015.   Like 'The Station Agent', it's very low budget but so well done with very subtle character traits linked with loneliness.  Richard Jenkins was excellent as the main character.  Also downloaded 'Win Win' which is another of his, and will maybe watch tonight.