Read 151834 times

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #860 on: April 07, 2020, 07:42:55 am »
Delved into the DC Universe movies:

Man Of Steel
Batman vs Superman
Wonder Woman
Justice League
Aquaman

Decent enough movies to enjoy a beer or two over but not going to win any Oscars.

I just binged watched over the past week Agents of Shield.  Six seasons finished last night.  Before that doing lessons.  Originally figured we'd be back by now.  But back to school yesterday. 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #861 on: April 07, 2020, 08:00:35 am »
I just binged watched over the past week Agents of Shield.  Six seasons finished last night.  Before that doing lessons.  Originally figured we'd be back by now.  But back to school yesterday. 

Big fan of Agents of Shield but the last two seasons were a bit poor. Seems it isn't sure where it should sit within the MCU or if it should be included at all.

Seems right that the upcoming season will be the last.

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #862 on: April 07, 2020, 03:28:21 pm »
If WW1 was a bar fight

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #863 on: April 07, 2020, 03:31:56 pm »
Here's an interesting idea for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHr2JJHFe0
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #864 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:43 pm »
Watched "The World of Us" last night (우리들)

Great little Korean film from 2016 about a loner grade 4 student who gets bullied and she makes a new friend. The dynamics of the children are really realistic and they're SAVAGE. The kids all do a pretty good job of acting and the movie looks really good, pastell-ish colours and a bit of desaturation.

It's a very simple film. On location, small scale but I really liked the message it carried and he interactions between the characters.

I need to get my hands on The House of Us, (우리집) , Yoon Gaeun's next film (2019)

« Reply #865 on: April 08, 2020, 02:40:04 pm »
Gretel and Hansel

It's an interesting take on the fairy tale. A little too dry and pretentious for me, but I'm not sad I watched it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:08:42 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #866 on: April 09, 2020, 08:56:07 am »
Not sure if it qualifies as a film but Baraka made in 1992 is just an amazing video.  At an hour and thirty-eight minutes, I think it does qualify as a film.  If you want to be reminded about the immense size of what goes on daily around the world, then this is the thing to watch.  (there are some NSFW (nude) bits in the middle with the African tribes)  But seriously brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbdFW6N782w

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #867 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:33 am »
Is anyone here on letterboxd? Add me.

Lokimonoxide

Watched Killing Them Softly last night.

Often gorgeous, soundtrack was great. Acting was good, especially Scoot McNairy.

Dialogue and script? NO. Politicians speaking over the characters from TVs? NO.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #868 on: April 09, 2020, 09:48:53 am »
Big fan of Agents of Shield but the last two seasons were a bit poor. Seems it isn't sure where it should sit within the MCU or if it should be included at all.

Seems right that the upcoming season will be the last.

I never watched it before until last week.  I downloaded and watched all 6 seasons over a week and a half.  I did find the last season was a bit of a strange stretch.  (It was shorter too.)  Yes, it will probably be a year before I watch the last season (7) as I want to download and watch all at once. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #869 on: April 12, 2020, 08:11:02 pm »
"Donít forget, when you look at an old person to remember that they werenít always old. They were young at one time. Fashionable at one time. Attractive at one time. Probably way cooler than you at one time."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_Q07hjc4A

"I will bet every single person here stopped and thought, Which day would I relive?"

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #870 on: April 12, 2020, 08:45:31 pm »
Just watched a great movie on Popcornflix......   4 Feathers.

Highly recommended.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #871 on: April 13, 2020, 07:29:53 am »
i watched prometheus and jurassic park this weekend. i had no idea BD Wong and Samuel L Jackson were in jurassic park so that was really cool. that movie really is super quotable so now i truly understand more of those references. is alien: covenant worth watching? or any of the other alien movies? so far i've seen alien, aliens, and prometheus

« Reply #872 on: April 13, 2020, 07:52:32 am »
i watched prometheus and jurassic park this weekend. i had no idea BD Wong and Samuel L Jackson were in jurassic park so that was really cool. that movie really is super quotable so now i truly understand more of those references. is alien: covenant worth watching? or any of the other alien movies? so far i've seen alien, aliens, and prometheus

This is a difficult one.  Aliens will always remain one of my favourite films of all time.  I saw it when I was 13 and Hudson (Bill Pakton) aced it.  I loved the story and even now I've seen 30-odd times, when I hear the pulse rifle, I love it.  Alien was also excellent.  I loved hearing about the chest-bursting scene where none of the other actors/actresses knew anything about it other than John Hurt, as Ridley Scott wanted them to be acutally scared shitless.  Again, I saw this in my teens and loved it.  Prometheus looks beautiful but the story is just flawed and it totally ruins it.  Lovely effects, but after a while the scientists and taking their helmets off on an alien planet or just the stupid poor choices that peopel just wouldn't make ruin it.  She had a cut along her stomach, and had it stapled back and then two minutes later she is running around?  No.  From Alien 3 to Covenant, it's like the Terminator films, where they invent a flimsy reason to make a new film.  I'd say Alien 3 is better than Covenant as it more true to the first two than the ones after. 

Tyler, did you enjoy watching them?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #873 on: April 13, 2020, 08:03:42 am »
Tyler, did you enjoy watching them?

yeah i did enjoy them! i agree that there were a lot of really stupid things in Prometheus in terms of the story, but i really like the atmosphere and the world. i don't really mind certain bad movies as long as they hit the right atmosphere/feeling (for example, judge dredd, yes the one with stallone)

« Reply #874 on: April 13, 2020, 08:10:28 am »
yeah i did enjoy them! i agree that there were a lot of really stupid things in Prometheus in terms of the story, but i really like the atmosphere and the world. i don't really mind certain bad movies as long as they hit the right atmosphere/feeling (for example, judge dredd, yes the one with stallone)

Yeh, to me that's the difference between a good film and an amazing film.  If the story had matched the atmosphere it would have been amazing.  It's also a film that wants to be taken seriously given Scott's previous films, if you see what I mean.  Like The Fifth Element, which is a kind of jokey sci-fi so you don't really judge it even though the atmosphere of the world is good and it's enjoyable to watch.  Did you watch Bladerunner 2049?  That has a lovely atmosphere and the story is fairly tight too. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #875 on: April 13, 2020, 08:25:14 am »
Time to Hunt (사냥의 시간) was supposed to come out last Friday but there's been a court injunction and mediation between the distributors and Netflix.

I was gonna watch it in February (along with the Black and White release of Parasite) but the virus pushed these back. NF bought the rights to TTH and I was really pumped to see this, especially with subs, which I wouldn't have had in the cinema.

And now? Who knows........... delayed again. God dammit. I'm going to Ansan Aladdin bookstore to pick up Zodiac: Director's Cut on Blu-ray tonight to console myself.

« Reply #876 on: April 13, 2020, 08:26:54 am »
Black and White release of Parasite

Why would they do this?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #877 on: April 13, 2020, 08:35:28 am »
Alien 3, the director's cut, is much better than the butchered theater released version.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #878 on: April 13, 2020, 08:39:09 am »
Why would they do this?

I saw Mother (2009) like this and it was really cool. Gives it a different feel. Like a blast from the past. Mother takes place in the super country side anyway so it looks like it's from days of yore anyway.

The Mist did this in their Deluxe Edition DVD release. B/W felt much more like a 60s horror movie and the original cut feels like a 70s one.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #879 on: April 13, 2020, 08:43:08 am »
Alien 3, the director's cut, is much better than the butchered theater released version.
good to know! i'll make sure to check out the director's cut

Did you watch Bladerunner 2049?
of course. big fan!