Read 151847 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #720 on: December 20, 2019, 10:50:16 pm »
started off as a book series

made into a game series

the tv series is based on the books

just watched the marriage story- a really great netflix movie

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #721 on: December 21, 2019, 12:13:21 am »
Movies I am NOT watching...

1. The newest Star Wars.

Why? Because I walked out of the last Star Wars movie after 40 minutes, disgusted... unfathomable!!!! I would have said way back after the first three Star Wars movies of my youth. I went to the original premiere of the first Star Wars movie THREE times on opening weekend and was sent to the hall by my elementary school teacher (who hadn't seen it yet) for my incessant chatter about it in elementary school on Monday morning.

2. Nicolas Cage's next film that doesn't have a half-decent critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes. I am a lifelong HUGE Cage fan. I had to stop watching his 2019 Grand Isle halfway through. It was so bad. There have been a lot of eye rollers from him i have sat through in recent years. No more. I'd rather watch Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, Con Air, Face/Off, Snake Eyes, Windtalkers, 8 MM, Lord of War, The Wicker Man, Bad Lieutenant or The Family Man 100 times rather than watch once again most of his films of the last decade, from Ghost Rider to Grand Isle. Ugh.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #722 on: December 23, 2019, 06:15:31 am »
I recently watched:

* Most of 'The Thin red line'
* Cat Ballou (from the 1960's)

By the way, I'm putting together a DVD collection of all my favourite movies and a few more.   Please see news story below.

"We are at the mercy of streaming services. It's time to rekindle our relationship with the DVD"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-23/streaming-services-mirage-for-film-lovers-bring-back-the-dvd/11805558
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 06:54:14 am by raysmith »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #723 on: December 23, 2019, 09:58:13 am »
knives out was great. watched it this weekend and really enjoyed it. there was a little dip in excitement in the middle, but overall it was a super fun move.

i watched 5 episodes of the witcher yesterday and really liked it. i imagine it'd be a little harder to appreciate without prior knowledge of the characters or world, but my girlfriend was super into it too so idk.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #724 on: December 23, 2019, 11:20:56 am »
I didn't know anything about 6 Underground but figured it was some caper movie that would be alright.  I turned it off after about 20 minutes.  Incredibly bad dialogue and just over the top action scenes.  I was actually embarrassed to be watching it.  I think it's target audience would be 13-14 year old boys and no one else.  God awful.  I watched Cool Hand Luke after to gain back some esteem. 

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #725 on: December 23, 2019, 01:14:36 pm »
I didn't know anything about 6 Underground but figured it was some caper movie that would be alright.  I turned it off after about 20 minutes.  Incredibly bad dialogue and just over the top action scenes.  I was actually embarrassed to be watching it.  I think it's target audience would be 13-14 year old boys and no one else.  God awful.  I watched Cool Hand Luke after to gain back some esteem. 

It's a Michael Bay movie. Even the helicopter sounds in this one was a straight copy from Transformers. That said, it was an alright action movie to enjoy beers over.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #726 on: December 23, 2019, 01:20:03 pm »
I recently watched:

* Most of 'The Thin red line'
* Cat Ballou (from the 1960's)

By the way, I'm putting together a DVD collection of all my favourite movies and a few more.   Please see news story below.

"We are at the mercy of streaming services. It's time to rekindle our relationship with the DVD"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-23/streaming-services-mirage-for-film-lovers-bring-back-the-dvd/11805558
it's time to start torrenting again really. i'll happily pay for 1 streaming service, but i'm not paying for 3+

• bb459
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2019, 06:19:42 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #727 on: December 23, 2019, 02:41:43 pm »
Peanut Butter Falcon

Watched it last week. Loved it!
Casting was perfect and Shia Labeouf nailed it.

« Reply #728 on: December 23, 2019, 05:13:47 pm »
Just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood: really liked it - very entertaining all the way through and the O Henry-ish ending was GREAT!

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #729 on: December 23, 2019, 05:19:06 pm »
. Nicolas Cage's next film

I watched it and it is better than people make it out to be. It's in the style of that other drugs movie set in Canada where this ordinary Joe starts offing people in the cartel because his son is killed by them. Some reviews mentioned they liked Queen of the South better, so I started watching that, but somehow the whole female protagonist thing hasn't gotten me convinced yet, but I'm only at episode 2.

I would have much rather had Cage play in that TV show for 5 seasons than having to watch this lady on high heels unconvincingly run a cartel.
incumbo studiis

« Reply #730 on: December 23, 2019, 07:24:26 pm »
Just watched FX's new reboot of A Christmas Carol.  Very dark, rated TV-MA.  Complete with F-bombs, nudity, sexual violence, death.......  Definitely a totally original take.

• alexisalex
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 02, 2014, 05:10:24 pm
« Reply #731 on: December 23, 2019, 07:46:30 pm »
Watched all of "Don't f*ck with cats" on Netflix tonight.  Absolutely brilliant!!

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #732 on: January 03, 2020, 10:00:48 am »
Didn't watch, but this is a movie discussion......... .........

Looking at the CGV schedule for the weekend. The Queen's Corgi......... Hmmmmmm, maybe I could see that in the morning with GF and her daughter.
Oh, wow. A rare ZERO PERCENT rating on RT. Why?

Well, apparently, Trump's dog comes to England with him and tries to sexually assault one of the girl Corgis?

And then a male Corgi bites Trump's dog's dick?????????

It really isn't for kids, evidently. It's dubbed, too, which only gets put on movies for kids here. Feel bad for all the parents and kids who have to watch this POS.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #733 on: January 04, 2020, 06:57:09 am »
Star wars 5/10.
incumbo studiis

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #734 on: January 04, 2020, 10:58:24 am »
Star wars 5/10.

Is that a rating?  I watched it on line the other day.....personally, I think both Guardians of the Galaxy movies are much better than the this last SW.  I was disappointed, but not surprisingly so. 

I could say more but there are folks who have not wasted their money on the movie yet...don't want to spoil what already sucks.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #735 on: January 04, 2020, 05:02:46 pm »
Yeah, is it me or are there more and more female protagonists in movies without any real obvious reason? A female Jedi, more powerful than anyone, making out with her sworn enemy? It was just an orgasm of new vehicles (toys) and chases and some samurai getting off'd by light swords?
incumbo studiis

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #736 on: January 04, 2020, 05:15:39 pm »
Yeah, it is ridiculous. 

How long did it take Luke to learn (albeit, slowly) how make is light-saber come to him (Empire Strikes Back, in the snow cave, while he was a hanging upside down)?  He puts up a respectable fight with Vader but still gets whipped. 

Then...we have the female, who not only beats KLR in the Force Awakens ....but goes on to do all the things that Yoda could do.....rubbish window dressing , of the worst flavor. 

..event he light-saber duels sucked..BIG TIME.

In fact, I'd rather watch all of the Avengers movies, back to back...then choke down the latest three SW's installments. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 07:16:19 pm by NorthStar »

« Reply #737 on: January 06, 2020, 07:19:51 am »
Was waiting for a decent torrent of 'Ad Astra' which I found yesterday.  More out of curiosity than anything.  I have a bit of time at the weekends so downloaded it and watched it.  What a pile of crap.  I got bored after about 20 minutes.   >:(  These kinds of films, the Marvel stuff, and the Fast and Furious stuff is just dull, repetitive Hollywood crap.  For Hollywood now, I think it's best if we take off, nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #738 on: January 06, 2020, 07:30:01 am »
I watched Us for the first time yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. The only part that bothered me a little was the logistics problem (where did they come from? how did they get all those scissors?), but that didn't really take away from my overall enjoyment. I went to check what the consensus was on Rotten Tomatoes and I guess a lot of people didn't like it so much. Anyone here see it? What'd you think?

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #739 on: January 06, 2020, 07:35:23 am »
I watched Us for the first time yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. The only part that bothered me a little was the logistics problem (where did they come from? how did they get all those scissors?), but that didn't really take away from my overall enjoyment. I went to check what the consensus was on Rotten Tomatoes and I guess a lot of people didn't like it so much. Anyone here see it? What'd you think?

Yeah, as soon as I finished it, I said to myself "This has to be taken metaphorically."

The logistics, like you said, will NEVER make  sense. ahaha.

I saw it a second time, and I enjoyed it less. I still like it, but that punch after watching the first time was so strong. I like how Peele really just did whatever the hell he wanted. I love movies like this. Push and push and just go waayyy out there.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?