Read 151836 times

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #620 on: September 30, 2019, 01:21:04 pm »
I watched Inside Bill's Brain (Netflix).

I was disappointed...it seemed more of a puff piece, lacking tough questions about questionable narratives. 

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #621 on: September 30, 2019, 02:20:03 pm »
i watched once upon a time in hollywood this weekend. pulp fiction is one of my favorite movies, so naturally i enjoyed this one too. i'm not sure many other people in the theater liked it though. i think a few walked out early.

i also watched shutter island (needed a bit more leo), which i thought was better than most people said, and the girl with the dragon tattoo, which i also really liked!

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #622 on: September 30, 2019, 02:22:56 pm »
Watched 'The World's End' a couple of days ago.  Wanted a bit of lazy watching and realised after watching Simon Pegg's other stuff (Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead) that I hadn't seen this yet.   It was okay.  That's about it.  Like watching how much fun Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have on set in their bloopers.  Oh for the days of Spaced.... :laugh:

Skip to the end.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #623 on: September 30, 2019, 02:40:25 pm »
Got through some Daniel Day-Lewis movies: Lincoln and There Will Be Blood. Cracking movies.

Always need complete focus for his acting tour-de-force.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #624 on: September 30, 2019, 02:50:47 pm »
and the girl with the dragon tattoo, which i also really liked!
Fincher or Swede?
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #625 on: September 30, 2019, 02:55:10 pm »
Watched 'The World's End' a couple of days ago.  Wanted a bit of lazy watching and realised after watching Simon Pegg's other stuff (Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead) that I hadn't seen this yet.   It was okay.  That's about it.  Like watching how much fun Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have on set in their bloopers.  Oh for the days of Spaced.... :laugh:

Skip to the end.

:wink:

Got through some Daniel Day-Lewis movies: Lincoln and There Will Be Blood. Cracking movies.

'There will be Blood' was number one in the subjective 'Guardian's best films of the 21st Century' they published a few weeks back.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century

Happy to see 'Shoplifters' at 16, 'A Separation' at 36 and '4 months, 3 weeks and 2 days' at 42.

« Reply #626 on: September 30, 2019, 03:01:18 pm »

He's super method, or so I've read.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #627 on: September 30, 2019, 03:09:50 pm »
and the girl with the dragon tattoo, which i also really liked!
Fincher or Swede?

fincher

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #628 on: September 30, 2019, 07:48:29 pm »

that's one of my all time favourites

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #630 on: October 01, 2019, 07:51:52 am »
i watched once upon a time in hollywood this weekend. pulp fiction is one of my favorite movies, so naturally i enjoyed this one too. i'm not sure many other people in the theater liked it though. i think a few walked out early.

i also watched shutter island (needed a bit more leo), which i thought was better than most people said, and the girl with the dragon tattoo, which i also really liked!

I also noticed people walk out of this one. Koreans are generally impatient and expect "something" to happen quickly during movies. I can see how they would have gotten frustrated here. All the 60s references would have also gone past their head.
I thought it was a fantastic movie.

« Reply #631 on: October 01, 2019, 08:06:14 am »
No one walked out of my theater, but it was sparse, and I could tell a lot of them didn't think much of the film once it was over.

I don't think they really know pulp fiction here, and yeah, a lot got lost in translation. Most of the humor in this movie was tied into knowing your references and the culture attached to them, with some of it being really obscure.

I still remember the mass confusion over the Annabelle Creation ending. Pretty sure a bunch of them googled it when they got home, lol.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:07:53 am by Chinguetti »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #632 on: October 01, 2019, 08:28:45 am »
I went first thing Saturday morning and it was just me and what looked like a triple date group, and 2 or 3 randoms. The triple date group left at about the 90 minute mark.

I notice a lot of walk outs in Korea. But I'm not sure if it's because I always try to go to early morning showings and it's always about 10 people max in the theater. Whereas back home I don't think i ever went to a movie that was so empty that anyone leaving was so conspicuous,

The best walk out was at Scorsese's Silence. It looked like a teen church youth group. They really struggled and did a mass walk out before the priest even renounced. Which is a shame as it's one of the most beautiful reflections on faith ever put to film and they would may have gained something from it.
At Bladerunner 2049 it was me and one other person. And he walked out within an hour. Whole cinema to myself.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• fka
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #633 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:55 am »
I witnessed a pretty spectacular walk-out during Suspiria (the 2018 version) a few months ago, performed by a group of churchy-looking elders. What compelled them to buy tickets to a 3-hour occult-themed arthouse horror film set in 1970s Berlin I'll never understand. They made it about halfway through, but not without lots of gasping and muttering before the collective exit. Shame they didn't get to see the finale...

The other weird thing is that we were at Arthouse Momo, on the Ehwa Women's University campus, which is not all that easy a place to reach. In other words, if you want to see a film there, you need to work at it a little bit, making the random appearance of this crowd all the more mysterious.

Conversely, I once went to a screening of Blue Velvet at 11am on a Sunday morning, and it was packed. The demographics were quite diverse (solo film students, professorial types, random old people, groups of friends) and nobody walked out.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #634 on: October 01, 2019, 09:34:41 am »
I have never, ever walked out on a movie.

Even Street Fighter: The Rise of Chun Li, which is the worst movie I have ever seen.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Busan
    more
« Reply #635 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:20 am »
I have never, ever walked out on a movie.

Even Street Fighter: The Rise of Chun Li, which is the worst movie I have ever seen.

same. even if a movie is bad i want to stay until the end to properly complain.

side note: i love the original jcvd street fighter movie. it's part of a group of bad movies that i really love (judge dredd, mortal kombat, etc)

« Reply #636 on: October 01, 2019, 09:59:32 am »
Koreans are generally impatient and expect "something" to happen quickly during movies.

I remember watching '12 Years a Slave' on the second night it came out in an 8pm showing and there was only me and about five others watching it.  After that, I gathered that Koreans like bright shiny things.   :undecided:

« Reply #637 on: October 01, 2019, 10:49:09 am »
Koreans are generally impatient and expect "something" to happen quickly during movies.

I remember watching '12 Years a Slave' on the second night it came out in an 8pm showing and there was only me and about five others watching it.  After that, I gathered that Koreans like bright shiny things.   :undecided:
Plan b: And yet if you look at a lot of Korean films, many of them are really slow and are also longer in length.

RO: Love the "They don't like what I like, so there must be something defective with them" logic. It couldn't be the fact that they have zero connection to the African slave trade either as captors or oppressors. Did it ever occur to you that your conclusions might be overly judgmental and poorly reasoned?

Would you go see some Korean film about the Japanese occupation? Perhaps. Or you might go "Yet another story about Japan, pass." It doesn't hold the same emotional weight.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #638 on: October 01, 2019, 11:15:27 am »
Speaking as an oppressor directly involved in the 150 year old Atlantic slave trade, I also thought that movie was a bit on the slow side
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:17:27 am by stoat »

« Reply #639 on: October 01, 2019, 11:19:03 am »

Plan b: And yet if you look at a lot of Korean films, many of them are really slow and are also longer in length.

RO: Love the "They don't like what I like, so there must be something defective with them" logic. It couldn't be the fact that they have zero connection to the African slave trade either as captors or oppressors. Did it ever occur to you that your conclusions might be overly judgmental and poorly reasoned?

Would you go see some Korean film about the Japanese occupation? Perhaps. Or you might go "Yet another story about Japan, pass." It doesn't hold the same emotional weight.

Oh boy!  Demartian is back!!  Yes, I would go and watch a Korean film about Japanese occupation, it's just that most Korean films outside of Seoul don't have English subs!  :undecided:  I think Korean cinema is excellent.  I can understand Korean to a good extent, but to watch and follow a film in a foreign language with no subs and to totally get it, is another level. 

Also, I never said they don't like what I like.  How would I know that I'd like it before I saw it?  Surely, that's the process of going to films.  You watch it, think about it, decide if you like it or not,  walk out if you think it's shit.  Done.  I mentioned that the theatre was basically empty for a newly opened film that had received rave reviews.  Lack of curiosity on their part?  Probably.  A new 'Marvel' film comes out each month?  It's packed.  Shiny things!  Also, I have zero connection to the slave trade either, so what's your point?  Koreans have no connection to be invaded by zombies, but it doesn't stop them flocking to see those kinds of films.  Like the music discussion, they are subjective, people have their opinions, but that doesn't stop you pontificating.   :rolleyes: