Read 151851 times

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #600 on: July 10, 2019, 08:33:48 pm »
I did a search but no mention of Burning / 버닝? Surely it has been mentioned. Drama about a young country kid who runs into an old female classmate. She introduces him to a rich, mysterious friend she met while abroad (played by that korean guy from walking dead). Saw this the other night. Don't want to say too much about it, but it's a melancholy tale. Has left a lingering impression. Apparently is was a 2018 flick so may have missed the boat with the fanfare. Thoughts?

Great slow burn, and Yoo Ain is really understated in this movie. All the acting in this movie is really good.

This movie shouldn't be as good as it is. It's really slow and it just isn't that interesting. But for some reason it works and it's really good. I'm still trying to figure it out. I mean, I can watch paint dry if it's filmed properly, hahaha.,

If any of you haven't seen this, see it. Really good. I say that it's slow and not interesting, but I mean that how it should be, but it isn't? Impossible to explain. haha
That's a good way to put it. I like how this guy just kind of floats through life, the whole dreariness is captured well. haha yeah doesn't sound exciting but the whole no frills style, letting the scenes speak for themselves is really absorbing... for some reason

« Reply #601 on: July 10, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »
Things I've watched (and actually finished) in the last month or so but didn't mention before:

Missing Link (that new stop-motion animation)
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Everything Must Go (starring Will Ferrell, drama/dark humor)
I Remember You (Icelandic mystery-horror film)
How It Ends (starring Forest Whitaker)
The Ritual
Hardcore Henry

They were all between okay to good, nothing that I would consider bad or boring. Except for Hardcore Henry, I had a hard time finishing this one, but I needed to see it through for reasons.

Trying to get through Stranger Things, season 2. It's a good show, I just have a hard time sitting through series that depend a lot on drama between characters. Like, investigate the ****** monster, please, I don't really want to watch how Nancy and whatshisface are going to work through their relationship.
Was it the shaky cam style of Hardcore Henry that got to you or something else? I thought it was awesome, innovative and funny as heck.

« Reply #602 on: July 11, 2019, 09:18:46 am »
Was it the shaky cam style of Hardcore Henry that got to you or something else? I thought it was awesome, innovative and funny as heck.

Partly, I'm not a fan of that style in general but understand why it's used in some instances and know that this was absolutely necessary for the premise of this particular film.

But I also couldn't take the terrible writing. The movie wasn't meant to be a story-telling masterpiece, it was meant to be a fun ride with an interesting but cheeky game-related perspective, and I respect that. But it really wasn't for me.

I don't consider it a bad movie, though, it just falls into the boring category for me. It got real old real fast.

Maybe I just need to watch it again while I'm not sleep deprived, though, I don't know.

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Uiwang
« Reply #603 on: July 19, 2019, 02:12:41 pm »
So.......... Interesting thing just happened to me.

You know that I see a lot of movies. So I'm always checking the CGV website for stuff, for the schedule. 

So I find a subsection of the Art Film section.  뉴트로시네마. I look in there. Oh, cool a documentary about typewriters. Grab a ticket.

But there's another one.  Long Day's Journey into Night. Look it up.

"Hmmmmmmmmm, it's either the 1962 Katherine Hepburn version or it's the 1996 Canadian version. But which one?"

I see the little tiny poster for it on the website. There's a woman looking away in a green dress. Well, the Katherine Hepburn one is in Black and White, so it PROBABLY isn't that one.

"I'll see a Canadian movie, why not?" *buys ticket*

Boy, I was WAY OFF.

It's a 2018 Chinese movie. Now, dig this. It's 138 mins. The first part is in 2D. Normal movie. And then the last 59 mins are in 3D and it's one uninterrupted long take.

I got a ticket and it's going to be madness!!!!!!!! I don't know Mandarin but who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I saw In the Realm of the Senses (1976/Japan) last week. I'd heard it was an erotic movie ages ago and when I was young, and bought whatever I wanted, I saw the Criterion Bluray and just couldn't justify the 45$ price tag. 

So I saw it in CGV last week.

JESUS. They're, like, actually doing it. 15 mins in he pulls out and, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

SPOILER WARNING: He finishes in her mouth. For real. On screen.

Good lord, that was an interesting 2 hours. Glad I went alone.
The first thing to say is that this is definitely not pyramid selling, OK?

« Reply #604 on: July 19, 2019, 02:19:58 pm »

SPOILER WARNING: He finishes in her mouth. For real. On screen.

Good lord, that was an interesting 2 hours. Glad I went alone.
It's the kind of movie you either see totally on drugs or totally not on drugs. The movie is a traumatic experience. You want to stop but you can't look away. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #605 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:30 pm »
It's the kind of movie you either see totally on drugs or totally not on drugs.   

What does this even mean???? hahahaha

You've just described everyone. Or did you mean. "Don't take a little bit of drugs.......... TAKE A TONNE?"

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #606 on: August 04, 2019, 12:48:18 pm »
Don't see Exit (엑시트)

The only reason I saw it was because someone said that it was filmed with IMAX cameras. So, I thought "Cool. Even if it's not great, I'll see a Korean movie in Yongsan IMAX with the whole screen.

Spoiler! It's not filmed in IMAX. So it was in 16:9 the whole time. Which is fine if I HAD KNOWN ABOUT THAT PRIOR AND NOT GOTTEN HYPED UP FOR IT.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 here. Amazing. Us? Amazing. A dozen other movies that weren't filmed with IMAX cameras. It's fine.

Please, for theove of Christ, learn the difference between Filmed in IMAX and "Hey, it's showing on the IMAX screen. That screen is big."

Regarding the movie? The most clichéd, average movie I've ever seen. And cheesy, good lord.

I don't know Korean and I understood everything. That's how simple this movie is.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #607 on: August 04, 2019, 11:48:35 pm »
Hobbs & Stubbs, or something of the like.
EDIT: Not Stubbs, Shaw. Ugh.

I went to fmovies website and clicked it impulsively...

It's about equivalent to a middle of the pack Fast & the Furious, not one of the few good ones.

It's better than some Mission Impossible movies, but nowhere as good as the last one.

There are better and worse Bourne Identity movies.

I enjoyed a few moments but was eh overall.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:52:20 pm by VanIslander »

« Reply #608 on: September 23, 2019, 07:27:03 am »
Yesterday, saw a Danish film called 'Jagten' (The Hunt) with Mads Mikkelsen.  Quite amazing given the subject content.  Doubt another country could have done something similar. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106476/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #609 on: September 23, 2019, 07:38:34 am »
Saw Under The Silver Lake last night.

David Lynch meets Code Breakers and Hipsters in a comedy as a love letter to LA.

It was really, really interesting and no one has seen it.

Same director as It Follows and stars Andrew Garfield (who is really good in this).

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #610 on: September 23, 2019, 07:50:21 am »
watched Ad Astra yesterday. good stuff. reminded me a bit of Sunshine (also good). the physics/science were a little iffy, but the film as a whole was great

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #611 on: September 23, 2019, 07:59:00 am »
watched Ad Astra yesterday. good stuff. reminded me a bit of Sunshine (also good). the physics/science were a little iffy, but the film as a whole was great
Saw it on Friday. Reminded me of Apocalypse Now, but in space. Man on a mission to get an unhinged, disgraced hero. Pit(t) stops along the way................ .............

Great visuals, score was great. Brad Pitt is one of the best working actors of the last 25 years. He is really underrated. Popular, yes but I don't think he gets near enough respect as an acting talent.

« Reply #612 on: September 23, 2019, 08:00:02 am »

On 'my things to watch list', just out of interest.  When it comes to bad science/physics, I compare most films to 'The Core'.  We had a science week at my middle school years ago and the 'science' teachers showed it to the students as it was 'scientific'.   :rolleyes:  Like showing 'Fast and Furious 6' to students interested in learning about runways, planes and airports.   :rolleyes:

« Reply #613 on: September 23, 2019, 08:02:57 am »
Brad Pitt is one of the best working actors of the last 25 years. He is really underrated. Popular, yes but I don't think he gets near enough respect as an acting talent.

Definitely.  Seeing him in '12 Monkeys' showed his talent.  Like DiCaprio in 'What's eating Gilbert Grape?'.  That was something else. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #614 on: September 23, 2019, 11:28:22 am »
Saw it on Friday. Reminded me of Apocalypse Now, but in space. Man on a mission to get an unhinged, disgraced hero. Pit(t) stops along the way................ .............

Great visuals, score was great. Brad Pitt is one of the best working actors of the last 25 years. He is really underrated. Popular, yes but I don't think he gets near enough respect as an acting talent.

i think brad pitt's one of the best actors out there, yeah. looking forward to the new tatantino mvie too.

On 'my things to watch list', just out of interest.  When it comes to bad science/physics, I compare most films to 'The Core'.  We had a science week at my middle school years ago and the 'science' teachers showed it to the students as it was 'scientific'.   :rolleyes:  Like showing 'Fast and Furious 6' to students interested in learning about runways, planes and airports.   :rolleyes:

they could have changed just a few small things in the movie to make it more credible imo. it's a shame because they had some cool world-building, but some unnecessarily silly physics

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #615 on: September 23, 2019, 01:16:18 pm »

they could have changed just a few small things in the movie to make it more credible imo. it's a shame because they had some cool world-building, but some unnecessarily silly physics
The science was so bad that I rage quit "The Core".
 But then I had to go watch it again in its entirety so that I could rail against it more effectively.

Sunshine had some dubious science in it as well (all the fissionable material in Earth lobbed into the sun would do exactly nothing), but at least the acting was stellar (pun), the scenes were beautiful, and the plot compelling.
   The Core just sucked.  >:(

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Uiwang
« Reply #616 on: September 26, 2019, 02:25:31 pm »
Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on Tuesday.

I walked out thinking, "Yeah that was really good."

But I keep thinking about it and hot damn, that movie is so bleeding good. Not a masterpiece,  but a very deserved 8.5/10

« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2019, 09:02:35 am »
Watched 'The World's End' a couple of days ago.  Wanted a bit of lazy watching and realised after watching Simon Pegg's other stuff (Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead) that I hadn't seen this yet.   It was okay.  That's about it.  Like watching how much fun Simon Pegg and Nick Frost have on set in their bloopers.  Oh for the days of Spaced.... :laugh:

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2019, 09:20:52 am »

The science was so bad that I rage quit "The Core".
 But then I had to go watch it again in its entirety so that I could rail against it more effectively.

Sunshine had some dubious science in it as well (all the fissionable material in Earth lobbed into the sun would do exactly nothing), but at least the acting was stellar (pun), the scenes were beautiful, and the plot compelling.
   The Core just sucked.  >:(

yeah true. i guess i don't mind bad science as long as it seems plausible within the logic of the movie. i don't want to come away thinking "well that's just dumb ffs"

actually, this is why i like the expanse books. believeable science and it really captures the vastness of space, and the potential problems humans might have navigating it in the future.

« Reply #619 on: September 30, 2019, 12:42:57 pm »
Watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" last night.

I went in not knowing what the movie was about at all.

It's very Tarantino, lol. Was kind of surprised by where he took it, but I should have known better.