Read 99844 times

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:19 pm »
Just went through a doco phase.

Senna - F1 legend. Still good even if you don't like F1
The interrupters- some fairly brave people trying to stop violence in Chicago.
Project Nim- all about what happens when scientists try to teach a chimpanzee sign language in the 70's
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 02:22:29 pm »
I second "Senna" - great flick! 

I'll check out Project Nim this weekend.

• sprkmimi
  • Explorer

• March 23, 2012, 03:34:22 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 03:43:11 pm »
I recommend watching the Korean movie My Sassy Girl! Definitely one of the more popular Korean movies.

• Wigfield
  • Adventurer

• September 26, 2010, 03:23:00 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:37 am »
I'd recommend "We Need to Talk About Kevin". Tilda Swinton is amazing in it and her son's character gave me chills.

Yeah, that was a good flick.

I watched Snowtown last night (known in the US as The Snowtown Murders) and it was equal parts riveting and disturbing. Amazing central performance for the guy playing John Bunting (Daniel Henshall, I think) but some of what was going on was slightly confusing (I had to read up on the film afterward just to clarify the details of one or two chracters), though that may be down to some background noise distracting me when I was trying to watch it.

Anyhoo, We Need to Talk ABout Kevin and Snowtown could make for a rather devastating feel-bad double-bill of bleak brutality, if you're into that sort of thing.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2012, 10:00:14 am »
With the NHL payoffs around the corner, and hoping for a Boston Bruins repeat, I watched Slapshot last night. It's still a hockey classic!
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 08:29:53 am »
I made the mistake of watching Wrong Turn 2 while eating my dinner lol.
In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2012, 10:45:41 pm »
I saw MARLEY the other night. An excellent doc!!
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 10:56:53 am »
last movie i watched was "The Hunger Games" and it was just meh...

• Warra
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 08:10:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 11:16:05 am »
If you're into comedies or otherwise DO NOT make the mistake of watching "the sitter" with Jonah Hill.
Very disappointing. Excited for 21 Jump Street though, and the new Will Ferrel film.

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2012, 07:41:32 am »
Just watched Avengers last weekend and it was AWESOME!
You'll love the action sequences, esp. if you're a comic-book fan like I am.
Joss Whedon (Buffy/Angel) is the best director for comic-book based movies! (And Nolan too on TDK).

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2012, 07:47:16 am »
Avengers was indeed awesome.  8) I'm thinking about seeing it again this weekend.

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2012, 07:53:34 am »
I saw hunger games and avengers and I think avengers was better. The hunger games had one scene that was especially sad and well done but Avengers was more entertaining in terms of extremes. There was a bit of a lull between a quarter and a half through it but it was well scripted and I liked the juggling of characters. Oh! Also, the weaves between characters in the action shots (one take weaves) were reaallyy cool. It made it really seem like a complex battle. My last note is that Avengers is super American Action film. Everything is over the top and flashy (and big battle in NYC). I really liked that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:58:59 am by Chadwickhhs »

• Sprite06
  • Featured Contributor

• September 22, 2010, 11:21:29 am
    • Daegu
    more
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2012, 08:12:11 am »
I watched the Korean movie Quick recently.  (퀵)

I recommend it if you like action comedies.  It was well done.

http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Quick.php

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2012, 08:24:54 am »
I watched the Korean movie Quick recently.  (퀵)

I recommend it if you like action comedies.  It was well done.

http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_Quick.php

great movie! especially since one of the chase sequences took place in myeongdong... i like to imagine lee minggi flattening people there with a motorcycle on a sunday.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:00 am »
I'm slowly and inconsistently making my way through imdb.com's top 250 movies. I haven't watched too many lately, since I've been busy with the NHL playoffs, but I watched "Kind Hearts and Coronets" (1949) last night--it was pretty funny--and "Network" (1976) the other day, which I enjoyed a lot.

« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:13 am »
For film buffs who miss netflix... you may want to check out mubi.com. You can stream a bunch of obscure films on there, some are free, some you can pay to stream once, or you can get a monthly subscription for 5.99/month. I saw a really cool doc on there the other night called 'Young Yakuza'. Check it out.

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2012, 10:30:47 am »
The Day of the Jackal (1973)

This was a really intense movie about an assassination attempt on Charles De Gaulle.  Excellent acting and cinematography.

IMDB review:
One of the finest thrillers ever made, 15 May 2001

Author: dgriffiths from Leicester, England
The opening five minutes of the film are a marvel. Almost completely devoid of dialogue the scenes portray visually more story than most modern thrillers can fit into two hours. This is about the best book-to-film conversion I've ever seen. The cuts, where they are made, are logical and some locations are combined. From Forsyth's first, and probably best book (written in less than 5 weeks) this film contains nothing that does not drive the story forward. The character of the Jackal is brilliantly finely drawn. He doesn't contain any of the cliches that you would expect to see in a film written in the last twenty years (he doesn't display mental instability, or have flashbacks to some event in his past). He never tries to justify his pernicious occupation to anyone yet, strangely, doesn't come across as an evil man. Simply as a professional doing his job. The French police inspector is wonderfully underplayed and is as far away from the he-breaks-the-rules-but-he-gets-the-job-done cliche as you can possibly imagine. He is first seen attending to his pigeons and upon being told he is being put on the case simply says "Oh God..."....

Zimmemann's direction is great and the scenes are beautifully photographed - particularly in Paris.

This is an all-time great film. Definitely in my top ten. I suppose I must put something in negative so it makes for a balanced review so errr.... I think the French minister is wearing a very bad wig. Beyond that -marvelous.

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2012, 12:06:22 pm »
Like other people said... AVENGERS!! I saw last week. Now I am going back and watching all of the Avengers movies ie. Iron Man (1&2), Captain America, Thor and The Hulk. I have seen them all before but wanted to watch them again. I also realized I missed things in the movies, like Hawkeye being in Thor! If you haven't seen them, I suggest watching all of these movies and then seeing The Avengers!

• tomcarr
  • Waygookin

• May 02, 2012, 08:56:10 am
    • seoul south korea
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 08:57:42 am »
I saw a really awesome Korean movie called Chaser. I think the Korean title is Chukyokja or something like that. Best movie I've seen in a while.

« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2012, 01:27:08 pm »
Recently saw 'Salt' which was a nice surprise as I expected it to be very poor.  Also "The Grey' which was okay.  Both kinda b-movies that suprised me by being better than I'd imagined they would.

'Shanghai Kiss' was a nice Asian take on the 'neurotic, post modern youth experience.'  Kind of 2000's youth does Woody Allen with Asian flavour.'

Saw Allen's 'Shadows and Fog' the other week, which was a joy.

Next on the list is 'The Skin I live in.'