Read 99862 times

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2019, 11:06:23 am »
Wait - are we  thinking of the same movie? I... don't remember anything like that in the Hollywood version.

You're thinking of Fincher's movie. Which is really good.

I'm talking aboat the one from last year, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_in_the_Spider%27s_Web_(film)

Rofl what? I didn't even know this existed. And... it definitely doesn't need to exist. The Fincher one was great.

« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2019, 04:32:53 am »
The Fincher one doesn't need to exist either. Just watch the original Swedish one.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #482 on: February 15, 2019, 01:50:24 pm »
   I just watched "How to Train your Dragon: 3", and thought it was excellent.
   While there were a few plot holes (how do have a waterfall in the middle of the north Atlantic Ocean without filling up the magical undersea caverns?), the CGI was pretty amazing. When the protagonists first find the secret hidden lands of the dragons and fly through, I was strongly reminded of some of the flying scenes in Avatar.

I'm also really looking forward to the remake of "Pet Sematary". I loved the original way back in the day, and I feel that the new one is going to be comparatively awful, but nostalgia won't let me pass it over. And I didn't think that the new "It" was overly bad, so hopefully that's a good sign.

As for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I've seen both versions and thought they were all pretty good (I'm easily entertained), but that the original one was definitely better. I feel that characters like that lose something when you cast well-known actors for them.  :undecided:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 01:52:31 pm by kyndo »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #483 on: February 15, 2019, 02:06:19 pm »
   While there were a few plot holes (how do have a waterfall in the middle of the north Atlantic Ocean without filling up the magical undersea caverns?)
This annoyed me so much. WHERE DOES THE WATER GO?????

As for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I've seen both versions and thought they were all pretty good (I'm easily entertained), but that the original one was definitely better. I feel that characters like that lose something when you cast well-known actors for them.  :undecided:
Yeah, they're both good. It angers me when people say the remake was bad. Like, no. If you want to argue that it was unnecessary, I can get that. But the movie is good.

Just because the original is better, that doesn't mean the remake is shit.  :rolleyes:
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #484 on: February 20, 2019, 09:10:06 am »
Upcoming week is gonna be nuts.

20th(Tonight): Cold Pursuit (fukk you twitter mob)

21st: The House That Jack Built (Lars Von Trier is always an interesting watch)

23rd: The Favourite (again)

24th: First Reformed (Paul Schrader screenplay :-) He did Taxi Driver and Raging Bull)

25th: Papillon 2017 (Get to see Rami on the big screen, Mr. Robot is a great show)

3/3: Vice (love Sam Rockwell and The Big Short was a fun, fast paced acting exercise)

The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #485 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:37 am »
   While there were a few plot holes (how do have a waterfall in the middle of the north Atlantic Ocean without filling up the magical undersea caverns?), the CGI was pretty amazing. When the protagonists first find the secret hidden lands of the dragons and fly through, I was strongly reminded of some of the flying scenes in Avatar.

Huh... I never even thought of that  :laugh:

But I guess it's hard to see all the plot holes when you're busy wiping tears away :lipsrsealed:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #486 on: February 20, 2019, 10:26:19 am »
Yeah, they're both good. It angers me when people say the remake was bad. Like, no. If you want to argue that it was unnecessary, I can get that. But the movie is good.

Just because the original is better, that doesn't mean the remake is shit.  :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I'd agree with this but casting well known actors made it more predictable. I love stellan skarsgard but it was pretty clear who the bad guy was as soon as I saw him lol. It was more of a mystery in the original.

As for movies i'm watching these days I saw 'isle of dogs' recently and loved it :). I'm a big Wes Anderson fan so I tend to enjoy everything he makes.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #487 on: February 20, 2019, 10:34:21 am »
I'd agree with this but casting well known actors made it more predictable. I love stellan skarsgard but it was pretty clear who the bad guy was as soon as I saw him lol. It was more of a mystery in the original.
Wait, if you saw the original then OF COURSE you'd know he was the bad guy. hahahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #488 on: February 20, 2019, 10:40:05 am »
Wait, if you saw the original then OF COURSE you'd know he was the bad guy. hahahaha

lol true but I didn't remember anyone's name so I think there still could have been some surprise or extra tension.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #489 on: March 02, 2019, 11:31:38 am »
Finally watched the original Swedish Millennium series over 3 days.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Stays truer to the original works (I guess) and lead actors are better and emotionally connected but I kind of preferred the direction of the remake.

The Girl Who Played with Fire. Continuation in feel of the series but not as good or complex as Dragon Tattoo.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. The worst in the series, lost a lot of the atmosphere and character development but still solid performances from the two leads.

Ranking (Best to worst):
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Remake)
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Swedish)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Swedish)
The Girl in the Spider's Web (Hollywood)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #490 on: March 02, 2019, 01:59:15 pm »
Earlier last year I watched Suspicion (1941), a film with real chemistry between the leads and a shocking violent bombing scene Hitch had been hesitant to include but did. It was during WWII and seemed apt, but is not typical Hitch style.

I think you may be confusing Suspicion and Notorious. Notorious usually gets better reviews but I prefer Suspicion. I like the way Grant and his bumbling mate undermine Joan Fontaine's trust. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a bomb in Suspicion
Sorry.. it was Sabotage (1936), filmed in England. It is so little known that I confused it with another.

Sabotage happens mostly at a movie theater, has the wife of the manager and a boy and the male lead inquisitively nearby.

Later in the film there is a shocking bombing, very unHitchesque.

I grew up thinking I'd seen every Hitchcock film so I was pleased as punch to unexpectedly come across and impulsively click that film.

It is supposedly loosely based on Joseph Conrad's The Secret Agent.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 02:01:40 pm by VanIslander »

• Oupa Grey
  • Adventurer

• January 29, 2019, 10:56:47 am
    more
« Reply #491 on: March 02, 2019, 07:57:23 pm »
I just watched Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse.

Never heard of it before and randomly watched it today - really enjoyed it! Blown away by how well it was done really.

« Reply #492 on: March 02, 2019, 11:34:22 pm »
Not watching movies per se, but am on Episode 6 of True Detective Season 3...!

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #493 on: March 28, 2019, 08:01:33 am »
Saw Us last night at Starium Yeongdeungpo for the Korean premiere.

Jesus, man. I loved that movie so much. I'm seeing it again at Yongsan IMAX this Saturday.

This movie is really, really great. This is a movie that pushes really hard into a new vision and a really unique concept and script.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #494 on: March 28, 2019, 08:16:42 am »
I saw "The Dirt" on Friday. The Motley Crue biopic. I read the book years ago and the movie just seemed so chopped up. The guy who played Vince Neil had no charisma whatsoever. I think I would have enjoyed it more if i didn't already  know so much about the band and had never read the book.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #495 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:42 am »

Jesus, man. I loved that movie so much. I'm seeing it again at Yongsan IMAX this Saturday.

This movie is really, really great. This is a movie that pushes really hard into a new vision and a really unique concept and script.

I've got tickets booked for Saturday night; can't wait!

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #496 on: March 28, 2019, 11:21:52 am »

I saw it last night, and I gotta say... I wasn't too impressed. I was enjoying it in the beginning but as the plot started to unfold and reveal what was really happening, I started to like it less and less. Plus, the twist at the end of the movie left me with mixed feelings.

It's full of plot holes and really weird concepts, but Jordan Peele really accomplishes what he sets out to do, which is make you ask questions.
The World Ends With You

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #497 on: March 28, 2019, 11:45:49 am »
It's full of plot holes and really weird concepts, but Jordan Peele really accomplishes what he sets out to do, which is make you ask questions.

I decided I've taken the entire thing at metaphor level. The whole concept makes no sense, hahaha.

I love movies that push too far and have some problems rather than a safe, by the numbers ALBEIT enjoyable movie.

I have no problems with Green Book, it's immensely enjoyable but I don't want to watch it again and analyse it. hahaha

This movie reminded me a lot of Richard Kelly's work, specifically Southland Tales and to a lesser degree The Box.

A lot of people are saying Shaymalan vibes, too, which is pretty spot on.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #498 on: March 31, 2019, 05:48:36 pm »
Just saw Arctic.

Great silent, visual storytelling with Mads Mikkelsen stuck in the Arctic.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #499 on: March 31, 2019, 06:22:17 pm »

I saw it last night, and I gotta say... I wasn't too impressed. I was enjoying it in the beginning but as the plot started to unfold and reveal what was really happening, I started to like it less and less. Plus, the twist at the end of the movie left me with mixed feelings.

Now that's really interesting because I didn't like it at all until the ending and the final reveal.

Up until that point it felt like just a rehashing of different horror/thriller films like You're Next or even the Dawn of the Dead remake from 2004.  All throughout the film I was thinking "why the hell is this getting such rave reviews"?

Then we get to the ending where we find out why and how which completely changed my mind.  Loved it!