Read 111123 times

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2013, 07:41:02 pm »
The Impossible was pretty bad, overall. I don't know why the story had to be about white people (considering they weren't based on white people).

The aspect of rich white people having something bad happen to them on their glorious beach resort vacation was captured well, though. Oh no, the poolside blender stopped working, a tsunami must be headed this way.
It was a human story and I loved it. We both cried watching it.

I cried for Amour. In comparison, The Impossible was a story about white people facing a tragedy that affected many more poor Thai people.
I was fully conscious of that.

You could watch the story and go away thinking 'why did those poor Thai ppl help the rich whities? They'll spend the rest of their lives in poverty and rich whitey will continue to rule the world'.

I asked that question.

But it was still a very human story and most humans can empathize with a rich man suffering or a poor man suffering. In the end, it was a story about overcoming amazing odds and the incredible power of relationships in the context of human fragility.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2013, 07:55:16 pm »
I disagree but, for once, it's actually a matter of personal taste we're discussing and whether or not we believe the film crew got the message across.

I feel it could have been an amazing survival story but, instead, they presented the fluke story of family reunion (after changing their ethnicity/race?) rather than the harrowing reality for most of the people involved. That's why I disliked it. I don't like making a hierarchy of suffering but... I don't know, it's the diamond in the rough that almost completely ignores the rough.

At the same time, I liked Amour for presenting an argument about euthanasia and hospice care to societies that largely fail their elderly.

I think I'll watch Flight tomorrow and hope it's intended message is as the synopsis says it is.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2013, 08:01:55 pm »
I liked Flight. So you probably won't.  :P

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »
Watching a movie looking for a particular message strikes me as a pretty horrible way to watch movies. Do you listen to Mozart piece expecting certain notes, which if not played warrant a dismissal of the piece as a whole?
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:10 pm »
Watching a movie looking for a particular message strikes me as a pretty horrible way to watch movies. Do you listen to Mozart piece expecting certain notes, which if not played warrant a dismissal of the piece as a whole?

I expect a movie about end of life hospice care to portray a message about end of life hospice care, just as I expected Snakes on a Plane to be a movie about snakes on a plane.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »
The Impossible was pretty bad, overall. I don't know why the story had to be about white people (considering they weren't based on white people).

The aspect of rich white people having something bad happen to them on their glorious beach resort vacation was captured well, though. Oh no, the poolside blender stopped working, a tsunami must be headed this way.
I agree. These blond hair, blue eyed rich people seem more important than other people of color. But blood runs the same, when you open the vein. (World Party)
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

« Reply #366 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:41 am »
Honest question (not about The Impossible).... do you have to be American to like Lincoln?
I was so excited to see the film as I will always love my welsh breadbin Daniel Day Lewis, but.... ahhhh.... mannnnn.... what happened?! The drama was built around whether or not the 13th amendment was passed, but as we obviously know it was, surely this kills so much of the dramatic tension?
"OMG Is this representative going to vote YAY?"........... Yes
As american people, which most of you will be, was it more about the examination of a great man's character? I thought I would see a bit more of his human side, but to me at least it seemed pretty flatline reverential. Maybe that is appropriate as he was a great man? I don't know. Sorry if this was covered previously.

Argo was great and led to many arguments between me and friends about whether it demonised the Iranian people in the current climate. This is always a sexy topic of conversation but after sitting through the sing-talking travesty Les Miserables (right?!) it was a breath of fresh air nonetheless

If you are in need of something to watch in these deskwarming days, like funny little movies that screw with your head, please get hold of Kill List

I knew some of the people on the production team and it just blew me away. It's billed as a hitman film but is more of a psychological horror, closer to The Wicker Man.
The film is incredibly tense, this builds and builds to a real skullf*ck of a crescendo, where you are left double-taking for a good while after it finishes (if you're anything like me)
I was literally gasping for air by the end and made sure all my doors and windows were locked. In KOREA no less
Be warned though, it is mainly in Cockney and Northern Irish accents so, like my friends, you may need subtitles on.
Cheers
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:28:48 am by WillisJones »

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #367 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:32 am »
I've heard quite a few people say that about Lincoln and I'm pretty disinterested, now.

But that means I'd have time to give Zero Dark Thirty a second chance  :cry:

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:11 am »
Kill List was my favourite film from last year!! Yeah it's pretty good... it's a mixture of different styles of film in one. It's drama, crime-drama, and horror all put together. It's billed as being a horror film but it really doesn't seem like it at times. I agree...the accents are hard to understand, especially in the first 20 mins or so, but it gets easier later on. Watch it with subtitles.

Hollywood always makes movies about white people in distress. Don't you know I only care about whites in danger??? I can't identify otherwise meeehhh

Yeah Lincoln was crap. There aren't any layers to his character, no other dimensions to who he is. The movie is more about the 13th amendment than him. I don't even think the 13th amendment issue was handled that well either. The high praise this film got from the critics really boggled my mind as it's really devoid of depth on the person. Hollywood just played it safe, to protect their great leader and what's sad is that this is the front runner for best picture this year. THis film gives the image of an epic drama but it's anything but.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #369 on: February 21, 2013, 01:00:05 am »

I expect a movie about end of life hospice care to portray a message about end of life hospice care, just as I expected Snakes on a Plane to be a movie about snakes on a plane.

You must have an aneurysm every time you find yourself in a museum of modern art.
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #370 on: February 21, 2013, 10:36:29 am »
Jrong, Flight was amazing. :3

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #371 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:04 am »
Why'd you like it?

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #372 on: February 21, 2013, 10:55:49 am »
Why'd you like it?

I'll PM you to prevent spoiling the movie for others.

« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2013, 11:04:14 am »

Yeah Lincoln was crap. There aren't any layers to his character, no other dimensions to who he is. The movie is more about the 13th amendment than him. I don't even think the 13th amendment issue was handled that well either. The high praise this film got from the critics really boggled my mind as it's really devoid of depth on the person. Hollywood just played it safe, to protect their great leader and what's sad is that this is the front runner for best picture this year. THis film gives the image of an epic drama but it's anything but.

yeah yeah yeah. Also I think because it's Daniel Day Lewis and he only makes a movie every 600 years Hollywood feels an obligation to shout from the rooftops about how great it is. It was so long. DGMW the story about how the 13th amendment came into passing IS interesting but jeez they could've chucked in some civil war battle scene in the middle just to make sure everyone in the theater were still alive.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2013, 04:09:10 pm »
^Sounds like another Argo to me. Nothing worse than being in a meeting than wasting over an hour of your life watching a movie about people in meetings. Thanks for the headsup. I torrented it but will now delete it.

• tokixjam
  • Veteran

• April 22, 2011, 08:27:07 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #375 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:59 pm »
I watched Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters.

It was a fun movie.  Not really good, but fun.

« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2013, 09:34:12 am »
Went to see The Berlin File last night. Man, I have the softest spot for spy flicks but so many are pure crap, it's unbelievable. The move was genuinely intriguing for the first 3/4. It had all the makings of a really thoughtful international espionage thriller with just enough action to keep it from feeling too weighty, but the last 30 minutes of the film just killed it for me. It simply devolved into a martial arts-style, personal revenge story.

Anyone who wants a truly awesome, cerebral, intelligent, and realistic, spy story (read: not James Bond or Jason Bourne, both of which I enjoy!), check out "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" with Gary Oldman. Truly stunning but takes some patience, I will admit.

« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2013, 10:34:10 am »
I watched Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters.

It was a fun movie.  Not really good, but fun.

I saw that yesterday! perfect cannon fodder for a tired waygook after partying in seoul. it was very very bad but if you check your ego at the door and go with a few friends its bloody hilarious.

"I WANT YOUR BRAINS!"

hahahahaha great script  :laugh:

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2013, 12:14:31 pm »
Smoke. Harvey Keitel, William Hurt, Forest Whitaker, lots of people. Ashley Judd debuted in it, I believe. Played a foul-mouthed drug addict. Choice.

Anyway, in it, the notion of seeing the world in a grain of sand is given illustration - except, in that movie, it's a street corner. Maybe you're not wanting to travel the world, but you've seen parts of Korea most don't and that matters to you.

And without a job, a residence or legal tender, that's what you're gonna be, man.

-- Vincent Vega (John Travolta), Pulp Fiction, 1994
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #379 on: February 27, 2013, 06:49:31 am »
it's going to be a busy month, here's what i just downloaded:  (some i'm rewatching some are new to me)

LAYER CAKE: 2004
A successful cocaine dealer gets two tough assignments from his boss on the eve of his planned early retirement. (105 mins.)

MESRINE - KILLER INSTINK & PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 1: (2 separate movies)
The story of notorious French gangster Jacques Mesrine. (133 mins.)

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA: 1984
A former Prohibition-era Jewish gangster returns to the Lower East Side of Manhattan over thirty years later, where he once again must confront the ghosts and regrets of his old life. (229 mins.)

STATE OF GRACE: 1990
Terry Noonan returns home to New York's Hells Kitchen after a ten year absence. He soon hooks up with... (134 mins.)

CLOCKERS:1995
  Young drug pushers in the projects of Brooklyn live hard dangerous lives, trapped between their drug bosses and the detectives out to stop them. (128 mins.)

ON THE WATERFRONT: 1954
An ex-prize fighter turned longshoreman struggles to stand up to his corrupt union bosses. (108 mins.)

GET CARTER: 1971
When his brother dies under mysterious circumstances in a car accident, London gangster Jack Carter travels to Newcastle to investigate. (112 mins.)

AMORES PERROS: 2000
A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love. (154 mins.)

TROPA DE ELITE:2007
1997, Captain Nascimento has to find a substitute for his occupation while trying to take down drug dealers and criminals before the Pope comes to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. (115 mins.)

25TH HOUR: 2002
Cornered by the DEA, convicted New York drug dealer Montgomery Brogan reevaluates his life in the 24 remaining hours before facing a seven-year jail term. (135 mins.)

ROAD TO PERDITION: 2002
Bonds of loyalty are put to the test when a hitman's son witnesses what his father does for a living. (117 mins.)

ELITE SQUAD THE ENEMY WITHIN: 2010
After a prison riot, former-Captain Nascimento, now a high ranking security officer in Rio de Janeiro, is swept into a bloody political dispute that involves government officials and paramilitary groups. (115 mins.)
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.