Read 99859 times

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2012, 01:17:26 am »
TAKEN 2 is ALREADY OUT IN KOREA!!!  It won't be released in US until Oct.5.

The Traffickers about a newly wed korean couple and China's organ harvesting industry based on a true story was riveting.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #201 on: October 10, 2012, 12:03:12 am »
I just watched 'Being Flynn', based on the memoirs of poet Nick Flynn entitled 'Another Bullshit Night in Suck City'.

It's very touching, bleak (almost morose), has some very dark comedy (unlike De Niro's recent movies), and has some excellent character actors. The editing and soundtrack are spot on, the narrative is engrossing and articulate, the continuity perfect, it's set in a New York City neighborhood with plenty of flavor, and the two leads play their parts with Oscar-worthy intensity. Personally I'm thrilled to see De Niro playing a part which requires more than a spoof representation and with a panache many actors won't achieve.

If you liked De Niro's earlier works you'll probably like this, but it's been a total flop at the box office so it may not appeal to everyone.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #202 on: October 10, 2012, 07:51:17 am »
i watched the original "alien" last night. i just got the anthology blu-ray, so i thought it would be a good idea to start at the beginning!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2012, 08:29:10 am »
I just finished watching the Sarah Pollo film "Take this Waltz". It stars Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverstein. An excellent independent film that explores the themes of familiarity and passion. Are they compatible? Or do they cancel each other out? Set in the Little Portugual's area of Toronto, Canada. Musically, Leonard Cohen is all over the place, along with other excellent artists. A great soundtrack.  I highly recommend it!!
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2012, 08:47:22 am »
I just finished watching the Sarah Pollo film "Take this Waltz". It stars Michelle Williams, Seth Rogen and Sarah Silverstein. An excellent independent film that explores the themes of familiarity and passion. Are they compatible? Or do they cancel each other out? Set in the Little Portugual's area of Toronto, Canada. Musically, Leonard Cohen is all over the place, along with other excellent artists. A great soundtrack.  I highly recommend it!!

it's in little portugal? i used to live there!! right at bloor/dufferin :). i'll have to check this movie out.

« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2012, 12:09:17 pm »
Some of my favs that I love to watch:

Aliens (1 & 2 Mainly, I like resurrection, but 3 didn't do it for me)
Dune (I love it, but I gotta be in the right mood)
The Fifth Element (Leloo......)
The Exorcist (Yip, it's a masterpiece)
Das Boot (Epic, especially the German version)
Blade Runner (Love the cyberpunk 'feel' of it)
Akira (Same as above)
Notting Hill (When I'm feeling a little 'gooey')

• kristenlm
  • Adventurer

• August 20, 2012, 09:52:16 am
    • Seoul-Sindang
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:31 pm »
So since it is October and Halloween season, I just downloaded my favs.

Monster Squad
Lost Boys
Buffy the Vampire slayer( the movie)
Hocus Pocus

I plan on watching them soon:)

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2012, 12:57:50 pm »
For those who are into European cinema:

Check out:

1: Underground, a Serbian film from 1995. Surrealist comedy spanning the entire era of Yugoslavia through the eyes of two crazy best friends that are also communists that run an underground weapon building. Can't recommend this movie enough.

2: The Last Circus (2011), two clowns locked together in a battle for the heart of a capricious woman in Franco-era Spain. Also surreal but bored me at times.

3: Life of Others, outstandingly beautiful Oscar Winner from 2002 (I think) about an East German spy, charged with surveilling an actor his superiours think may be subversive. The longer they spy keeps tabs, the more he gets drawn into his world. This movie almost had me in tears, it's really outstanding!

Well that'll do for now, just for people looking for something different to the standard Hollywood nonsense!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »

Check out:

1: Underground, a Serbian film from 1995. Surrealist comedy spanning the entire era of Yugoslavia through the eyes of two crazy best friends that are also communists that run an underground weapon building. Can't recommend this movie enough.

2: The Last Circus (2011), two clowns locked together in a battle for the heart of a capricious woman in Franco-era Spain. Also surreal but bored me at times.

3: Life of Others, outstandingly beautiful Oscar Winner from 2002 (I think) about an East German spy, charged with surveilling an actor his superiours think may be subversive. The longer they spy keeps tabs, the more he gets drawn into his world. This movie almost had me in tears, it's really outstanding!

Well that'll do for now, just for people looking for something different to the standard Hollywood nonsense!

i recommend a french movie called "la haine". it's freaky (in a good way), heart wrenching and bombastic. great film.

« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:34 pm »
Recently, I watched Excision. That was kinda weird but interesting. Since it's October, I'll probably watch Hocus Pocus sometime soon haha. I'm on a horror movie kick right now, anyway. I love horror movies.

• gclancy
  • Veteran

• March 27, 2012, 12:37:57 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #210 on: October 11, 2012, 03:03:29 pm »

Check out:

i recommend a french movie called "la haine". it's freaky (in a good way), heart wrenching and bombastic. great film.

Seen that, pretty good but very gritty! This is pretty far outside the realm of that movie (the only thing linking them is their Frenchness) but I'd also recommend Mic Macs, from the director of Amile. Still has the same sense of childish whimsey that imbues Amile.

Also Mesrine or Prophet, if you're into French gangster movies. Both pretty watchable, slightly better than the standard English language gangster fare (bar the absolute classics, of course!)

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• Korea
« Reply #211 on: October 11, 2012, 03:22:08 pm »
I teach all boys middle school and the movies that never fail are ...

Mr Beans holiday (1st and 2nd grade love it, 45 minutes of laughter, 3rd not so much, they're just tooooo cool)
The Benchwarmers (they ALL love it. There is a bit in there about ovulating but it just goes over their heads and they move on, but guaranteed laughs the whole lesson)
In Time (not sure about 1st grade but my 2nd and 3rd are glued. They find some bits funny and they are totally silent for the whole time. its great. Its relatively new so some saw it in the cinema but no matter, they love it, even my naughtiest 3rd grades give me some peace and quiet).
Jonny English (Movies 1 and 2. They all loved it, who doesn't love Mr Bean?!)
The Simpsons Movie (obviously all grades love it. There is the bit with Homer and his middle finger but ... they're boys)
Toy Story 3 (all grades)

And at Christmas they liked Elf ... some singing but they thought it was amusing at the same time and obviously Home Alone

That's quite the list of movies, when do you have the time to show them?

• cwhetsell
  • Veteran

• October 24, 2010, 05:40:45 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
« Reply #212 on: October 11, 2012, 03:45:51 pm »
I watched "Taken 2," but I really wanted to watch "The Expendables 2." Unfortunately, it's not out here yet.

I recently rented "The Loved Ones." It was good, but not too special. I recommend it to any horror fans though. Good stuff.

My friend also purchased "Prometheus" for me. Cool movie, has some flaws, but overall it's very entertaining.

• Luckylinda
  • Adventurer

• October 11, 2012, 06:33:12 pm
    • Gangneung
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2012, 11:57:36 am »
Tree of life-Boring
Ironman-good
Currently taking some vacation time in Europe!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »
Smart People. It was good. Not as good as Butter but still good.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2012, 03:57:50 pm »
just got back from seeing the new joseph gordon-levitt/bruce willis movie "looper".

in a word: phenomenal.

in more words: outstandingly good. great story, excellent subtle effects, and brilliant drama and tension. i can't remember that last movie that made me want to stand up and clap for at the end! highly recommend it.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2012, 09:32:54 pm »
The Dark Knight Rises... more like disappointment of the year.

Amazing Spider-Man, however, was excellent.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• Korea
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2012, 10:41:13 pm »
Just finished watching 'Safe House' and now I'm going to need a lie down and cup of something soothing! Good film.

• rach229
  • Veteran

• September 08, 2011, 07:57:51 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2012, 02:55:22 pm »
just got back from seeing the new joseph gordon-levitt/bruce willis movie "looper".

in more words: outstandingly good. great story, excellent subtle effects, and brilliant drama and tension. i can't remember that last movie that made me want to stand up and clap for at the end! highly recommend it.

Hold the phone! Is this out in Korea?! It has been on my watchlist!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• daejeon
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2012, 03:04:48 pm »

Hold the phone! Is this out in Korea?! It has been on my watchlist!

came out last week.

run, don't walk!! it's superb.