Read 99865 times

Re: What movies are you watching??? Just curious....
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »
I just finished watching Bunraku from 2010.  Highly recommended if you like stylized fighting, westerns, sci fi, pop-up books, pin ball and puppets.  And that bartender guy from Cheers.

Now I have to see the Japanese version from the 60s.

Most recent in theatre - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  I thought it was brilliant, but I'm a sucker for anything with Gary Oldman.

Last week I watched The Good, the Bad, the Weird (from 09 or 10 I think) and frigging loved it.

If you like Japanese Bunraku theatre, try Takeshi Kitano's (Beat Takeshi) 'Dolls.'  It's a slow mover, with little dialouge but is one of the most gorgeous and unforgettable films I have ever seen and imo - his best.  Borrows from Bunraku in both form and theme.

• Harpoinseoul
  • Expert Waygook

• March 23, 2011, 06:49:03 pm
    • Coquitlam, BC
    more
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 03:05:50 pm »
I really enjoyed Midnight in Paris, A Separation, A Dangerous Method, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Millenium-The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, Outsourced, Sherlock Holmes-A Game of Shadows, The Tmpest, Treasure Island (UK TV Series), among others.

BTW, DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP, which Shanghai films would you recommend?
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

• unclefrank
  • Super Waygook

• April 22, 2011, 01:06:32 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 03:12:21 pm »
"Before the Devil knows you're dead" was a good one.

• jimiready
  • Adventurer

• October 14, 2010, 02:31:08 pm
    • Gyeongsamnam-do
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 03:22:29 pm »
Oh, yeah!  I  almost forgot.  I also  just watched Inside Job,  a documentary about the financial collapse of 2008.  I highly recommend seeing it!
Yeah, Inside Job was v interesting - and depressing that they got away with it all.
Oliver Stone's doco 'South of the Border' is also v interesting. Essential viewing for those who tune into Fox News on a regular basis...LOL
We've also just watched the HBO TV mini-series Generation Kill, written by the guys who co-wrote The Wire series, and based on the book by an embedded journalist (Evan Wright, I think) during the 2nd American invasion of Iraq.
Ive just watched The Rum Diary with Johnny Depp as a semi-autobiographical Hunter.S. Thompson in Puerto Rico in 1960.
Drive has been the stand-out, though. So much is so good about that movie! The elevator scene that pays tribute to 'Irreversible' is hardcore but not out of place. Check it!
Don't be put off, you blokes, by the title: Bridesmaids is a great comedy movie from last year. Almost as good as The Guard.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 03:42:53 pm »
Generation Kill is fantastic.  Really great writing, as you would expect from the team behind the wire, and you get to know the unit.

I enjoyed Bridesmaids enough, but i thought it lost it's way during the second half and reverted back to generic comedy.

Thanks for the oliver stone recommendation, i'm english and don't watch fox news, but i'll check that one out.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 03:45:24 pm »
Also, add "Kill List" to your lists if you haven't seen it.  Possible the most polarising film i've seen in years.  people really do either love it or hate it.

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »
Also, add "Kill List" to your lists if you haven't seen it.  Possible the most polarising film i've seen in years.  people really do either love it or hate it.

Fell asleep just after the dinner party scenes.  God that was dull and drawn out...   Might give it another go, skip the dinner scenes and get straight into the action (if there is any...?)

Harpo - I have only watched 'Shanghai Triad' so far and it was great.  So much atmosphere and contrast.  And as before mentioned, the end is brilliant.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:51:15 pm by DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP »

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 04:10:00 pm »
I thought Drive was a brilliant flick, and as previously mentioned great soundtrack (I recognized at least one original track from ‘Traffic’), and I totally dug the whole 80’s motif.  It gets my vote for best movie of the year.  I really like Terrance Malick’s work, in particular ‘The Thin Red Line’ however I wasn’t a huge fan of ‘The Tree of Life’ great cinematography, but a little too grandiose for me. 

Recently watched ‘Shame’ good movie, but very strong content.

I liked ‘Margin Call’ as well – based on a Lehman Brothers like bank, which contributes to the economic crisis.  The whole movie takes place in a 24 hour time period. 

I'm also a huge fan of 'The Wire' (one of the best T.V. dramas ever made in my opinion) so I'll check out the HBO mini-series if I get a chance.  I’ve been looking for a good T.V. show to get into, and just started watching ‘Boardwalk Empire’ – so far so good.

PS - Definitely not trying to hijack the thread to good T.V. shows, but the topic previously came up. 

• rhizome
  • Waygookin

• August 23, 2011, 06:28:07 am
    • Toronto, CA
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 06:36:23 am »
If you like Japanese Bunraku theatre, try Takeshi Kitano's (Beat Takeshi) 'Dolls.'  It's a slow mover, with little dialouge but is one of the most gorgeous and unforgettable films I have ever seen and imo - his best.  Borrows from Bunraku in both form and theme.

Sweet!  I liked Zatoichi, so I'll definately check this out.  Thanks for the rec.

• Driver 8
  • Veteran

• March 14, 2011, 07:34:49 pm
    • Ganggyeonng, South Korea
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 08:17:06 am »

I'm also a huge fan of 'The Wire' (one of the best T.V. dramas ever made in my opinion) so I'll check out the HBO mini-series if I get a chance.  I’ve been looking for a good T.V. show to get into, and just started watching ‘Boardwalk Empire’ – so far so good.

Steve: I know this thread is about movies, but if you're a huge fan of The Wire, I  highly recommend you read The Corner.   Amazing, thought-provoking book.

Generation Kill was a good show.  It sort of reinforced my belief that it's a bad idea for some (myself, especially) to join the military.   No disrespect to those who have served, but if that show was a accurate portrayal  of what it was like to fight in the most recent  Iraq War, not thanks for me.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:19:57 am by Driver 8 »

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2012, 10:08:20 am »
@Driver8:  Thanks for the book recommendation, I just got a Kindle last week so I've been looking some books, cheers!

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2012, 12:30:26 pm »

Fell asleep just after the dinner party scenes.  God that was dull and drawn out...   Might give it another go, skip the dinner scenes and get straight into the action (if there is any...?)

Yes, there's lots.  But like i said, it's not a film for everyone but you should see it all before making judgement.  I'm guessing you'll still hate it, but worth the watch.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 12:47:38 pm »
Not a movie, but I just watched this mini documentary about a kid named Ross Capicchioni, a skateboarder from Detroit who has one of the craziest, most heart wrenching stories I've heard. It's only 15 minutes long, but I recommend giving it a quick watch if you have time, made me grateful to be alive.

Here's part one.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&list=PL719EB009AAF684FF&v=O3z4NMWdTcg

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »
two of my favorite movies:

GranTorino,
Good Will Hunting

I loved Gran Torino so much I did something I had never done before, or since. I wrote Clint a letter of appreciation. Laos is my home, my brother in law is Hmong and the representation of them and their culture was spot on, as was the language, which I could mostly understand.

I was working as the Communications Director for a media company and sent the letter on letterhead with the matching envelope. That, plus a stamp from Laos obviously caught someone's attention because 2 months later I received a autographed 8X10 from Clint!

It is framed and hangs proudly on my wall.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »
Just saw Warrior for the first time.  It was pretty good.  One of the brothers reminded me of Randy Quaid LOL (only fit and younger) and the other brother reminded me of Sean Penn LOL.

In an empire of lies, telling the truth is treason - Ron Paul

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »
Warrior was better than I expected.  I'm not really into those Rocky type movies, but it was entertaining enough, if a little predictable. 

I thought Moneyball was great.  I like baseball (and the A's) but I thought it would be another Brad Pitt vanity project.  It was so much more, and very informative.  Made me miss watching pro baseball, something I gave up after the 1994 strike (the Expos were robbed!). 

I recently saw We Need to Talk About Kevin, which I had high hopes for. I was mostly disappointed, but I did find myself thinking about the movie quite a bit afterwards.  It was obvious and unnecessarily opaque in RED, but sort of galling.  I wish the story was given more attention than the direction, though.  At times I found myself wondering if I was watching a first year film student's interpretation of a good story, rather than watching a good story interpreted by a good director.

Contagion was pretty good.  I don't want to give anything away, so that sort of halts my critique of it.  But it's worth a look, especially if you like end of the world (?) movies with actual characters. 

The Help was much better than I anticipated.  There's been lots said about it, so I don't really need to add to that.  But it was much more than I thought it would be from it's stated premise. 

I liked X-Men.  But I grew up thumbing for their newest additions with my father behind me looking for authentic Tin Tins.  So I might be biased (No, I haven't seen Tin Tin yet.  Told my dad, who hasn't been to a movie theatre since disco was hot and still has his original 1986 VCR player that I would watch it with him when I visited this summer.  His response: "**** you!  I'm goin' to see it this Friday! Yer sister downloaded me a ticket on the computer and everything!"). 

I though Bridesmaids was the funniest comedy of the year.  Maybe of the last few years.  It inspired me to watch SNL again for the fist time in over a decade.  Yeah, that didn't work out.  But Kristen Wiig is talented.  That airplane scene is one for the ages, I could (and have) watched it over and over again.  Still laughing.

For docs, the HBO special Hot Coffee was very informative.  Try also (available on youtube for now) The Shock Doctrine.

The Muppet Movie.  Sensational Inspirational Celebrational Muppetational!

The Descendants was unbelievably boring and bordered on unrealistic--which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when the one positive is supposed to be that it's a realistic view of family tragedy, it's the bowling ball that takes you down.  Let me sum it up for you: George Clooney looking sad...in Hawaii!.  Boom, done.  I sincerely don't understand the hype around it.  Ok, I do.  Clooney could wipe his butt with a script and the public and critics would line up to stroke him off for it.  But this movie is pointless and frustrating to think handsomeness is enough to make you an adored multi-millionaire who is thought of as an artist.  Give me that jaw line and silky voice and I'm suddenly Van Gogh.  It's sort of insulting, if it wasn't so charming...in Hawaii!

Overall, I feel like it was a slow year in movies.  I love going to the theatre and being blown away, but I only went to see X-Men this year.  Whenever I have a free night and want to download something I find myself looking at past years instead of this one.  Maybe I was just out of the loop.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:12:09 pm by orangeman »

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »
I liked Contagion.

I haven't watched many newer movies as of late... some of the sequels, before I came to Korea, but since then I've just been re-watching some older movies. Recently reviewed Shutter (the US one with Jackson). Kept up with my tradition of watching Hocus Pocus every Halloween and V for Vendetta every November the 5th.

I was really disappointed with Drive. So boring and drawn out, it reminded me of Twin Peaks in terms of its progression... no thanks. I'm going to be giving Moneyball a shot, though.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 01:02:56 am »
I'm watching "The Grey" right now.  Pretty good....but mainly cuz Liam Neeson is just awesome.  He makes any movie good.  Can't wait for Taken 2 to come out soon.

• xtreme
  • Explorer

• March 19, 2012, 12:39:40 pm
    • nowhere
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 12:37:31 pm »
BBC documentary The Joy of Disco...

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:06 pm »
I'm watching the True Valor and the Devil wears Prada