Read 4584 times

• jammyb
  • Veteran

• September 15, 2011, 02:54:32 pm
How many of your students' names can you remember?
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:33:30 pm »
I work in a school with around 600 students and have been here for 6 months. I probably teach around 250 of these students on a two- or three-time weekly basis. I estimate to have learned close to half of their names so that I can individually greet them when I see their face. It makes forming a personal connection with my students so much easier, and then these students are engaged in learning English.

How many students do you teach, and how many of their names can you remember?

I hope by the end of the year to know every student on a first name basis, which give-or-take I am on track for. Korean names are so different from Western names, and often sound so similar to each other. What techniques can you offer to speed up the name-learning process?

Thanks ;D

• Amandada6262000
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2011, 08:48:17 am
    • Jinju, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea
Re: How many of your students' names can you remember?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »
Well, this is kind of a cop out on my behalf... but, when I first got here, I had my students choose English names. I gave each class a different set of names to ensure that no student in the school had the same name as another student, or let them choose their own names (I have a G-Dragon, Diropa, Park Jisung, Mona Riza- we were learning about the Mona Lisa that week- HA!) Anyway, this might sound complicated, I know, but I teach about 200 kids and by my second month, I could name 98% of them. I gave a copy of the class roster (in English, with Korean names next to them) to my co-teacher and she knows their names, too. Now I know every single kid's name in my school- granted, I DON'T know all of their real names... I'm not proud of it, but hey. My students know their English names and they respond to them. I chose names that would be easy for me to remember: family members, best friends, famous people, etc. It works for me!

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:35 pm »
or let them choose their own names (I have a G-Dragon, Diropa, Park Jisung, Mona Riza- we were learning about the Mona Lisa that week- HA!) copy of the class roster

actually i think your student meant "Drogba" as in "didier Drogba".
he is a football player for Chelsea in England.
anyway, good for you !sounds great

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:20:22 pm »
Wasn't there a post about this a few months back?

Anyway, I've made it a challenge to learn at least 2/3rds of the names in each class of my MS 1st and 2nd grades.  It makes a supreme difference when you know someone's name...although with winter break nearly over, I'm nervous about the names when school starts again next week.  I should be alright once I'm back in the Danger Zone :D

Good for you though, I'm happy you're taking the time out to learn their names.  It really means a lot to them.  Sometimes, they're Korean teachers don't even know their names...and I thought that would have been easier for the educators.

What tips can I offer?  Try to group them.  Maybe learn the trouble students first, then good students, quiet students, etc... you'll know who they are.  Also, some names are SUPER similar.  For example, in one class, I have Woojin, Sujin, Yejin, and Seokjin.  In another I have Suyeon, Soyeon, Jungyeon.  Also, there are obvious female and male names.  Furthermore, think of Korean celebrities.  If a celeb and student share the same name, it's much easier.  There's an actor named Hyunsu, and the odds of having a Hyunsu in each of your classes are high.
You get what you give :)

• chasmmi
  • Veteran

• January 21, 2012, 02:30:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 03:56:28 pm »
just call them all 야 :)

Seriously I remember about 90% of my students names after only a month here (although having a total of 27 students helps me here.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 05:49:21 pm »
I am atrocious with names but I do know a handful of them. I came rather late into the semester so I'm going to make more of an effort to get to know the names this coming year.

It really doesn't help when there are two 김지현s and two 이민재s in the same class  :'(
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• SpaceRook
  • Expert Waygook

• November 18, 2010, 11:54:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:07:39 am »
What tips can I offer?  Try to group them.  Maybe learn the trouble students first, then good students, quiet students, etc... you'll know who they are.  Also, some names are SUPER similar.  For example, in one class, I have Woojin, Sujin, Yejin, and Seokjin.  In another I have Suyeon, Soyeon, Jungyeon.

See, that doesn't help me.  The fact that they are so similar actually makes it more difficult for me to remember.  All the hee/hae/ho/jee/jae/jo/sook/suk/so/su tend to run together after awhile.  It doesn't help that 99% of the time I can just read their jackets, which gives my brain permission to instantly forget the name.

I do know my co-teacher's Korean names, I'm happy to say. 

• Uhfotis
  • Veteran

• December 29, 2009, 12:19:38 pm
    • Wonju,
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:40:54 am »
When I was teaching high school I had over 800 different students a week. I told the students if they really wanted me to remember their names they needed to introduce themselves to me and tell me their names every time they see me until I tell them to stop. Most of the kids didn't actually care and the one's who did I learned their names pretty quickly.

• Amandada6262000
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2011, 08:48:17 am
    • Jinju, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:16 am »
or let them choose their own names (I have a G-Dragon, Diropa, Park Jisung, Mona Riza- we were learning about the Mona Lisa that week- HA!) copy of the class roster

actually i think your student meant "Drogba" as in "didier Drogba".
he is a football player for Chelsea in England.

Upon further inspection, Diropa is a character in Starcraft :) Haha funny either way though!

• Peekay1982
  • Expert Waygook

• October 04, 2010, 09:12:28 am
    • 부산
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:29:39 am »
There are about 600 kids in my school. I know about half of their names. I have been there for three and a half years, though.

• gookway
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2011, 12:22:19 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:04 am »
I would not recommend making english names or allowing them to choose english names for themselves lol.
I have one student who has 4 english names now because she got bored of her first one and picked 3 new ones.
On top of her korean name, now I have to remember 5 names just for one student.

Just stick with the korean names.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:19:19 am »
A good idea to implement with English names is to attach the names to the desks (figuratively or literally). That way, when seating changes [as it seems to do frequently in most schools] you will always know where Michael or Susan are, because they'll always be in the same seat.

A friend of mine implemented that at her hagwon and the kids love it, especially when genders cross.  :laugh:
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Dweebs1
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:52:11 pm
    • Yeongwol, Gangwon-do
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 11:03:34 am »
I can remember all of my students names. I have about 160 students and the only way I could remember all their names was by giving them English names. I see them from 2 to 5 times a week. I also try talking to most of the students during the week. The only problem I have is getting their names mixed up.

• Bump
  • Veteran

• April 26, 2011, 12:07:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 11:04:21 am »
I remember all of my students' names from one class...because it's the one class I actually like.  The rest of the classes...eh, not so much. 

• amarok18
  • Explorer

• February 01, 2012, 12:22:11 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:02 pm »
After 2 months, I remember 10 names.

• C_Right
  • Adventurer

• March 09, 2011, 03:17:52 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »
My method is to give them all English names, which I think is totally okay. I was Juan in Spanish class and I knew it was just for fun.  Besides, I taught with some very good foreign language teachers in the US Ė some of whom didnít even know the studentsí real names, which was funny in staff meeting, but showed they were really into their subject (and of course they always had a chart they could reference for the real name.)

My memory is not so good, but I have a pretty good method that is good for memorizing 200-300 students. If I tried to remember Korean names maybe half of that would be possible. This works best if done over the course of several classes.

1.)   Get a picture of each student and put them into a Word table listing their Korean name below the picture.

2.)   Ask all the kids if they have a preference for an English name, and insert that name alongside the Korean name.

3.)   During prep time use an alphabetized western name list and give each student an English name that somewhat resembles their Korean name, or at least has the same first letter of one of their first names, etc.

4.)   Show the students their names on the TV or screen, along with the option to change if they have a better name.

5.)   Have the students write their English name on a card, and glue it into their book (so they don't forget.)

6.)   Add the English names to the Word table, and print it out.

7.)   Put the kids into a seating chart using the English names.

8.)   Memorize/study the picture table and seating chart.

This takes a lot of time, but itís totally worth the effort for classroom management and building relationships with the students.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:28:09 pm by serightna »

• richarquis
  • Veteran

• November 08, 2010, 01:00:30 pm
    • South Korea, Gyeongsangnam-Do, Changwon-Si
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:12 am »
Ha, virtually none. I have 1400 students, about 600 of whom I have classes with, the remainder who run screaming and grabbing at my legs in the hallways. There are a standout few who really make themselves known  - A wonderful example being a boy named 이호식 - Lee Ho Shik. He is very fat, and one day I was astounded to hear my KT call him Ho Shik I (in Korean, no "L" sound). I asked why she called him that, and she told me it was his name. She had, as all the students and teachers do, westernised his name and put surname last. The catch is, here in Changwon, and I'm not sure where else, there is a chain of fried chicken takeaways called Ho-Si-Gi, same sound as his name. So, yeah, we have a fat kid named "Fried Chicken." Obviously, I'm never gonna forget him. He's awesome, never lets teasing or jokes upset him, and is a complete class clown, always dancing around, making jokes, smiling and laughing, and fantastic manners.

As for the others... I have a trick which always gets me off the hook when they come running at me, asking "Teacher, do you know my name?" I look at them, pretending to concentrate, and hesitantly, answer with any 3 syllable Korean word or phrase I can remember at the time. My favourites are 쿤멍키 (Big monkey), 이상한 (strange, weird), 틍틍해 (fat), 지르한 or 심심한 (boring). Anytime that I happen to have another in my head I'll drag that out. Once I say the word, their friends all start chanting the word, and I slip away having dodged the onus of actually answering the question. Great fun, I also apply it to random kids on the streets if they do the same.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:06 am »
Ha, virtually none. I have 1400 students, about 600 of whom I have classes with, the remainder who run screaming and grabbing at my legs in the hallways. There are a standout few who really make themselves known  - A wonderful example being a boy named 이호식 - Lee Ho Shik. He is very fat, and one day I was astounded to hear my KT call him Ho Shik I (in Korean, no "L" sound). I asked why she called him that, and she told me it was his name. She had, as all the students and teachers do, westernised his name and put surname last. The catch is, here in Changwon, and I'm not sure where else, there is a chain of fried chicken takeaways called Ho-Si-Gi, same sound as his name. So, yeah, we have a fat kid named "Fried Chicken." Obviously, I'm never gonna forget him. He's awesome, never lets teasing or jokes upset him, and is a complete class clown, always dancing around, making jokes, smiling and laughing, and fantastic manners.

As for the others... I have a trick which always gets me off the hook when they come running at me, asking "Teacher, do you know my name?" I look at them, pretending to concentrate, and hesitantly, answer with any 3 syllable Korean word or phrase I can remember at the time. My favourites are 쿤멍키 (Big monkey), 이상한 (strange, weird), 틍틍해 (fat), 지르한 or 심심한 (boring). Anytime that I happen to have another in my head I'll drag that out. Once I say the word, their friends all start chanting the word, and I slip away having dodged the onus of actually answering the question. Great fun, I also apply it to random kids on the streets if they do the same.

큰멍키
뚱뚱해
Sorry, I don't mean to be the Korean police (mine is horrible).
 ;)
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 11:18:10 am »
I am terrible at remembering names, just terrible. After an entire year I can remember precisely zero student's names and I have about 90 students that I see twice a week.

Thus I call all the girls "dear" and all the guys "dude". They like it!

I was going to try the name on the desk thing, which I think is a great idea, but they change desks pretty much every class.

I know the important people: my co-teacher and the guy who pays me.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• deckolan
  • Waygookin

• March 21, 2011, 10:37:41 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 08:13:29 pm »
I made an effort to learn the students names throughout the year. The students definitely respond better when they are called by name. I have probably learned just over half of the students names - thats about 150 out of 300. Personally Im not fan of giving English names.