Read 7803 times

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
How to file Korean income tax return for last year
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:22:27 am »
So I started working for a Korean public school in March 2010 and I have never filed a Korean income tax return (I'm from Canada and don't get the two year exemption). AFAIK my school makes all the necessary deductions and other than the resident tax bills I receive from my gu office I haven't heard anything personally about Korean taxes. I'm a bit late being proactive about this but how does one file taxes late? It would be a good idea as:

1. there's a penalty for filing Korean tax return late.

2. you may be eligible for a refund.

3. Canada may require proof I paid taxes elsewhere in the future.

Form 40-4 from the NTS website seems like the form to fill out for single income taxpayers.

http://www.nts.go.kr/eng/resources/resour_41.asp?top_code=R001&sub_code=RS04&ssub_code=RSD1

I'd need proof of income from my school and print out debit/credit card expense summaries from my bank at the least.

Any other info I should know about filing late taxes?
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

• Epistemology
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 19, 2010, 01:57:27 pm
    more
Re: How to file Korean income tax return for last year
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:02:43 pm »
Its tax time again and my new school refuses to do the taxes for me this year. Been given a 6 page long form that is a mighty wall of text and have been told "do it yourself."

Previous schools did it for me, so I am literally clueless about how to even tackle this behemoth.

UK and US tax returns were scary enough in the past...this one looks like it takes the biscuit when it comes to that though...

Away an bile yer heid ya numpty,ye dinnae ken whit yer talkin aboot.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 07:17:50 pm »
I started working in Korea in September 2012. When do I have to start filing taxes? I plan to live in Korea for a long time. Do I not have to do taxes until I've worked a full year?

When is Korean tax season?? When is the deadline?

I am Canadian and Canadian tax season ends in April, I believe (I usually file early, in Feb or March) and I want to figure out what to do with Korean taxes before I deal with Canada.

I really want to try doing it on my own before asking my coteachers. I can't seem to find much information online about doing Korean taxes. Just how to do Canadian taxes while in Korea.

if you're planning on staying for a while, file for non-residency in canada. just google it and send them the form.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• kiwityke
  • Super Waygook

• October 20, 2011, 07:51:05 am
    • Gimpo, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:03:03 am »
I started working in Korea in September 2012. When do I have to start filing taxes? I plan to live in Korea for a long time. Do I not have to do taxes until I've worked a full year?

When is Korean tax season?? When is the deadline?

I am Canadian and Canadian tax season ends in April, I believe (I usually file early, in Feb or March) and I want to figure out what to do with Korean taxes before I deal with Canada.

I really want to try doing it on my own before asking my coteachers. I can't seem to find much information online about doing Korean taxes. Just how to do Canadian taxes while in Korea.

if you're planning on staying for a while, file for non-residency in canada. just google it and send them the form.

I have a tax-free savings account in Canada (which I can only keep if I file Canadian taxes). I don't really want to take it out, and a portion of it is locked for a year (locked until August 2013), so I can't take that part out anyways.

I am planning on keeping my residency in Canada for the time being because of this and some other reasons.

Whether or not I keep my Canadian residency, I need to file Korean taxes anyways. My question again is, how do I file Korean taxes?

Speaking as a former accountant if you file taxes in Canada be prepared to have to pay tax on your earnings in Korea also...

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 07:00:45 pm »
How do I get a "public internet certificate"?

Can it be acquired online?

Is anyone else going through this right now?
Creating shared values

• smackle3
  • Adventurer

• October 23, 2013, 02:41:32 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 08:23:07 am »
How do I get a "public internet certificate"?

Can it be acquired online?

Is anyone else going through this right now?

Is this so you can get the forms from NTS, like your debit card and health payment information? If so, you can use your online banking certificate.