Read 4735 times

• beach_bum
  • Adventurer

• March 15, 2010, 09:07:48 pm
    • South Korea
Head Shop, Japan vs Korea
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:12 am »
Hey,
Was on a recent trip to Japan and came across a good few head shops on my travels. I was surprised at how liberal Japan was in this regard. I'm curious has anyone ever seen a head shop in Korea!? I seriously doubt they exist here but considering they are in full swing just over the water I find it hard to imagine they don't exist here! Anyone any clue as to the existence of head shops here?

Re: Head Shop, Japan vs Korea
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:45 am »
Why would you want even want to find one?

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:14:51 am »
Narcotic use in Korea is VERY, VERY illegal.
You just posted in a public forum that you are interested in illegal substances. Not very smart.

Also it is standard practice to have medicals which include a drugs test when contracts are made/renewed. Most people wont touch the stuff for that reason alone.

If you are caught using or abusing substances, there will likely be a jail term with a low chance of parole according to the US embassy site, just scroll down a bit http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_legal.html

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:21:19 am »
You just posted in a public forum that you are interested in illegal substances. Not very smart.

Also it is standard practice to have medicals which include a drugs test when contracts are made/renewed. Most people wont touch the stuff for that reason alone.

If you are caught using or abusing substances, there will likely be a jail term with a low chance of parole according to the US embassy site, just scroll down a bit http://seoul.usembassy.gov/acs_legal.html

Yes, and  keep in mind here INTERNAL POSSESSION IS A FELONY!!!!! You pee positive, you go to jail.

• w4z
  • Veteran

• November 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:30 am »
Thank you all for such wonderful common knowledge!

Maybe the dude just wants to go to a Korean headshop... Jeez.  Those pipes can be used to smoke tobacco you know...

I don't partake in the leaf, but to each their own.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:57:39 am »
So... now that we've been warned can we continue with the discussion?  The OP didn't say he was interested in using drugs, just that he was surprised to see a head shop in Japan.

My understanding is marijuana is very illegal in Japan and viewed similarly to how it is in Korea.  Japan does have more of a counterculture than here but I'd still be surprised to see those items sold out in the open.

I was also surprised to see a head shop in a busy night market in Taipei.   

• beach_bum
  • Adventurer

• March 15, 2010, 09:07:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 11:43:52 am »
As rutherford said I was just talking about an observation I made. Lighten up people- I didn't ask anything about illegal anything- just that as previously mentioned the culture in Korea and Japan is quite similar in a lot of respects and for that reason I thought it strange to see a head shop ina country that I always thought to be so conservative. Please contribute to the discussion if you have something useful to say! I along with every other foreigner in Korea knows all too well about the attitude towards drugs here- we don't need to be reminded every time there's a post even remotely connected to the issue of drugs!

• miss_cho
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2011, 10:00:55 am
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »
Sorry, nothing to add to the issue about head shops here in Korea but I wanted to say that your observation about the head shops in Japan surprised me. Japan does have extremely strict drug laws - from what's been described they seem to be quite similar to Korea's laws. You can't even bring in any prescribed medications with codeine or some over the counter cold medicines into the country due to the strict laws. Marijuana is illegal and possession is punished far more severely than in countries like the United States. From what I understand the laws don't differentiate between drugs like marijuana or cocaine - they have the same penalties and can be severe. I do know that the laws had a few loopholes because psychedelic shrooms could be sold and consumed legally until June of 2002. At that same time (when  lived there) I heard rumors that Ecstasy was still legal.

All that being said I had a high school student who when he showed up to school was typically stoned so drugs are obviously there and available for people looking for them. I guess my surprise is that the headshops were easily accessible.

• Amandada6262000
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2011, 08:48:17 am
    • Jinju, Gyeongsangnam-do, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:22 pm »
Ehh, everyone needs to chill out and stop hating on this guy. Most head shops (even in the US) don't even sell drugs. There is also a difference between curiosity and intent to score some illicit substances (which, again, would probably not be easily found, especially at a head shop in Korea).

That being said, your best bet to find this kind of place would be to ask a like-minded Korean. I know there are places like this out there: While trying to hail a cab in Tongyeong recently and saw a tiny hole in the wall kind of place that was selling different kinds of pipes, but unfortunately I didn't go in.

I know it is completely different (ie, legality) but I was pretty curious to see what the inside of a Korean sex toy store looked like. My friends seemed to think these existed in bigger cities, but our little town, never. I live in a pretty conservative place and truthfully never expected to find one near me. I asked my friend if she knew where one was, and off the top of her head, named two that were in that neighborhood. BAM! we were inside ten minutes later.

Let me know if you find one! It would be interesting to see what kinds of things are inside.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »
They have the headshops in Japan, but get caught with weed and the penalties are as harsh as in Korea and the cops, possibly even harsher.

• kps1
  • Expert Waygook

• June 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:25 am »

Give me a break.