Read 1051 times

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
Slow/Not getting a reference
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:25:50 pm »
So you need two reference letters for a job in Korea.  I have asked for one from my old company, the guy said he passed it on.  How long should I wait as they are probably not putting it as a priority.

The other I hope to get from university, they are helpful on the phone but their email correspondance is awful.  Plus they want 25 for transcripts.

What should I do I only have around 4 people who could write me a reference, I have a month to get this sorted.

You all know what I'm thinking but it is not really my style.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: Slow/Not getting a reference
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:35 am »
Basically, this is what I understand:

If you have already worked in Korea:
Your references should be only from those you have worked for in Korea. If you spent only one year, you must have one of the two reference letters from your previous Korean employer.

If you have NOT already worked in Korea:
Reference letters are fairly open. You don't need them from employers, unless you are applying to a program that counts professional work experience as a higher pay scale or a requirement for the job. In my first year, I used to personal reference letters. If you are applying to a public school position, that shouldn't be an issue, unless you are applying to work in Seoul, in which case, they will probably either pass you up, or lecture you on lying to them.

I would contact whoever your recruiter or future employer is and double check with them.

• tails
  • Veteran

• November 22, 2011, 07:43:51 pm
    • Cambridge, England
Re: Slow/Not getting a reference
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »
Thanks gilbert, I have asked my recruiter, so will hopefully get a reply when Canada wakes up which is about now!! 
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.