Read 2174 times

• Bronco
  • Newgookin

• December 27, 2010, 02:03:48 pm
    • Daejeon
Advice on shipping household goods from Korea to the U.S.
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »
My wife and I are scheduled to depart Korea at the end of Feb., and although we don't have much to send, what we do have we'd prefer to keep. Any advice/links/costs regarding a legitimate company to either ship or freight goods to the U.S. would be greatly appreciated.

• americaussie
  • Waygookin

• October 11, 2010, 12:13:42 pm
    • 840 UNITED STATES
Re: Advice on shipping household goods from Korea to the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:35:23 pm »
If it's large stuff, i am afraid I can't give you advice.  If it can be boxed, Korean surface mail  is not expensive.  The first time I left I shipped 5 boxes for about 200k won.  Time table to the US is 2 months, but mine arrived on the East coast in about 4-5 weeks, in good nick.  Someone told me that these boxes are sprayed for bugs, but I can't confirm this.

Max box weight  for the post office is is 20 kg.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:07:11 pm by americaussie »

Re: Advice on shipping household goods from Korea to the U.S.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:41:21 pm »
Use the post office. Very cheap, very fast and never had any problems of sending up to 20 heavy parcels home. I think they have stopped doing surface mail to the states though, which might make a difference if you are looking to save money over quickness. Used surface mail (ship) to send to Canada and worked out to about 7, 15 kg boxes being under 250,000 and all the boxes were delivered in 3 weeks even though they said it could take 3 months. If that doesn't work you might be able to find out information in Seoul or areas with larger army bases about the services GI's can use to send freight home. Hope that helps.