Read 1571 times

Exchange money here or send home?
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »
I'll be leaving Korea for the U.S. in a couple months, and I've been thinking about what would be the best way to transfer my money home. I have a KEB account specifically for sending money back, but naturally that incurs charges from both KEB and my home bank (BoA). Wouldn't it make more sense for me to just buy dollars here and then fly home with them instead of transferring through the banks? The amount will probably only be ~$8,000, so I shouldn't have any issues with customs.

Re: Exchange money here or send home?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:27:03 pm »
Alright, thanks!

$$$ Taking WON back to the U.S. $$$
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 05:31:08 pm »
I'm finishing up my contract in a month and I was wondering what the best way to get the won I've saved up back home. "Best" meaning cheapest.

I know I can do a bank transfer from KEB to my home checking account.

I know I can withdraw everything, take it back to the U.S. and exchange it there.

I know I can withdraw everything and exchange it here in Korea.

What's the best/cheapest way to do this? Also, do you have any other ways that I didn't mention. Thanks!

• amya
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 09:55:40 am
    • Yeoju
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:00:37 pm »
Set up a citibank account both here in Korea and back home in the US. In the US you can do it on the internet, in Korea...well just ask for the day off and get it done. There are branches all around.

There is no charge for sending money from citi to citi and I haven't been charged between sending money from my current NH account to my korean citibank account.

So send home 999.99 dollars a day for 8 days and keep ALL your money.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »
or dont go through all the hastle and just give up the 30,000 won

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 02:16:15 pm »
Is it necessary to set up a 'different' account if there are branches in both countries? Why not access the same Citibank account from both countries?